x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Looking for Jornada 720 support

XTVEngr Page Icon Posted 2012-04-27 12:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I paid $5 at an amateur radio flea-market for a like-new HP Jornada 720 with the manual but no accessories. It seemed to have an IRDA problem, but resoldering the 6.2 ohm resistor under the LED array seems to have cleared that up. Now that I can transfer files, I'm looking for a driver that might get it to recognize my Netgear WG511u Wifi PC-Card. Any thoughts? I've also added a 4 GB Compact Flash card to allow more working space in the 720.

One other question:
The default Internet Explorer 5 seems to have difficulty accessing Gmail. Is there another browser available, or an update to this one?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-04-27 6:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Handheld PC 2000

The WG511u is a CardBus card using 802.11g protocol, so it'll never work. 802.11g support didn't come until Windows CE 4, while H/PC 2000 is based on CE 3. And no version of CE supports CardBus hardware. You'll have to settle for a 802.11b 16-bit PCMCIA WiFi card. See our Hardware Compatibility List for some cards that will work:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/hpchcl.asp

The default browser on the 720, Pocket Internet Explorer 4.01, is pre-installed in ROM and cannot be upgraded. Your best bet at an improvement would be to install RedGear and Opera Mobile 8.65. (The latter won't work on the 720 without the former.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-04-27 10:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Got to be one of the all time great buys...$5 for a J720!

XTVEngr, you going to use it for a log or CW or APRS or satellite tracking or packet radio? I always used my Mobilepro just for station logging during field events...was quick and easy and ran all day on minimal power...as long as it wasn't too bright outside.

Top of the page
meolo2002 Page Icon Posted 2012-04-27 4:41 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

5 dollars for a Jornada!!lucky man!!
for browsing i using with success netfront3.3 (i'm writing from the jornata, at the momenti'm on a train XD)you can download it from cmonex site

but try opera first...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-04-27 6:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Also if you looking into using it for ham software, consider PocketDOS and older DOS software for amatuer radio...
 Top of the page
XTVEngr Page Icon Posted 2012-04-27 8:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

My original thought was to use this with my Kantronics KAM for packet radio, but for now it's a hobby in itself to get the Jornada 720 functioning as best I can.
I'll look into the 16-bit wifi card idea, and once I have that going, I'll see about the browser situation.
Getting the irda going was a breakthrough, since now it has at least some (slow) communication ability. If I can even turn it into a portable email (web mail) device, that'll have paid for the time I've invested in it.

I also found a 24 port 10/100 Ethernet switch for $20. amateur radio flea markets can be rewarding experiences.

I hadn't heard of "cmonex" but I'll Google it and find out what they've got. Thanks ce geek, meolo2002 and all. This Jornada 720 seems to show some promise. My only other small computing device is a Palm M515, so for now, they're sharing the Palm's stylus.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-04-27 9:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

We're talking about a longtime member of our site who hasn't been around lately. Here's her Web site:

http://hpcmonex.net/
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2012-08-16 7:03 AM
#
H/PC Elite

What she not here when I decide to show up, great!

5 buck for a Jornada720, yep the world is ending.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2012-08-16 7:03 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I do miss you guys on here.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2012-08-16 7:05 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-08-17 5:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Ceya - 2012-08-15 11:03 PM
5 buck for a Jornada720, yep the world is ending.

LOL
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10