x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Won another Casio E-15

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-05-12 8:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The Casio E-15 is the first device I bought almost exactly a year ago when I started buying old PSPCs/HPCs. I saw another one on eBay listed in new condition in the original box with all accessories and won it for $16!

I got another one because it's by far the best grayscale PSPC and if mine breaks it's not like Casio would still fix these (would they?) and even if they did it costs less to buy a new one. It's great to play gameboy games and even NES games play but very slowly if I enable sound.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-05-12 11:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nice deal...I sure paid a whole lot more for my first E-15!
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-05-13 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Do you still use your E-15 and/or any other Palm Size PC? I use my PSPCs every day, I have some around the house, I use one as an organizer, one as a digital notepad, one as a digital recipe book, one as a gaming device, etc.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-05-13 6:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Aero 1530 with CE 3.0 is my favorite monochrome device. It's about the same thing as your E-15. I will never get rid of it...though it sits in its cradle these days doing much of nothing.

It saved my life back in my college days when I was going for my MS in Education.

I was taking an advanced statistics course, and for the final we were allowed to use a calculator. But no computers. Well I had this Aero 1500 with a totally black case...a custom cover that had only the words "Texas Instruments - Scientific Calculator" on it. The case was for a prototype that was never built. Anyways, it was a standard Aero 1500 internally. The 4 program buttons were mapped to run a standard calculator, a financial calculator, a scientific calculator, and a programmers calculator. When you pushed each one, a version of CoolCalc would show up.

Thee was nothing to ever reveal it was a pocket pc. But I remapped the volume button to pull up Pocket Excel and to kill it also.

Well the class before the final exam, the professor told us exactly what would be on the exam, and we went over a few statistical problems that required numerous calculations to determine the probability and variance distributions for population sampling.

Well to make the story shorter, you could set up a spreadsheet really easily, where all you had to do was pop in the numbers and calculate the answers all in one step. Doing this with only a calculator took somewhere in the order of 15-20 minutes for each problem. Using the spreadsheet method, I could chop it down to about 5 minutes for each problem. There would be 6 statistical problems on the exam.

Also, entering all my notes as a PocketWord file and then searching that file gave me the other answers I could ever need for the multiple guess problems.

Anyways, come the day of the final, there were about 200 of us sitting in the auditorium, each taking the final exam for our respective courses. We were allowed 4 hours to complete the exam, I finished in about 3 hours as the essay questions took quite a while. You were not expected to finish the test in the time allocated...I cheated...I did.

I HATED STATISTICS! I HATED THAT CLASS! I HATED THAT PROFESSOR!

The professor told us that statistically, only 35% of us would pass the exam, and with the accumulated daily grades, only 60% of use would pass the course.

I cheated and I passed with an "A"...and gave a whole new meaning to the definition of residual deviation.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-05-19 5:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

lol cool story, but what do you mean by the volume button? Do you mean the scroll wheel? I have a dead Aero 1500 and there's no volume button, I didn't think any Windows CE devices had a volume button until the Windows Phone 7 version (at least that was my first one with a volume button). Didn't teachers walk by every student to check what they were doing? If so didn't they find it strange that your calculator had only 4 buttons and a huge screen?

I have a similar story with a history exam, I kept failing it and then bought one of those Casio watches that connects by IR and you can send text files or contacts. It also happens that I was taking my notes in history class on my Jornada 720 so they were already in text files, before the exam I transferred them to the watch so I could read them on my watch during the exam. During the test, the woman that walks around to check walked up behind me as I was reading on my watch, I turned my watch away as I noticed her so she looked around my desk to see if I was cheating and didn't see anything and continued to walk lol. I finally did pass my history test thanks to that watch.

By the way, why do you prefer the Aero 1500 over the Casio E-15? The Aero is just slightly thinner and doesn't have gamepad style buttons for games. Or is it because it was available with CE 3.0? The only Aero 1500 I have never worked, the screen display corrupt images.

Thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-05-19 7:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I have no preference at all...both are good handhelds. I also own a Casio PC-Unite. I also kept data on my watch for "studying...."
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-05-20 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2012-05-19 7:37 PM

I have no preference at all...

You had started your post with something like "The Aero 1500 is my all time favorite monochrome device"

Anyway, I got bad news, apparently the seller of the E-15 might have left his children play with it or something after I won it as they told me a family member accidentally broke it. I'm really dissapointed as it was new in box and I probably won't get another chance at getting a new one, or even a used one, this is about the 2nd one listed on eBay since the one I bought over a year ago.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-05-20 9:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The 1500 is my all time favorite only because I have CE3.0 on it and I have some custom unique cases for it...sorry to hear about your non E-15.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-05-28 7:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Well I won a Casio E-125 for $1.25, I kind of would have preferred the E-15 due to it using AAA batteries (they will eventually stop making proprietary batteries for these old devices like the E-125) but the E-125 will be fun to have, it will be my first CE 3.0 device since I started buying these old devices (I always preferred the look of CE 2.11 on PSPCs), but I did use to have the Casio E-115 back in the day, I think the only difference is the faster CPU on the E-125 (edit: E-125 seems to add USB sync also). The E-125 should be able to emulate NES games slightly better as it's 150 mhz instead of 131. I haven't seen CE 3.0 for PSPCs in more than a decade but I remember it, having Office built in will be a good advantage.

Edited by aab 2012-05-28 7:59 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-05-29 12:13 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

E125....one of my all time favorites! I loved the 3 inch screen when I got my first one. I think the batteries will be around for a long time.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2012-05-29 7:28 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I used to own an Cassiopeia E-125 too. Unlike my Japanese Cassiopeia E-700WE, it had MS Reader. I had fun time making e-books for it.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-06-01 12:02 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Great, now the seller of the E-125 told me he lost the backup battery door since taking the photos. I did notice in the photo the battery door lock switch was in the position to unlock the backup door.

I'll see if he can find it and if he can't I'll see what I'll do, I could take the door from my E-100 but would then render it useless not to mention the different color.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 26