x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Addendun to Compaq 2930A (C-Series) (2010C) startup problem

quinbus_flestrin Page Icon Posted 2011-11-26 6:32 PM
#
Avatar image of quinbus_flestrin
Factor Fanatic

Compaq 2930A (C-Series) (2010C) startup problem

I have just encountered this problem with a "new" Compaq C Series. New in that it has had no mileage on it that I can tell.

The special cells used as the internal battery are currently eluding me everywhere but very expensively in the US, but thats a story for another time.

So I hit the same problem that my predecessors have.

The solution given at the time by Lozza in mid-2009, was not my experience, but at least it got me started.

Firstly I got the unlock tool. The next problem was the numbers. The serial number is easy, it's on the side of the box. The name you need is displayed in the Compaq's enter a password screen. So far, so good... but what in blazes is a Magic Number?
It transpired, after a fair bit of digging in some very dusty corners, that we were talking about a number which either the user or the Compaq had generated at the time the passwording was set.

And me without a clairvoyant handy.

Now Lozza said,

"The critical detail here is that after about 10 unsuccessfult attempts using the correct code against the correct serial number, as detailed elsewhere, the magic number expires. The C-series then resets the serial number in the dialog box to 123456. So, now you have to uninstall the unlock utility, re-install it entering '123456' as your serial number and then enter your details as mentioned in the post above. This now generates you a new unlock code from the new magic number that was generated on the C-series using the '123456' serial number. Once you have entered the new unlock key the C-series then tells you that the data will now be 'wiped' and you're away.

So I used every number I could find on the boxes and even the barcodes, until eventually the Compaq evidently got fed up with the game and popped the following into the bottom right hand box in the Password Page...

And I quote:

Please contact your System Administrator or
use the C-Series Unlock utility to gain access
to this system.

Serial #:NNNNNNNNNNNN which was the serial number.
Owner : A N Other
Magic #: NNNNNNNNN

Now putting these into the Compaq H/PC Unlock Key Utility generated a number which I put into the Compaq and a box then popped up saying:

Your Passwords will now be cleared.
Please re-configure security at your earliest opportunity to re-secure this
H/PC.

QF 26-11-2011

Edited by quinbus_flestrin 2011-11-26 7:04 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-26 6:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I once went through the same thing...exactly the same thing. And while I was eventually successful, it dissuaded me from ever again using a password to enter my handheld. Instead, I decided to simply use file encryption for those files I wanted to protect. Anyone who has ever had their handheld stolen knows that a password doesn't deter theft...it just makes it unprofitable for the thief...but the rightful owner still loses out either way.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 9