x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What Palm Size PC to use as an organizer?

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-07-29 9:49 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I currently use my Philips Nino 500 (color model) as my organizer (for to do lists and reminders). Since I sometimes put very important reminders it's critical that the device I use for this be very reliable and easy to backup, neither of which the Nino 500 is (at least not mine in 2012). Now I'm trying to figure out which PSPC (I prefer CE 2.11 than 3.0 on these) with built in backup software I could replace it with.

One model that I think would be good is the Jornada 420 because it has built in backup software and a loud speaker for reminders. I know the 420 has touch screen problems, anyone know if it's really that bad? I remember many people returning it over the problem back then. The Casio E-100 could also do, in fact I just won an E-105 to replace my E-100 which is jam packed with data.

Would any other models qualify? They need:
-Built in backup software
-Front or side facing speaker that isn't blocked when docked
-Windows CE 2.11
-I'd rather it be color since it will be on AC most of the time and for better readability

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-07-29 9:59 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-07-29 12:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't often use "to-do" lists, but I do keep names, phone numbers and addresses electronically...I keep them all stored on my wristwatch, a Casio PC-Unite. To me it was the best watch ever as I beam the info from my desktop via IR connection which makes data entry very easy...
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-07-29 10:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I had actually bought that watch years ago to cheat on a history exam that I kept failing over and over (until I got the watch).

But that's far from the device type I'm looking for, I want specifically a Palm Size PC for easy data entry and backup, I use my Nino so I don't have to enter the data on my desktop, with the watch I'd have to do that plus transfer it, which may not even work in Windows 7 anymore, and I wouldn't be able to check off the tasks I complete.

I'll try to find bSquare backup, otherwise I think I'll use the E-100 as my organizer.

Thanks
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-08-04 5:23 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I got my Casio E-105 today (my E-100 just doesn't have enough RAM), I'm starting to think I should start using my E-100 as my organizer instead of the Philips Nino, does it sound like a good choice? I'd for once be able to make backups in 2 or 3 clicks on the device itself rather than a long complicated process through the Windows XP emulator and serial port emulator.

I can use it until I find a Jornada 420 if I decide to get one of those which seems like it could be good as an organizer.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-08-04 6:25 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well I just synced all my appointments and tasks to Outlook in the XP emulator and then re-synced all the data back to my E-100. I don't have a working cradle for it, but I have an E-125 cradle which works to charge it (this cradle is USB which the E-100 isn't) which is really I all need the cradle to do, especially being able to backup to CF I will almost never sync this device and will sync by IR when I need to.

I think the E-100 was a good choice for this, it seemed a bit overkill as it's a multimedia PSPC, but the louder sound than the Nino will be useful as well as the 4 way d pad which is very useful in Calendar to scroll through dates and time. I remember I found Calendar awkward to use on the Nino due to the lack of left/right controls to change dates, forcing you to use the pop up calendar on the screen.

If I bought a more modern device such as the Dell Axim x51v, would I be able to sync by USB to Outlook in Windows 7? I'm quite sure I used my last Pocket PC with Windows 7 before getting my Windows Phone 7.

The next question now is, what will I now do with my Philips Nino 500? It's the only color PSPC ever made to use AA batteries. I have a feeling I might just let it die as I really don't see what I'd do with it now.

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-08-04 7:18 AM
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-08-07 12:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My E-100's cradle serial/charge port is quite finicky and it has to be placed just right in the cradle for it to charge, I remember the Casio E series having this issue especially as the connector wears out which was why I originally used the Nino for this, it has an indestructible serial connector. I hope the E-100's port lasts and I'll be careful to make sure its charging each time I put it back in the cradle.

In the worsts case I think I might try to get a Jornada 420/430 but the touch screen issues seem to be pretty major. Hopefully the E-100 doesn't get worst, it's cool using my original PSPC again daily, plus you can definitely tell it has nearly twice the CPU speed (131 vs 70 mhz), everything is instant while on the Nino screens would appear more slowly.

Edited by aab 2012-08-07 12:43 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9