x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SAS hard drive

1 2
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-09-09 12:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hundreds of program! Yow! I think I only have a single program running at a time normally. Of course I am not talking about all the normal Windows processes running in the background like svchost.exe, alg.exe, raregistry.exe, wlcomm.exe, etc...

And I was talking only about internet speed...actually I was talking first about possible theoretical speed gains by running a faster hard drive. The discussion about my internet speed was a separate topic...stymied as to why they limit uplaod speeds.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-09-09 12:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you are on DSL the system works using an additive technique called Frequency-division multiplexing. The sum of all avaialble bandwidth is the product of the sum of all narrow-bands in the field. To keep it simple - and this is more or less how it works. DSL is effectively a series of old dial-up modems (narrow band) bundled together to form a broad band of signals. Each 56Kbps modem takes up say 48 kHz so in 96 kHz you would have two bands in the FDM group (112kbps), 144 kHz three bands (168kbps) and so on.

It actually works using 64kbps bands, but we'll ignore that.

The ISP decides how many of those bands are used for upload and how many are used for download so you probably wound up with 8 upload FDM channels in the uplink group and 500 in the download group - this is by the way a description of ADSL not VDSL or ADSL2+.

Your ISP are basically telling you that they do not want you using a residential DSL line for serving. They've given you what they think to be a suitable return channel FDM spread - I'd say it was too low at 30Mb down the ack rate could probably saturate a fair bit of that, let alone deal with your requests. As said, here in merry old England many ISP's will allow you to alter that ratio.

The other alternative is that the modem, cabling to the cabinet or the DSLAM are damaged in the frequency bands being used for uploading. So in reality you could have 16 bands but are receiving noise on 8 of them.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-09-09 1:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay, that is DSL..I have cable..what's the difference? Is that adjustable like DSL?

And they definitely do not want you to run a server. As part of Charter's Customer Fair Use Agreement, they simply state: no servers on home network connections or you lose your service...

Which I think is stupid as most people only would have a few files they might share with family members or something. I can see why they wouldn't want you to run a business off a home network connection, but they ought to allow for small "friendly" servers for personal use...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-09-09 6:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Cable does use FDM, but I can't really comment on the specifics of it as I have little experience with it.

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. You could try asking them to adjust the ratio, just tell them that you're having problems watching multiple IP TV streams at the same time and hope the call centre don't check your records.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8