x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Nothing about something...Dectop

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-03-12 2:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Back when I was playing with my AMD 50X15, I searched and searched and could never find a DECTOP to play with. The company based out of New Orleans went belly up within a year of acquiring all the AMD PICs they could get ahold of.

Well today I was just casually surfing and found this eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300677555933

Now I have zero need for a DECTOP now...but still like the seller says, where else can you get a full desktop machine that is brand new and includes mouse and keyboard for $50 delivered to your door?

I'd really be interested in seeing what BIOS flash is on the thing compared to the one I installed on my 50X15

http://ftp.pwp.att.net/b/l/bluebeecordee/

Of course if you still want a new CE5 PIC, they are still on eBay as well for the same price...
 Top of the page
meolo2002 Page Icon Posted 2012-03-12 3:09 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Very interesting... seems the forerunner of raspberry pi
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2012-03-29 12:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I don't know, am I the only one who thinks wiping CE and just replacing it with XP or Linux kind of takes all the fun out of owning a device like this? It's made worse by the back that there are CE versions of Abyss Web Server already!

As well, I'm not sure what he means by "despite having quite a decent software library for it." Is this the same x86 CE I know and love?

Edited by TFGBD 2012-03-29 12:40 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-03-29 2:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Decent in this case meant that it had all the basic necessities....web browser, Softmaker suite, several dozens of games, etc. Enough to get you by with, and certainly enough to make it a "decent" machine.

I'm kind of like you however that replacing the OS does take the fun out of it...but once you do the bios flash thing, there is no going back to it. It is lost forever.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2012-04-05 11:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Is there seriously no way to return it to factory defaults? If so, that must mean the original AMD model is getting more and more rare as people destroy them by flashing it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10