x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Uses for a 7" CE6 netbook?

1 2 3
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-12-22 9:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex also has a ZIP package of several ARM versions of gx.dll on her site. Those may also be worth a try:

http://hpcmonex.net/izemize.htm
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-12-22 3:19 PM
#
H/PC Elite

These gx.dll's seems to be much older than those available from GAPI. I found out that there isn't a configuration for WinCE6.0 in the GAPI Config Tool. I will try using a WinCE5.0 on my Sig3, copy the files and see if it works. WinCE is great, but I can't stand that without GAPI.

Also, I was looking for Android ROMs for my netbook. I found many Android versions for tablets from different "manufactures", but I don't know if they will work on my netbook (probably not). I want to find a specific version of Android for netbooks. If anybody knows about it, or even better, a dual boot wince-android, that would be great!
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2011-12-22 9:01 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Try taking the gapi gx.dll and the .ini from milkytrackers folder and copy them over the ones in /windows. That should fix it. Small quirk i missed in the ce6 firmware.

As for android on your netbook, my Modroid firmware will work on it. http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20864-rom-universal-modroid-v8-based-on-151-by-wicknix/
Grab v11 and extract contents to a fresh fat32 formatted SD card. Insert into netbook and power on. Wait for it to flash. Done.

Theres also a few beta Linux releases available that boot from SD leaving either wince6 or android untouched. Almost like having true dual boot. I currently have Debian Sid and wince6 on my wm8650 netbook as seen here: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/21211-7-wm8650-netbook-linux-port/page__view__findpost__p__282691 I haven't uploaded my debian.img yet though however. Still working on it.

Cheers
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 1:42 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thank you RTFM, you are really helping with this netbook stuff! I will try your Android image tomorrow morning. Is it possible to configure a dual boot? Maybe we will need to understand better about the uBoot stuff, right? Anyway, another quick question? What software do you use to view youtube videos on WinCE? I tried the standard youtube app that comes with your modded image, but it doesn't loads anything. Coreplayer should work, but I couldn't find the proper version for my netbook (and also its a paid software...)
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 2:05 AM
#
H/PC Elite

PS: when I get the gx.dll and ini files in the milkytracker folder and put it in \windows, everything works, but extreeemmaally slow. Then I figured out that these are the configuration for gapi emulator, which works already... Maybe there isn't really a gapi available for CE6.0 yet
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 11:21 AM
#
H/PC Elite

PPS: is your android image a 1.5.1 Android version? Wat about the 2.2 or 2.3? Does it run on our netbooks? thanks!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I was able to actually use one of these little netbooks yesterday. One of my co-workers has one. I like the size of them! It is the 8505 with CE6, he offered to sell it to me for $50...and right now I just can't justify getting it... How long does the battery last?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 9:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nothing special - about 2-3 hours.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ntware: Yeah the youtube app quit working for some reason. Only other option for CE is coreplayer for youtube. That's what i'm using currently, but quite frankly CE (other than booting) is too slow for gaming, watching high quality videos etc on these devices. Android while taking longer to boot has much better web browsers and browses much faster. CE browsers always seem to choke on heavy pages. I just put CE6 on my netbook because i already have a wm8650 tablet running Android and i wanted to tinker with CE again for a bit. As for my Modroid firmware, it is Android 2.2. The numbers you refer to are Eken's firmware release numbers, not the OS version.

Yoldering: That's not a bad price, but for $30 more you can get a new wm8650 netbook that's 800mhz vs 300mhz with 256mb ram vs 128mb with either CE6 or Android 2.2 vs 1.6 demo version. Also some of the new wm8650 netbooks now have touch screen added. Stock battery life is roughly 2-3 hours depending on use. Some people have replaced the cells with better ones and report 5-6 hours. I buy these things to hack on and waste time, but in reality they really aren't very useful. My EeePC does everything i need, these cheap netbooks don't even come close. That being said, i have more fun with all my cheap netbooks.

Cheers
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-12-24 5:05 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I tested Android on my netbook and I didn't like it. It takes way to long to boot, and that is frustrating (especially when you want just to quickly check some data on a document). Also, talking about document, Android support for MS Office files is terrible. On the other hand, I have Softmaker Office on WinCE. Also, I coulnd't manage to get Android Market working. So I had to install an alternative app store for android (GetJar) to download some apps. Its true that the multimedia support (gaming and video) on Android is far better than on WinCE, but I believe its just a GAPI temporary problem. As soon as we get GAPI working on WinCE, it will be really good. A proof of that is my Sigmarion3. It has a lower hardware, but runs WinCE4.1 perfectly for browsing (with Opera Mini) and video/games. For now I think I will stay with WinCE for a while. It fits better my needs.
RTFM, do you know what version of coreplayer you got working on your netbook? The one I tried seems to have the new WM2005 .cab file compression, so WinCE doesn't even install that. Maybe I should try unpacking it with MSCEInfo? I will try and report latter.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-12-24 12:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Do you guys know where can I get replacement batteries for these cheap netbooks? Mine isn't holding more than 1 hour of charge! And it sucks because I bought it new from China, and the battery was supposed to hold more charge. I think that I may have a problem with my charger too... Will try to make another one during the holidays
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2012-01-05 12:53 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I created a debian sid rootfs if anyone wants to play around with it. It is for wm8650 netbooks only at the moment as I don't have it set up to use touch screen on a tablet. (Although a few quick changes to xorg.conf will enable touch screen quite easily)

Credit goes to all that have worked on the wm8500/8505 devices and those who have taken that info and converted it over to these wm8650 devices. I just took all the info i could find and tossed this together. It uses Eken's 1.5.3 Android kernel and thus boots from SD card leaving your WinCE or Android install untouched. All the basics work such as touchpad, keyboard, battery stats, ethernet, and wifi. I have sound partially working with this kernel (fuzzy sounding though) and i did manage to adjust the sound level from 100% to 50% so your ears don't get blown out by adding a few values to wmt_scriptcmd.

The tar.bz2 has 2 archives inside. 1 labeled fat32 and the other labeled ext2. Just extract (as root user) each to the proper SD card partitions. Any other info/instructions can be found in the readme.txt in the tar.bz2.

Oh... and root's password is debian.

If the included wicd-gtk connection app doesn't work for you, try connecting manually from the command line. That's what i have to do to connect to my phones ad-hoc tethered wifi and it works fine. You might also need to edit /etc/resolve.conf to 192.168.1.1 if you have dns issues.

Default LXDE desktop

Download here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/c1b1cd6/n/wm8650-netbook-debian-sid.tar.bz2 (300mb)
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2012-01-05 2:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

HOW DO YOU USE TCMP TO WATCH YOUTUBE??? Can you watch youtube videos with the Linux distro (possible flash support)??
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-01-06 10:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Someone answer something for me that I'm not sure about...I see a lot of these new Android tablets have the standard 8650 cpu running around 800mHz, and then some of them advertise a 300mHz DSP.

I assume this means digital signal processor? Or am I wrong?

Are these two separate processors, one for processing strictly audio leaving the main cpu to handle the bulk of the work?

Or is it like a dual core processor in some fashion?

And whatever the case...is it something that can be taken advantage by Windows CE or is it strictly an Android OS thing or what?

And how does the performance compare to a machine that doesn't have a DSP?

Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2012-01-10 1:25 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich: This explains it better than i can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal_processor

To anybody else interested... skip the link i posted above. I just uploaded a 2nd release with major improvements over the previous.
Download: http://www.filefactory.com/file/c132100/n/wm8650-netbook-debian-sid-v2.tar.bz2 (388mb)

Cheers
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 13