x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Thanksgiving Commentary by Rich

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-24 11:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Once again it rolls around.

As a child I remember turning on the television and watching the parades and imagining that I was part of the festivities...the floats and such. Giving thanks that I didn't have to go to school. Hoping it would be warm enough to run around the yard playing guns and army with my friends. Big meal, cake, ice cream, visiting cousins...I loved Thanksgiving and I was thankful.

Later it simplfied, turning into a day of pigging out, eating as much as I could hold, watching football and drinking beer. Telling lies, bragging, and drinking more beer. Wives sitting around laughing at their husbands, their kids running and playing as I used to. History repeating itself. And if I was lucky, I would get lucky that evening...and normally did. I was thankful.

Now, much later in life, hearing going bad, it is hard to enjoy a good football game, and it is just a game and I observe it from afar rather than being part of the experience. Parades on tv are a channel I skip over as I look for anything besides infomercials to pass the time, usually ending up on the weather channel. Friends are gone or dead, no family to speak of, or none that cares. I live on limited income with little prospect for the future. The economy of the state going down the tubes, and the nation is following. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. The sour taste of discontent has become fixed in my mouth where I used to have teeth...I live from day to day, and Thanksgiving is just another in series of them.

In retrospect, I guess I'm grateful that I don't have to wear adult diapers yet....but that's about it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-11-24 12:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Gee and I thought I was the only cynic. Good thing that we don't have to suffer it
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-24 12:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I know a wedding photographer who lives in a tent--that pretty much sums up his fix on life. Anyway, he's completely unversed in the American ways of football, drinking, and Thanksgiving. One Thanksgiving, he was at somebody's house, watching the chaos of a football game in disbelief. Finally, he exploded, "Oh, just *give* them the ball if they want it that much."

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-11-25 4:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Until the past year or so, my girlfriend used to take her teenage granddaughter every Thanksgiving to Skid Row near downtown Los Angeles, where the two of them would volunteer a few hours in a soup kitchen so her granddaughter would never forget the less fortunate.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 12