x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Bluetooth Keyboard

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-21 3:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So I have several small pocketpc size devices. An hx4700 Ipaq which is a true 640x480 landscape device, and an Ipaq 310, which is a CE GPS device with an 800x600 screen. Also have an rx5915 which is 320x240 pixels.

Point is they are all about the same size as the keyboard...

Today I ordered one of those $10 bluetooth keyboards on eBay. They are essentially the same thing as the USR5502 keyboard. You can see it, with downloads here: http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5502

So I'm thinking that if I somehow attach the keyboard to the pda...does that make it a "pseudo" HPC?

The hx4700 has built in wifi, while the Ipaq 310 and rx5915 would require me to use an SD wifi card...which I have used fine with both devices.

What'cha think? Anyone else own one of these keyboards? Expecting mine from China in about 3 weeks.

(keyboard.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments keyboard.jpg (90KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-12-21 5:27 PM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

I have a Logitech one that cost $150. It has a lot of features though. It has an Alienware-like keyboard that can change colors, a touchpad/clickpad, Windows Media Center controls, and support for my PS3. But there aren't a lot of similarities between mine and yours I guess except for the size and Bluetooth. If I get the tablet I want for Christmas, I'm planning on using the keyboard with that too because it already works with my Android phone, so it should work with an Android tablet.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2011-12-21 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

So, Rich, is it touch-typeable, or just for thumbs? 4.5 inches is narrower than the Jornada, but the keys go all the way to the edges, so I'm thinking it's comparable?

And how would you attach the handheld to the keyboard?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-12-22 9:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've had a ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard for some time. It's nice because it is big enough to type comfortably on, but folds into roughly the size of a Pocket PC.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-22 2:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've owned several Ipaq folding keyboard and they were okay, actually worked well...the Thinkoutside is very very nice, but kind of expensive...I imagine this will be a thumb type keyboard from the size...we'll see when it arrives...
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2011-12-22 5:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Think you're right about it being a thumb keyboard....the Jornada keyboard is about 7 inches across, and there is 5 inches from the outside of the "A" key to the outside of the "L". This bluetooth keyboard is 4.53 inches wide, from "A" to ";" plus a little border on each side. The Jornada is just barely touch-typeable for me (and my fingers aren't fat), so it would take someone with pretty small hands to touch-type on this one.
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-12-22 8:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

man that keyboard would be uber cool with one of those old style IBM eraser nubs for mouse control....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 6:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

LOL
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2011-12-24 3:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I got a Bluetooth Keyboard called TK-FBP013BK by ELECOM for $26 (the retail was $98). It's not too small or big, I'm going to use it for my iPad / Sony Tablet / HTC EVO WiMAX. It was a good buy.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-12-24 6:16 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

jorel101 - 2011-12-22 3:49 PM

man that keyboard would be uber cool with one of those old style IBM eraser nubs for mouse control....

You said it! I've seen these little bluetooth keyboards with touch pads like on laptops. Let us know what you end up doing Rich.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-01-04 8:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well the keyboard came in the mail yesterday and I charged it up overnight and gave it a try today. I have ZERO complaints for only costing $10 all the way from China. It came with a mini-CD with drivers on it for Linux, Android, and CE. It also came with a mini-USB type cable, but not the type you would use with your Mobilepro...this is one of those really small flat type connectors that you often see with a cell phone.

Originally I had read that it works only with CE6, or actually WM6 and above. But it does work fine with WM5 as well. I tried it with my hx4700 and it worked fine. Then I tried it with an rx5915...and it worked fine again. In the pictures below I am surfing HPCFactor using the rx5915 and the keyboard. I actually like the rx5915 as it has the built in GPS and bluetooth...and works well with my SD wifi card.

Also I included a picture showing it in size comparison to sitting on a Jornada 690. It is substantially smaller.

The key response and tactile feeling are positive and work great. There is no guessing as to whether you pushed the key or not. And I could actually "fingertip" touch type on the thing, though I will have to tell you that it does work better as a thumb keyboard.

And while all the keys and function work fine, I do have one complaint. And that is the cursor key movement requires you to hold down the Fn key and then press the corresponding cursor key, either the W, A, S, or D for movement. If you go too far and let up on the cursor key, or don't hold it down long enough, you have to use the Fn+ sequence again....in other words, cursor key movement stinks. But the majority of the keys work as they should.

Some of the keys must be specialty keys only for certain programs. I didn't see any method to program them in the driver software that came with the thing. Mainly those keys along the top, like the speaker volume up or the VCR type FF, CHAPTER SKIP type keys.

Lastly, I tried a little contest with myself. I tried typing in PocketWord the famous soliliquy from Julius Ceasar using the normal on-screen keyboard...you know it: Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears. I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. The evil that men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with their bones. So let it be with Caesar...

Anyways, using the touchscreen keyboard it took me a little over 4 minutes to complete it. Using the bluetooth keyboard, even though I am not used to it, took about the same amount of time. So perhaps nothing is gained, and it is just a matter of personal taste. It was nice however to see more of the screen and not have the on-screen footprint taking up the viewing area...

Final conclusions: Great deal for the money, I'd like to see one just a tad larger...maybe 50% bigger, with separate cursor keys and a backspace key where it belongs.

(rx5915.jpg)

(jornadacomparison.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rx5915.jpg (142KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments jornadacomparison.jpg (132KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2012-01-05 12:21 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I like the rx5915 and the bluetooth keyboard. I might post a pic of my bluetooth keyboard in use..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 16