x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any use for a Palm Modem?

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-08-19 11:40 PM
#
H/PC Elite

There's a Palm modem on eBay I could get for $16 total but I have a hard time thinking what I could use it for. I know I could use it for email and web browsing, but I wouldn't want to do either of those on a Palm.

Guess I should let it pass?

Edited by aab 2012-08-19 11:40 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-08-20 12:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yep....don't waste your money on things you don't need. This is from the guy who spends his entire savings doing just that...

On the other hand, check out eBay...see how many pdas you could buy for $16 instead....
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-08-20 12:08 AM
#
H/PC Elite

lol yea there are more useful things to buy. I'm waiting for a reply about that Palm Pilot Pro with the upgrade card (about if he'll ship to Canada and how much RAM) but it's ending in 16 hours.

Edited by aab 2012-08-20 12:09 AM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2012-08-20 10:57 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You could always set up the modem to retrieve your emails when you're out on the go and not around your computer. But then again, most people with cell phones can already do that. But yeah, I'd rather buy sixteen dollars worth of stuff from Rich.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-08-21 1:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't have anything left to sell I don't believe. I do have one box of stuff in the closet that I haven't gotten to yet...but I think it is full of laptop parts, like dual-core cpus and laptop batteries...oh wait, there might be a Tinybook T706 in there...guess I should go dig it out and take a look...

I was looking at the old Palm devices the other day on eBay and got to thinking, that there are so many Android phones out there...even though I don't have cellular service, I wonder if I could use them as a pda...maybe find one with built in wifi...
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2012-08-21 10:55 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You know what Rich? That may be a darned good idea. You may even be able to get them extra cheap if the phone part is defunct. You could always run Skype through Wifi to make calls if you wanted too. Archos also has a 4.3 inch Android "internet tablet" (looks more like a PDA) on Amazon and there's an $88 dollar Android PDA that runs Android 1.5 (bleh) and has a 600mhz processor. Not that great, but at that price maybe a neat toy to have.

I got a neat little Android phone today from a friend who was going to toss it as he's lost the charger. A Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini with slide out keyboard. It works great he says, but the screen is on the small side. However, I though it be a great pocket email device seeing it'd be used without a sim card.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-08-22 10:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've been looking at them lately...here are a couple for around $35 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Intercept-SPH-M910-Sprint-Android-Smartphone-BAD-ESN-Great-for-Parts-/110936229374?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item19d45085fe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-SPH-M820-Prevail-Obsidian-black-Boost-Mobile-Smartphone-/271040804769?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item3f1b4a77a1

I like the second best. But then the first has the keyboard. Both are wifi capable, both have 3mp cameras in them. I mean for crying out loud...someone tell me why I would buy a Palm or Pocketpc pda these days over an Android smartphone that can be used in the same manner?

And I didn't mean to hijack your thread AAB....
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-08-22 10:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2012-08-22 10:27 PM

I mean for crying out loud...someone tell me why I would buy a Palm or Pocketpc pda these days over an Android smartphone that can be used in the same manner?

The reason I got into buying these old devices is specifically because my new Windows Phone 7.5 is much too different from Pocket PCs so I needed to go back to older technology to get the features back, such as:
-Stylus for high speed data entry
-Handwriting recognition for painless text entry
-Card readers and networking for painless data transfer
-Convenient hardware shortcut buttons for often used apps
-And more

There's no way I'd use my Windows Phone to set appointments, it's just too "different" and not as user friendly as the older devices, and even to this day 1.5 years after having my phone, I have no idea how or if I can even transfer files to and from it other than mp3s and movies.

That's why my Windows Phone 7.5 is used mostly as a phone, camera or web browser (I have to admit internet is a zillion times better on it than any other Windows CE device).

Now I know not all of this applies to Android but I think most of it does.

By the way did you see my new Palm Pilot speed mystery in my other thread? It's really baffling.

Edited by aab 2012-08-22 10:51 PM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2012-08-22 10:58 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

aab - 2012-08-22 5:50 PM

That's why my Windows Phone 7.5 is used mostly as a phone, camera or web browser (I have to admit internet is a zillion times better on it than any other Windows CE device).

You and I are in agreement. That's why I loathe the modern tablets we have today (with a few minor exceptions, notably the Samsung series with the S Pen and HTC Flyer with it's pen). Same for phones. That's why I was stuck on my Nokia Communicators for such a long time. Keyboard input with a wide high res color screen mixed with a phone. Lovely. I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Note which has a stylus aka "S Pen". It's brought me back to my good old WinCE/Garnett days.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10