x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Uses for a 7" CE6 netbook?

1 2 3
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 2:47 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, the oddest of odd things happened to me. So back in July, I bought that netbook from CVS Pharmacy..the Sylvania Windows CE 6 7" thingie and that got me back into Windows CE. So I should thank it for that...at the very least.
Later-- in August, I was able to snag an NEC MobilePro 790 for 20$usd with all sorts of goodies, including USB to serial and USB to IrDA. It was awesome. So then I realised....hey! The MobilePro keyboard is soo much more comfortable than the netbook one..

Flash forward to now, and I find myself using the MobilePro way more than the netbook. I outfitted with a 2gig CF card and Wireless too, so now the netbook just sits all alone by itself.. I'm just puzzled on any uses for it. I did buy SoftMaker Office 2010 for it, but again, I just do not know...

So after all of that, I ask..What can I do with this thing? I'm also puzzled what to do with my HP iPAQ Pocket PC, but that's so taboo and offtopic here that I shan't even bother with that. Haha..
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 5:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's been my personal challenge over the past year or so. I've managed to amass a small collection of CE 6 netbooks, mostly WM8505s like your Sylvania that I managed to snag cheap on eBay. Because Windows Mobile 5 and 6 are based on earlier CE builds, I've been finding lots of freeware apps online to test, finding that many of them can be made to work with the DLLs that are already onboard the WM8505. (So you really don't need the iPAQ. )

Stuff I can do with my CE 6 netbook:

1) Most of my Web browsing. Opera Mini 5.1 is a very good browser, and I've had good experience with others as well, including Iris, iSee, ZetaKey, and - yes - IE CE 6. I can view the desktop versions of most sites without a problem (though Facebook struggles). Embedded video is of course an exception (though my Zenithink ZT-180 tablet handles this quite well in IE CE 6), but in addition to the YouTube app, there are at least three Windows Mobile programs (YouTubePlay, Web Video Downloader, and Smooth YouTube Downloader) designed to download videos to play on-device. Also, pretty much anything else I want to download (images, documents, CAB files, etc) I can download directly onto the CE 6 netbook if I want to.

2) Lots of types of word processing. Like you, I plan to buy SoftMaker Office for CE to make one of my CE 6 netbooks do what my PC still doesn't do: read DOCX and XLSX files. There are also tons of free Notepad-style apps for CE devices, many with extra features.

3) Video and still image viewing and playing of MP3s and other audio files. There are tons of free image viewer apps that work very well, including a couple that even allow you to modify the images. TCPMP (and Geared2003's version, HPC Media Player) still handles video and audio quite well, and there are lots of other free audio players that handle multiple formats. NCH Software even has a CE app called Pocket WavePad that allows you to add effects to audio tracks. (The freeware version, while limited in features, still has some pretty cool ones.)

4) Organizing information. There are many, many programs that help users organize various kinds of information, and even without the ability to synchronize with a PC and without the old standard CE PIM databases, some PIM applications (eg, TecAce cePIMS) will work using their own databases, and there is a small applet developed by folks who have unlocked the embedded CE shell from the Mio GPS that creates the PIM databases, making even more third-party PIM apps usable (though still not synchronizable with a PC).

5) Lots and lots of games. ('Nuff said. )

I rarely take my PC with me when I leave my house in the morning, because 99% of what I want to do can be done comfortably on my CE netbooks. (One day I'll learn how to write my own programs for CE - I can only hope that I can do most of it on the CE device itself. )
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 12:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

With the price of regular x86 laptops so inexpensive these days I often wonder why anyone would want a CE netbook. Well one reason is that they are fun to play with. Trying to make as many CE programs as possible run on these things is by itself a challenge. And to customise it to your particular needs are another.

My HPCs however have several features over any notebook/netbook that I particularly enjoy. A major one is the instant on/instant off, and the true suspend mode. I find both of these features paramount in importance when I and picking up and moving about and have to interupt my tasks.

Mainly I have all of them, pocketpcs, netbooks, hpcs, laptops, desktops...because they are fun to play with.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Have to agree with you, Rich, on the instant on/off and true suspend. I keep trying to move from my HPCs to newer devices, but I keep going back. My latest attempt was a Galaxy S android phone.....it's instant on/off, but I can't find a word processor that consistently displays docs correctly or even opens them. TextMaker 2002 still runs circles around the android office suites I've tried.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 5:58 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I use TinyBook T706 for light surfing. Serious surfing needs a better browser with flash capability for things like YouTube.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 11:54 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Rich Hawley - 2011-12-14 4:22 AM
Mainly I have all of them, pocketpcs, netbooks, hpcs, laptops, desktops...because they are fun to play with.

What about smartphones? Windows Phone 7.5 is fun too
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2011-12-15 2:06 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2011-12-14 8:22 AM

With the price of regular x86 laptops so inexpensive these days I often wonder why anyone would want a CE netbook. Well one reason is that they are fun to play with. Trying to make as many CE programs as possible run on these things is by itself a challenge. And to customise it to your particular needs are another.

My HPCs however have several features over any notebook/netbook that I particularly enjoy. A major one is the instant on/instant off, and the true suspend mode. I find both of these features paramount in importance when I and picking up and moving about and have to interupt my tasks.

Unfortunately my Jordana 720's touchscreen no longer works (I've had it for several years now though so it comes to no surprise to me, sadly) but I would say CE devices are good for folks who prefer the always ready state and better battery life from their device. I do think there are many good Android tablet alternatives to Windows CE devices, but it really does sadden me not to see Microsoft creating Windows CE based tablets right now. I understand the general idea that Microsoft is (eventually) moving toward Windows 8 ARM based tablets and probably netbooks, but I just don't understand why they didn't slap CE on a tablet with a nice touch-interface and see what they could make happen.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-12-15 10:36 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

CE Geek, I'll have to give Opera Mini another try. This could be a good little thing to take places where I need basic browsing, but don't want to lug the 17" laptop.. The keyboard is just way too cramped for me. I do have the 7" netbook, so I dunno about people with the 10", I remember my Asus netbook having a way better sized keyboard anyway..
If I get a digital camera again, it'd be nice to have a bigger screen to preview them on. Remember the squinting game when going through the camera itself? lol

Rich, see that's the thing...the MobilePro runs rings around the netbook for me. The keyboard alone is worth it, plus I can get pretty decent browsing going too.....when I'm lucky to find a wireless network that's not funky with SSL settings or WEP. I did hack my Orinoco Silver to run the Gold firmware, so now I can use 128 character WEP.. Great card, I must say. :P
PDXMark/Rich, Instant on is great too, my netbook takes about 20 seconds to boot up, whilst the MobilePro can just pop on and continue typing...

takwu, I so want a Windows Phone 7! Best interface for mobiles like ever! This is coming from an iOS loving guy too :P If I can find one of the older ones where you could replace the micro SD inside with a 32gb one, I'd grab it over getting a Zune HD.. Of course, a Nokia N9'd be great too!

CAuser, well, maybe I'm being a tad harsh on the netbook. The build quality on the TinyBook looks much better...

macmee, agreed, by the way, did you see that Sony clamshell tablet? Very intriguing indeed..
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-12-19 4:05 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I have the Samsung Focus with internal 8GB and an empty micro SD slot. But I don't load a lot of media on it so my SD slot is still empty

The Zune player is discontinued right? Zune service is still there for WP7 and PC though.

I really like the Nokia Lumia 800 though, it's the WP7 version of the N9 N9 is not coming to US or Canada anyway. My phone just turned 1 yr old, I am wishing by the time it turns 2, my carrier will offer the Nokia. My friend with same carrier just got an iPhone 4S after he bought the 3GS 2 yrs ago.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-12-20 1:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2011-12-14 12:58 AM

5) Lots and lots of games. ('Nuff said. )

How can you run games on it without GAPI? I just purchased a WinCE6 7" noname netbook and tried to install HPC Gapi on it. It installs and runs fine, but when I press the button "Select Device" from the setup tool it doesn't show the popup to select my device (as it usually does with all my other HPCs). So I only can use GAPI in the emulator mode (slow as hell). Is there another gapi software for these devices, or maybe only a personalized GX.dll?

Thanks!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-20 1:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You will need to contact Wincesoft and arrange with the GAPI author to have a customized version of GAPI made...something he rightfully charges for as it takes some knowhow and some programming skills to do it.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-12-20 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm thinking about something easier. I will try to run gapi on any of my HPC and then choose any option that is WinCE6 and 800x480 from those available and then just copy the GX.dll and GX_HPC to my netbook. Maybe it will work...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-12-21 5:12 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

RTFM has already done that for you. Check his post here:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16406
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-12-21 2:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Great! I was the one that asked for a WinCE image and I didn't try RTFM yet. So it comes with GAPI installed. Awesome! Will try that today and report back later
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-12-21 3:33 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I just installed RTFM image and the GAPI problem persists...
Weird is that when I run the installed Milkytracker, it shows the Gapi logo and opens normally. But every other app that needs gapi just complain about missing gx.dll or another gapi related error. I found gx.dll at the milkytracker folder, and pasting it to specific apps folder didn't solve my problem. If I open the gapi config tool, the same thing happens, I can't choose a device at the pull down (actually the pulldown doesn't appear when I click at the "select device" button, I don't know why)
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 12