x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Egress RSS Reader Runs on J-720

1 2
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-21 8:54 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
http://garishkernels.net/egress.shtml

Other than QMail3's non-html rss reader, this is the only stand-alone rss reader I could find. It's a PPC app, but runs well with RedGear. It installs on the storage card, and I was even able to move its two small dlls (put in \Windows) to the egress directory on the cf card.

Some caveats, however: the two bottom-of-the-screen soft keys are not available (at least I can't make them work), so it involves some reg work along with some guesses. Also, set up a My Documents folder on the storage card, and when prompted, install the default channels there (the rss feeds are space-intensive).

But it synchs feeds fine and you can edit the default channels to your favorite feeds and egress is remarkably tweakable.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-21 1:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Cool Jake...do me a favor, try the attached. Just copy it to your Egress folder and run it without Readgear and see what happens. You may need to copy the cellcore.dll to the folder as well.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments egresshpc.exe (489KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-21 1:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hi, Rich,

Ran it without RedGear and used the cellcore.dll from CMonex's Netfront 3.3 directory and I'm getting the "Can't find 'egresshpc'..." error. Also copied over RedGear's _ellcore.dll from \Windows, just to see, but still getting same error.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-21 2:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

maybe rename it to egress.exe? Wasn't sure if it would work or not. It was the .exe from the file link you provided, edited for the Mobilepro 900C after running execcheck on it...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-21 3:03 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

No joy yet. Renamed it but same error.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-21 3:05 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It'd be interesting, Rich, if you could get Egress running on the TinyBook.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-11-21 3:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

tsdave started writing one a few years ago:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3890&start=1

Nowhere near as advanced though.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-21 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I emailed the author of egress to wonder with him about the soft keys--hence, an inability to register. I asked if upon registering, he could send on the actual reg keys--owner, regnum, serialnum--but I haven't heard back yet.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-21 10:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Jake, how did you overcome the (Attempt to connect to server failed) error, or didn't you have one?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 5:44 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Using a J-720, everything installed on storage card /Egress directory, WEP, and a 3-Comm Office Connect pc card, I hooked right up. I remember reading another thread here about Egress and the user was complaining about the same thing. Perhaps RedGear has a network dll that facilitates the correct connection.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 2:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well I tried it using Redgear on the 900 (HPC2000) and it worked to a point. The menus were on top of the screen, and while I could see the channels and the message headers, when I went in to view the actual message all I had was a blank screen. Too bad.

After working with it on the 900C, it actually worked better, that is I could see all the menus properly at the bottom, and I could run it without Redgear, but again I could only see the channels and the message headers...going to view the actual message only gave me a blank screen once more.

I won't be getting it to run on the Tinybook since I don't have one that works any longer....

(egress1.jpg)

(egress2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments egress1.jpg (34KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments egress2.jpg (49KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 3:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Keep us posted on the 900C doings.

Wait, Rich, what happened to your TBs? When we talked about the battery two weeks ago, I was under the impression you had two of them...

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 3:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually I have 3 of them...one password locked and 2 of them bricked...one I bought that way, the other I did it all by myself without any help!

While I still feel the Tinybook is the best built ever little CE6 device...I think I will have to stick with one that can be easily and totally reflashed in case of operater stupidity (for my own protection)...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Maybe GodMedia will give you the famous Rich-Break on a new-used one, and you can use that one without the overt tinkering Although it's hard to resist the registry-delving...

As for your current Egress travails, I don't quite firgure the HPC2000 difficulties on the MobilePros since I don't own one. Do you have a J-720 just to see if you can replicate what I have? On the other hand, I'm not getting no Up or Menu or Refresh on the bottom--whatever I pull off from those areas, I'm pulling off from the registry, not the screen.

I have *not* heard back from the author. Then again, the last Egress update was back in 2008.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 6:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Seems to be working now...on 900C anyways. Not sure what I did except change user agent from Egress to Mozilla. Also had to change web browser name from ieexplore.exe to iesample.exe...weird how they named the browser that on CE.NET

Now I can see channels, header info, and if I click on the link, the browser opens and loads the web page. I made the mistake of having it download all the pages and info to read offline...it took over an hour and a half to do it all on the 900C. And that was just a dozen rss feeds or so...

I'll just keep it simple from now on and read the header info only...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 10