x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Soundlogic Android Netbook

Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2012-04-16 10:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?product=netbook-with-swivel-and-touch&PIN=135525&GUID=C40B7115-920A-4BF6-B6F6-1F005AA50335&BC=50005005&DL=SCH7

Just found this new Android netbook...kinda cool looking, but my question remains - will it suddenly one day get stuck on the start screen and become a brick, with no recovery possible?

Chuck
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2012-04-17 12:18 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Yeah, I've seen the equivalent on ebay. Great idea (I just got a Lenovo S10-3t, same netvertible idea), but wow, what a lot of wasted screen space. Wonder if it'll go the same Asus EEE 700 > 900 route--same-sized computer, but 7" to 8.9". Less of that ridiculously thick screen border..

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-04-17 9:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Off Topic

I'd like to hear more about the S10-3t, Jake - I've been looking at those recently.

I'd still like to see a touch-enabled CE build on that SoundLogic netbook one day.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2012-04-17 1:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

CE Geek, I really enjoy using the S10-3t. Here’s a Linux install tutorial that I wrote up for Puppy Linux, but I know you’re not a big linux fan:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=614443

Ultimately, I think Windows Home Premium makes for a better OS on the Lenovo than Linux, and I tried all the flavors. There are two versions of CPU: 1.66 and 1.86. The 1.86 comes w/ stock Home Premium (the 1.66 comes with Home Basic).

Obviously, you want to shoot for the faster model, especially since Home Basic doesn’t support the screen’s multitouch.

The drivers work well: automatic screen rotation when in tablet mode, wifi (whose driver can vex in some Linuxes), etc, but I dumped a lot of their apps, since they are too cute and too cpu-intensive.

For touchscreens, Opera 11.64 is better, IMHO, than Firefox, and either of those two is better than IE 9. A current Thunderbird is my email program and an add-on will sync with Google contacts, should you already be synching w/ Outlook and Google on another machine. Desktop iCalendar is an excellent $10 app that will sync a desktop calendar to Google. So if you don’t have a license for Outlook, you could have a functioning PM nonetheless.

I do not sync an HPC with the S10-3t, but the internal bluetooth (which I don’t believe is standard with the 1.66 model) does its thing with my WinMo phone—in fact, does it better than Linux bluetooth.

I was lucky and the seller pulled the hdd and installed a 120GB SSD---if you can swing that, it’s the way to go. Lower temperatures, better battery life, the usual.

The fan is unadjustable and jet-loud, so keeping the machine cool is a must.

Good keyboard, though lightly touched keys can sometimes make doubled key strokes. The capacitive screen is great and works well when touched, but it has an intense reflection, so at certain angles, you’ll see your shadow. That bothered people in some reviews; it doesn’t me.

I see them all the time on ebay: under $330 is a fair price. Oh, the 1.86 comes with the smaller battery for some reason. Much nicer form factor, but diminished endurance, of course. I went ahead and bought the enormous 8-cell battery, which gives oodles of ac-free life but sticks out the back much like the J-720 extended battery and with the same jarring presence (for instance, you’ll have to buy a bigger case).

For help, this is the definitive site. This guy was amazing:

http://www.jessebandersen.com/2012/03/lenovo-ideapad-s10-3t-all-posts.html

Let me know if you have any questions,
Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-04-17 2:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3t sounds like a competitive enough laptop/tablet...but after reading Jakes post and all the reviews...I'm glad I never bought one.

I don't want a tablet that is an inch thick.
I don't want a battery that makes a tablet over 4 pounds.
I don't like glossy screens

I want thin, light, powerful...and great battery life....hmm, guess I'm just outta luck...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2012-04-17 9:58 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, you have to see the S10-3t as a netvertible and not a tablet. I'm so underwhelmed by my wife's IPad that I can live with bulky, glossy drawbacks of the Lenovo. Power management is excellent, the best I've seen on a Windows device. Found little freeware apps on the web for temperature and uptime. Doing the Mobireader > FBReader for RSS article entirety which will serve me well on a 17-hour flight tomorrow. Nook software perfect for ebooks, but, as you say, it's a tablet with some heft.

Jake
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2012-04-18 4:58 AM
#
H/PC Elite

The sound logic device is just a more expensive wm8650 netbook/tablet. Not worth the $150 price tag considering the other wm8650 devices are generally less than $90. All you gain is the swivel screen really. Any of the android, linux or ce6 firmwares would more than likely also work on it more or less i'd think.

Cheers
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.152 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10