x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Casio E-125 screen's backlight turns off

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-06-07 11:34 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I got my Casio E-125 which looks new and unused, but the backlight keeps turning itself off and I can't figure out how to turn it back on, it seems to take a few resets or something and it eventually comes back on. However now I can't seem to get it back on at all other than for a few seconds after a hard reset.

Does this model use a special key combination to turn the screen on/off separetely from the computer? I know HPs you could hold the power button for the screen to turn on and off seperate from the computer but holding power doesn't work on this one.

Could it have anything to do with the missing backup battery door and/or dead backup battery?

Knocking it seems to have no impact and it doesn't turn off in response to an impact so it doesn't seem like a loose connection.

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-06-07 11:36 PM
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-06-09 1:29 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Turns out it is a bad connection as pressing the back of the E-125 turns the backlight back on, I've taken it apart and identified the power cable to the screen which seems damaged itself because even reseating it doesn't solve the issue, maybe I can glue it in a position where it always works.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-06-09 11:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That's why I love Silicone adhesive....it is strong and holds things in place well...
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-06-09 3:28 PM
#
H/PC Elite

What kind of silicone adhesive? Thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-06-09 6:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Oh I don't know, I normally use that clear bathtub caulk type silicon adhesive...works well for me.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-06-13 12:29 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Anyone know if there's any such thing as a super fine needle tip soldering iron? I think it's a bad solder joint on the display's power output from the motherboard, but a typical soldering iron would solder all 6 pin together.

Otherwise, is there a temperature I could bake the motherboard at in the oven that would melt all solder joints but not the plastic components? Maybe that would work lol.

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-06-13 12:30 AM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2012-06-13 1:31 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Depends on how much future work you want to do (i.e., to get tools to fix a $20 widget). Google "surface mount technology soldering desoldering".

See for a general idea of the issues (and a cheap workaround): http://www.eetimes.com/design/analog-design/4170044/Hand-soldering-of-surface-mount-ICs

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8