x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I'm becomming hi-tech!

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-03-09 7:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Every time I've ever needed a cellphone, I borrowed one from someone. Last summer I borrowed my father-in-laws Samsung Galaxy S while I piloted a small sailboat up the gulf coast.

Other times I borrowed one from my wife, she uses Boost Mobile on an old Motorola i260.

Yet while on business trips or educational conferences, I borrowed one from the University while on the road.

When I lived in Eagle River, I had one of those old Motorola huge things that I used only for emergencies, or picking up the occasional quart of mik on the way home...I'm not sure what band they operated on.

Well...I've moved up! I just purchased my own. I'm using it with Boost Mobile on the pay-as-you-go plan. It is the latest in high-tech for me. A clamshell type device that opens up when I need to use it. Has all the fanciest buttons. Here is the auction where I bought it...please don't laugh at me....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280838363997?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
 Top of the page
indstr Page Icon Posted 2012-03-09 8:46 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hey Rich, nothing wrong with that.

I'm 31 and I don't own a cell phone, never have, and don't plan on it. I guess I'm one of the few.

I wouldn't mind having one for outgoing calls only in the case of emergencies, but so far I haven't been able to find any carrier that gives you prepaid minutes that never expire. So it's not really worth it to me.

Edited by indstr 2012-03-09 8:47 PM
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2012-03-09 11:16 PM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

Dat screen...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-03-10 12:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I wish mine didn't expire...but with BoostMobile, you spend $10 which is good for 50 minutes of talk time and keeps your account active for 3 months. Towards the end of the three months I spend another $10, and it adds another 50 minutes as the old ones roll over. Anyways, at the end of a year I've spent $40 total and have 200 minutes if I never used any of them.

Of course when I travel, I spend a few here and there...and like you said Indstr, the idea is the ability to make outgoing calls for emergencies or for convienence.

It is about as cheap as you can go really and works out to less than $4 a month...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-03-10 10:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Interesting, most PAYG services here have perpetual credit. They gave up on inbound call charges and expiring credit on basic packages years ago
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 13