x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Bless me forum for I have sinned...

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 3:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Bless me forum for I have sinned against the lord Balmer and have strayed from the path of enlightenment into the dark embrace of the one whose name shall not be spoken.

I own a Samsung Galaxy W. My eternal soul be damned.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 3:07 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hahaha!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 3:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nice phone...over 7 hours of talk time according to reviews...

I wonder how long the thing would last surfing the web? I mean even if they only last a few hours, that is more than a pocketpc using wifi...can we thank the pocketpc for the cell phone of today?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 3:20 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Maybe we should thank Palm Computing® for the cell phone of today....
If wasn't for them, we probably wouldn't have pocketpc's neither hpc's! Good days were those that I was using a Palm Pilot Professional at school
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 4:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ive been playing with it more or less non-stop since getting it including some video and voice skype calls and the battery is down about 10%. So its not doing bad at all - at the moment. I have configured the power management to be pre-emptive though, which will be helping (and slowing it down a bit).

I looked at the Galaxy S2, but I just found it to be too big. The W is almost exactly the same as the iPhone 4, and while I think my views on the iPhone are well known, they have got the physical size right for pocketing and utility.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 6:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My brother-in-law has the S2, and he loves it, and while it is big, is is nice for looking at...but he has to carry it in one of those belt pouch things....much to big for a pocket.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2012-02-13 10:20 AM

Maybe we should thank Palm Computing® for the cell phone of today....

You can thank Nokia for smartphones in general. The Nokia 9000 released in 1996 was years ahead of anything else on the market. (Pda, fax, email, web browsing +++

But a Galaxy? Nice phone, I'll give you that.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 7:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

When I lived in Eagle River, it was about a 15 mile run to work at the west end of Anchorage to West High School where I worked...and if you broke down, you were in trouble, especially in the dead of winter.

Well, the public school system up there got involved in a public contract with Motorola, and they gave each employee a cell phone...if you can call the old Motorola Micotac phones cell phones.

They gave us the phone and 20 minutes a month to be used for emergencies. They were always worried about earthquakes and whatever. If you went over 20 minutes, they you paid for the extra minutes yourself. I think it was something like .10 cents a minute.

Maybe not the monsters of the old walkie-talkie type phones, these were still big and heavy enough that you didn't carry them in your pocket. But you could dial out and receive phone calls on them just fine...and they even had the state-of-the-art feature of storing frequently called numbers into a user directory. Of course you plugged them in every opportunity you got...otherwise they would be dead in about 24 hours.

(motorolaandtinybook.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments motorolaandtinybook.jpg (16KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 8:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Snazzy Rich
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 8:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't believe any of those old cellphones still work these days as they used different frequency bands...

When I moved from Alaska, even though I didn't have cell phone service any longer, I kept the phone in the car for a long time as the 911 line would work in most areas. I think I put it up in the closet back in '99.

These days I have an old Motorola 260 hooked up to Boost Mobile that I can use when I am on the road...another antique by today's standards.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-02-13 8:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I don't think that you can use analog phones as you say; no network.

Having Skype on this Galaxy is pretty useful. I'll probably use that more than the phone now
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-02-14 8:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Geez, Rich, that phone's tiny compared to my first cell phone back in 1991. That thing was literally the size of a brick.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2012-02-14 9:29 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Oh please, I've been a traitor for ages.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-02-14 10:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nitor, at least you're back...

CE Geek, I've seen those old bricks. I was watching "Walker, Texas Ranger" the other day and he had a phone in his truck...one of those old normal household handset types with a cord connecting to a car battery size box in the center console area...phone must have measured 15 inches cubical.

C:Amie's new phone is very sweet looking...I wonder how sweet the browser is however. To me, that is the single most important thing in any mobile device...the ability to surf the WWW. How about posting a screenshot of the HPCFactor forums viewed from your phone C:Amie?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-02-14 12:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The browser is very good in fact, I even loaded my webmail in it and that is a AJAX nightmare.

If I can work out how to do a screenshot, I'll post
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.394 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 14