x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Some HPCs I bought came with WiFi cards, I now have 3, which to keep?

aab Page Icon Posted 2011-11-11 4:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The MP900 I bought months ago didn't come with a WiFi card so I bought one for about $7 on eBay. Then as I bought more handhelds 2 of them came with WiFi cards (and other cards). I now have 7 PCMCIA cards and 4 CF cards.

I obviously don't need 3 network cards, I don't mind moving it from one handheld to the other the very rare times I need internet access. My question is which of the 3 should I keep, they are:

-Orinoco Gold
-Cisco Aironet 340 (AIR-PCM340)
-Linksys WPC54GS v1.1

The Linksys has a gold strip above the contacts which I read means its a 32bit card which not only isn't compatible but can damage the handheld, so that one's out, plus Linksys products always mysteriously fail just after the warranty so I'm done getting scammed by Linksys.

That leaves the 2 others, my first choice would be the Cisco since it's more compact than the Orinoco, but is it compatible with CE 2.0 like the MP700 & HP 360LX? I assume it works on the MP900 if it works on the Jornada 720?

If the Cisco is compatible with all my handhelds then I'll keep that one.

Thanks
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-11-11 4:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Actually, what CF WiFi cards would be compatible? It might make sense to replace all 3 with a CF card which would also have the advantage of working in my Palm Size PCs, thought I'm not sure I'd ever really want or need internet on them.

Edited by aab 2011-11-11 4:40 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-11-11 5:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you keep one, keep the Orinoco.
See the HCL for compatibility data.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-11 5:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Definitely the Orinoco Gold...
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-11-11 6:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Why not the Cisco? Thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-11 6:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Both are good cards, but the Orinoco has established itself as being compatible with more devices than the 340, and it also has a little better transmission range...

If you had the Cisco 350 then it would have been a toss up. Plus, have you ever tried to download drivers from the Cisco website....it used to be a nightmare...

Still I have a Cisco 350 that has never failed me and works great.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-11-11 6:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The 340 supports less encryption standards than the 350. The only comparable 34x is the 342. The orinoco also supports reference drivers so you will get it going on more versions of CE. Cisco stopped making drivers and that was that.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2011-11-11 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The Orinoco will also support WPA, if you are running on CE.NET.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 34