x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

OK, now I really need a proper backup solution for PSPCs

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-05-29 11:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My parents are here for the week and they had the brilliant idea of turning off the AC and opening every window during a massive rain/thunderstorm.

It got so humid it killed my Nino 500 and I had no choice but to hard reset it. Since it's such a PITA to start the Windows XP emulator, serial port emulator, and then connecting to ActiveSync to back it up I barely do it once a month, and sure enough my last backup is a month old so I lost a lot of data.

I know I've been recommended programs here to back it up but they're impossible to find, does anyone have not only the name of a backup program I can use on my Nino, but also actually have the program or know where to get it?

If not I'll have to abandon the Nino and use a device that comes with built in backup software.

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-05-29 11:09 PM
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-07-29 3:30 AM
#
H/PC Elite

No one knows of any? I'll take "names only" again if that's all you can provide, but I'm on the verge of replacing my Nino 500 with a PPC that has built in backup software and I think the Jornada 420/430 could make a good replacement though apparently they, or at least the 420, seemed to have major touch screen issues with many buyers returning it back then for this problem.

If I can't find a backup software for the Nino I'll probably replace it with one that has built in backup software.

Come to think of it, I could use my Compaq Aero which has a backup program built in and for which I have the cradle (I want a cradle for my "organizer device" so it can sit on my desk in a ready to read position and kept charged). I now use the Compaq Aero as my bed side table device for when I have an idea I want to jot it down quickly at night, I could use another device for this purpose.

Edited by aab 2012-07-29 3:36 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-07-29 1:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

bSquare backup for MIPS doesn't run on it?
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-07-29 9:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I didn't know they had one for MIPS, and that's probably my favorite backup software.

I can't seem to find it after a quick search though, do you have any idea where I could find it? Was it freeware? If not is there even a chance of getting a working copy?

That would be my favorite solution than finding another device, I also realized the Compaq Aero wouldn't do the job as its speaker gets blocked when in the dock so I might not hear alarms.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-07-29 10:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Seems I used to have a 30 day trial version for pocketpcs on my Microsoft Fun Pack for Pocketpcs...I'll see if I still have the CD...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-07-29 10:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay, you can download the entire bSquare Utilities Pack using the Wayback Machine here:

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20020515000000*/http://www.hyubwoo.com/download_data/bsquare/mobile/companion/buseful.exe

Lots of good utilities for MIPS, SH3, SH4, and StrongArm machines in the installer. It is one of those that installs the CAB files in the hidden area of your desktop...for me it is in the C:\Documents and Settings\Rich\Local Settings\Temp folder. When it doesn't install, before acknowledging the error, go to the folder and drag the "cabfiles" folder to your desktop and then you can easily use whatever CAB file you need...

Or if you don't want to mess with that, I've attached the PPC MIPS cabfile to this message that you can use...

Attachments
----------------
Attachments backup_ppc.MIPS.CAB (381KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-07-29 11:49 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Wow, it actually works on the Nino, but it's a 30 day trial as you said.

Is it still for sale today? If not are there any serials available to register it?

Thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-07-30 12:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You would have to contact the people at bSquare to see if they will sell you a license. As far as serials...we don't support or even discuss things like that here at HPCFactor. You might do a web search for info on it...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-07-31 8:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I think aab was referring to the possibility of bSquare having released its software as freeware by providing a universal registration code.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-07-31 10:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Don't we all wish they would have....heavens knows I sent them a ton of emails and most all of them were unanswered...
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-08-01 5:37 AM
#
H/PC Elite

They replied:

"I am sorry that is no longer available.

Is there anything else we can work with you on?

Regards,"

Edited by aab 2012-08-01 5:37 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-08-01 9:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Given that response, maybe there's a shot at getting them to release a registration key if someone advises them that (s)he obtained it online but without a registration key.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-08-01 10:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The trial versions cannot be registered. We would need someone who has the full version.

I got the same response as AAB the first time...this time I got an "I don't know, but I will ask..." response. We'll see. I'm not hopeful.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9