x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wifi adapters

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-18 3:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-12-18 3:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

So it would seem... but you get what you pay for. I spent £30 this morning getting a proper MIMO Cisco Linksys adapter for someone, I'm pretty sure that it'll work at 802.11n speeds, make use of MIMO and work at ranges greater than 1m away from the AP in a way that doesn't consume 100% of the CPU. Those... I'm not so sure
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-12-19 1:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Interesting, Chris. It had never occurred to me that lesser brands would tax the CPU. I had only figured that they would work poorly, connection-wise.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-12-19 2:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

AES is processor intensive and it'll be software chipset based. More pricy cards will have some capable hardware behind them.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-12-19 11:34 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I bought the shortest one too as one of my 2 Compal JAX10's does not have a proper driver for XP. I did find a download for Aigo P88xx series from Aigo's site but failed to make the built-in WiFi work.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-12-20 12:00 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Same thing with bluetooth adapters. Just a little while ago these were expensive but now you can find them on dealextreme (and other places) for a little over a buck.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-20 1:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well I went ahead and ordered one just for the fun of it...it will be interesting to give it a try and see how cpu/memory intensive it is...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-28 6:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well I got it in the mail today and plugged it in to both my desktop and laptop. It comes with drivers for XP and newer, Mac, and Linux. It seems to work fine. It takes about 12Mb of memory, but there is zero noticeable effect on other applications. I tried streaming some intensive online video while download some files and playing a couple of games all simultaneously...no problems.

I then plugged it into my laptop and went for a walk. I made it about 80-90 yards with the laptops built in 802.11G wifi before I noticed the signal strength dropping out loosing connection. Then I plugged this one in and turned off the built in wifi card. It really didn't do any better. And it was cold outside too, only 27F. I think that maybe it has a poorer antenna and that must account for something, because as I was walking back, at about the 60 yard mark it finally connected.

Now here is the strange thing...once connected, I was able to walk away again and it kept the connect well onto the 100 yard mark...so my question is that once a connect is established, does that affect performance or signal strength or something?

I'd like to try this with an external antenna...maybe I'll buy one and see. Anyways, for only a couple of bucks, I have no complaints whatsoever...too bad it doesn't have drivers for older versions of Windows, or CE.
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-12-28 8:27 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

These Chinese Wifi cards only last (for me) 2-12 months before they lose performance or die...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-28 8:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

May be they are not built well..I don't see how they could for the cost. But they are small enough that they certainly make a good backup. I could put the drivers on a USB drive and store it and the wifi on a keychain for emergency use.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-12-29 11:57 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thecatmilton - 2011-12-28 3:27 PM

These Chinese Wifi cards only last (for me) 2-12 months before they lose performance or die...

I have one, a generic USB wifi adapter back from 2006 that's still going strong. But that was attached rather permanently to my desktop.
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-12-30 5:37 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

solidus... was it pci or usb?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2012-01-08 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Finally, my Nano USB WiFi adapter arrived. It works excellently on my Compal JAX10/Aigo P8860 with Windows XP as I could not find the right driver for the built-in WiFi adapter even from Aigo's website. The adapter is so tiny that the rubber cover for the USB jack is even larger. In contrast, my Linux version of JAX10 does have a built-in driver.

Edited by CAuser 2012-01-08 3:55 PM

(Compal+NanoUSBwifi.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Compal+NanoUSBwifi.jpg (35KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2012-01-08 5:16 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It was USB. @CAuser, nice.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.277 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 13