x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Want a video playing device, but which?

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-01-05 11:24 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Ironically with all the handhelds and things I have none are remotely acceptable to play video, the best quality wise is my cell phone, it's like a pocket size HDTV, but the Windows Phone 7 OS and lack of SD reader makes it too complicated to move video files to and from it so as good as it's screen is the system is too complex for this type of use.

The next "least worst" would be the Jornada 720 or MP900, but they have the opposite problem: super easy to get the files onto, but image quality absolutely not even worth looking at.

My best device for this was my iPaq 211 Pocket PC, but it's 624 mhz CPU was a bit slow for high res video and I no longer have it.

So now I have 15 or whatever mobile devices and not a single one worth watching videos on.

I think my best bet would be one of the 1 Ghz Pocket PCs that has an SD card reader, does any such device exist? If not what has an SD reader, a high res screen (640x480 minimum) and a 1 Ghz CPU?

BTW I hope a device that meets these requirements can be had for around $200.

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-01-05 11:28 AM
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2012-01-05 2:15 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hit eBay or Alibaba and see what the Chinese have to offer!!!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-01-05 2:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The real problem is that the videos you are attempting to watch are not optimized for the pocketpc screen size. They are most likely formatted for a SVGA or larger hi-res screen and have a pretty demanding refresh rate...30fps or more even.

This is just outside the ability of these CE handhelds to work with...nicely. However, movies that I've converted, using DVD Catalyst for pocketpc, all play beautifully on any of my pocketpcs, even the slow 206mHz ones.

But it is a pain to have to convert every video file you want to watch.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2012-01-05 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm guessing from what you have said, You want a windows ce device #1, that's more portable than say a ce netbook #2? Search eBay and google for windows ce tablet. or if it doesnt have to be windows ce, a variety of android tablets would be up your alley.
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2012-01-05 6:02 PM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

Lenovo's A1 tablet has a 7 inch, 1024*600 resolution screen with a full SD card reader as well as micro, a 1 GHz CPU and 16GB of storage. It is $200, and make sure you if you get it to get the 22282MU, which is the one with the full SD slot.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-01-06 7:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Off Topic
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-01-17 2:19 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks for the replies, CE tablets seem interesting but I haven't seen many models. I'll probably either get one of those or an iPaq hx4700 which was my favorite pocket pc.

The videos that slowed down slightly on my old 4700 where 640x480 videos from my digital camera, I do know with conversion they would play fine but was trying to avoid that but it's no big deal.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 15