x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Pepper Pad?

Niteman1969 Page Icon Posted 2005-07-08 1:37 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

looks good but again who will buy it when a a laptop is cheaper???

full specs at www.pepper.com/products/pepper.html

8.4 inch color display with touch screen, making your online experience more enjoyable

QWERTY keypad, for fast and easy typing

Rugged and splash-resistant design for those occasional mishaps

20-bit stereo CODEC for excellent sound

SD/MMC card for future expansion

802.11b Wi-Fi, for instant-on Internet in any room in the house or on the road
with wep & wpa security.

Bluetooth device support, which lets the Pepper Pad "talk" to your other high tech products, such as a full-size keyboard and/or mouse

Only 2.3 lbs, and small enough 12.1" x 6.6" x 0.8" (309x175x20mm) to fit into a briefcase, backpack or purse

Instant-on capabilities-no more waiting to boot up and the Web is always ready
when you are

Intuitive Pepper software and applications that make sharing and organizing your
digital files a snap

Intel XScale PXA270 (624 Mhz) processor

20 GB disk drive-that's hundreds of photos and videos you can store

Two rechargeable lithium batteries offering hours of use, plus smart power management

Mozilla-based browser, making the Pepper Pad both virus- and hacker-resistant

(specifications_lmiddle.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments specifications_lmiddle.gif (84KB - 6 downloads)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-08 3:59 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Niteman1969 - 2005-07-08 7:37 AM

Only 2.3 lbs, and small enough 12.1" x 6.6" x 0.8" (309x175x20mm) to fit into a briefcase, backpack or purse

what kind of purse would it fit in with this size...
it isn't small/light at all!!!
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-09 8:34 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I don't know what sorcery do some women have, but i've seen them get their hands all the way up their shouldes inside bags/purses that aren't more than 20 cm deep

Seriously speaking, cmonex is right, it's not pocketable, and besides we'll need to know which OS does it runs
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-09 10:47 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'll tell ya ... ladies have *almost* everything possible inside their baggie! ... I used to call my sisters' bag, The Fridge! Not in size, but the number of items they manage to stuff inside!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 3:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It's probably Linux.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 11:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's MontaVista CEE 3.1, runing on the 2.4 Kernel.

I think that Terry Pratchett sums up handbags quite with with 'L-Space'
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 6:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Wow, in case anyone has ever wondered who uses linux kernel 2.4 for new devices nowadays???. it's quite old, considering that 2.6 came out more than a year ago.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 6:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Most H/PC redists...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

matrixcore - 2005-07-10 4:43 PM

Wow, in case anyone has ever wondered who uses linux kernel 2.4 for new devices nowadays???. it's quite old, considering that 2.6 came out more than a year ago.

Well, from what I know, its mainly due to size and stability that 2.4 was chosen. In fact, some HPC distro only released a new build based on 2.4 this year! ... But frankly, as far as HPCs are concerned, you don't need the latest greatest distro. You just need one that is stable, fast and have the apps you need. Think of how Palm managed to survive all these years without much of a multimedia, and still make a bundle!

Of cos in the case of using linux on HPCs, there is the advantage that networking (and so wifi) is a given. So it blends in nicely with the current trend for newer browsers etc. If someone can write a PocketOutlook<->linux PIM bridge/convertor, then it would make the transition so much easier!
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I dunno what distro is the one that has only released 2.4, but as far as i know, in HPC's, they use the 2.4 kernel because 2.6 won't boot without a flashboard. and yes, i know not always the latest and greatest is the best, but 2.6 has some more advantages compared to 2.4, at least in the power management side of the fence. 2.6 suspends/resumes nice, while in 2.4 the most it can do is to scale down the cpufreq and turn the screen off, which isn't a *real* suspend.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 10:30 PM
#
H/PC Elder

matrixcore - 2005-07-10 5:45 PM

I dunno what distro is the one that has only released 2.4, but as far as i know, in HPC's, they use the 2.4 kernel because 2.6 won't boot without a flashboard. and yes, i know not always the latest and greatest is the best, but 2.6 has some more advantages compared to 2.4, at least in the power management side of the fence. 2.6 suspends/resumes nice, while in 2.4 the most it can do is to scale down the cpufreq and turn the screen off, which isn't a *real* suspend.

Matrixcore, you are right on! The 2.4 kern do have this issue with suspending! ... I think that's what some of the ports are struggling with as they are still based on 2.4.

Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 12:52 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Let's hope Jlime devs come with some magical solution now that they're porting their distro to the J7xx series. I'll try to install gentoo embedded with a semi-suspending kernel and report back the battary life... hope it doesn't suck bad
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11