x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Whats your current favorite game, no HPC/CE

1 2
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 1:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

As a result of a small little tag game between Snappy! and myself, I decided to take this conversation to a new level.

Whats your current favorite game.
I'm not asking for all-time classics (however, I will list a few of my own to get things going) but more into games you are currently playing on a regulair basis.

We all have our all-time classics, but it will be nice to know what other forum members do in the times they do not work or play with their CE device collection.

My current favorite game, as my avatar has been displaying for a few months is Star Wars Republic Commando on the XBOX.
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swrepubliccommando/

The game is a #D First Person Shooter game like doom/quake/unreal, and you are in control of a team of 4 Clone Troopers that have been trained as commando's. The game is based upon the unreal 2004 engine, and looks absolutely awesome.
I'm not going to give a full review, but defenately have a look at the website (flash required) to get the idea of the game.

I have an XBOX, because I love 3D Shooter games, and am sick of spending a fortune on upgrading my pc every time a new game comes out. I have a P4 2.4 Ghz system witt an older ATI video card I use for testing my programs, but it's not even capable to play SW Commando at a sufficient level. On the XBOX, $150, it's running it fluently. Even Doom3, the most horsepowerhungry game at this time, runs flawlessly.

Some of my other favorite games are Operation Wolf on the Arcade, Metal Gear (not Solid) on the MSX2, Last Ninja series on the C64, Zelda on the Gameboy Classic and my absolute number one game of all time, Carmageddon 1 for PC Dos.

Edited by PocketDVD 2005-07-10 1:20 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 9:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

LOL you maniac driver. I loved Carmageddon as well Altho the later ones with 3D pedestrians just didn't "feel" the same as the sprites It is by no means my all-timer tho.

If I had to pick one, it'd be Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D on PC (better graphics and a real joystick compared to the N64 original). Hack I bought a Gamecube just to play the sequels It is essentially an aerial dog-fight game without the flight sim hassle; just worry about your manuveurs and shooting, which proved to be a damn good game.

There are many other Star Wars games I play, but another classic that kept me coming back was Jedi Power Battles for Playstation. It's one of those love it or hate it games. One big problem a lot of people had was timing their attacks to make the combos, and another is precise jumping in 3D. All I can say is that it only *looks* easy to be a Jedi.

A few months ago I was still into Unreal II XMP (eXpanded MultiPlayer) on PC. The level of combined tactics, skills, and teamwork required to play the game competitively has simply blown me away. It was the best multiplayer online game I played, that pretty much died for the wrong reasons.

On the Gamecube, other than Rogue Squadron II, I also had Super Mario Sunshine when I bought the machine. Turned out much better than I expected. I just didn't let go until I collected all the "shines" in it There is a stack of other Gamecube games I have yet to play deeply, but lately it feels a bit odd to play in front of the TV (just watch it mostly) maybe I'm just getting too old. It might change soon tho, as I just ordered a new monitor with TV tuner, so I can play the Gamecube on my desk
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 10:20 PM
#
H/PC Elder

On wince ... let's see, I play eVC++ mostly, though sometimes I play with ... oh, you mean games? ... no, I don't play games on wince, except for solitare when I do a quick test on a new HPC. Other than that, nope.

OT WARNING ...

In the past, I played practically every other StarWars games from lucasarts. Let's see, I think it dates back to 1994 with StarWars : X-Wing Fighter, then StarWars : TIE Fighter (its TIE and not Tie, ie Twin-Ion Engine ), StarWars : XWing vs TIE Fighter and the list goes on. When the more arcadish Rogue Squadron came out, I played it while I was working in my first job, if only to down the ATAT with a Snowspeeder. The other parts of that title was to me a bit too arcadish. Like the attack of TIE Fighter sequences, it was more button banging than anything! ... compared to the earlier titles I mentioned (1~3), the earlier three required the finese of Ze Force, while the latter required you to try ... and try ... and try until you clear it. Not much strategy or piloting skill. One thing though, you get to man the upper and lower gun turrets on a Correllian transport class vessel, that has a HUGE striking resemblance to the Millenium Falcon (read: Looks and operates exactly the same! Only reason its not called MF is so as not to warp the story line).

That brings us to 1998 and ... oh wait, I also play a variety of flight-sims like F-15 Strike Eagle, F16 Fighting Falcon 4.0 (or was it 3.0?) etc. Not forgetting the Wolfenstein 3D way earlier and the later DOOM, DOOM II, Quake and of cos DUKE Nukem!! "Come get some!!" ... so that's the 3D FPS and flightsims from 1990 ~ 1998 I played ... oh ya, and also the racing sims like Test Drive II, III. I think TD came out when I haven't owned a PC yet! Car Rally and other track racing games ...

And during that period, there were C&C (No, not Cycle and Carriage, but Command & Conquer!) ... oh and before that Dune, Dune 2. Thereafter, WarCraft.

Those were the days when we spent nights in the hostel with co-axial cables running from room thru windows to room thru windows, along corridoors, weaving through a toilet, across some more corridoor and to a room ... all on the fourth floor!! hahaha ... How on earth we got away with that? ... ... oh, that was when internet was a slow blazing 33.6kbps and there was the tussle between 56kflex and 56k ... what was the other standard by USRobotics?

Back to 1998 ...
First there was AOE (Age of Empires), WarCraft, then WarCraft II, then StarCraft, then StarCraft II and AOK (Age of Kings) "Start the game already!!" ... then came Q3ADemo ... ... my goodness ... that was really frenetic! Frenzy ... Map Tourney2a or something ... beating my colleagues with a PIII-300 with crappy graphics card running on 320X200 resolution ... in order to achieve 30fps!!! hahaha ...

Then NFS (Need For Speed) I and II. hmmm ... then Q3A went Gold ... Q3Arena ... more frenzy ... and got into 2nd job! ... more Q3A ... and Q3A ... and ... oh Halo came out! We had a XBox and Halo in the guest area, among the foosball and table tennis table ... although its mostly occupied by folks from my department!! hahaha ... oh before that, Unreal Tournament ... ...

and then ... zip ... nothing ...
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 10:25 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My all-time favorite is StarCraft, specially in LAN parties. If only Blizzard ever released SC2 , but i won't think it'll happen anytime soon, and a part of me would like it never to happen, because i think it won't fullfill my expectatives.

Also, there's Grand Theft Auto series, whichever flavor suits you better. I've personally played GTA, GTA3, GTA:VC and i'm waiting to get a new desktop with a decent video card so i can play GTA:SA, which seems to be much better compared with Vice City than what VC is compared to GTA3.
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 11:26 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'd clear some things up, were getting lost here.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT ONLY STARWARS GAMES !

Yes, TIE Fighter was the best SW flightsim ever, yes, Rogue Squadron is the best After Burner(r) clone, yes, the game cube has the most of those games, yes, the PC has the most realtime strategy games that are cool.

(anyone ever played Dune2 on the amiga or on the Sega Generis/Megadrive though)

I was wondering what is being played NOW, a game that you actually started up this week and wasted some time with. Thats my main concern.

I honestly still fire up Carmageddon 1 up at least once a week. I play SW Commando about the same amount.

My pro's about carmageddon 1:

100 different race levels
30+ cars
5 engine, 5 attack and 5 defense upgrades possible
3 ways of winning a race (finish all laps, kill all pedestrians, or my fav, kill all other cars)
runs great on anything above 120mhz/32mb (not on pocketdos though)

cons.
every sequal ended up worse.

I even got a 3dfx card for it when there was a patch availiable.

so, let me rephrase.
what game did you fire up this last 7 days the most, if any?
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 12:51 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I think i understoof your thread but wait... let me rephrase my commentary

Starcraft and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Nobody ever told this thread was only about Star Wars games, and the games i spoke about are the games i am currently playing.

Don't shout, there's no need for it . you can explain it in kind words

I've played Carmageddon a bit, and i found it interesting. but in that moment in my life i was all about Linux, so never really tried it. I think it may be a time to remove the dust off the game's CD
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 10:03 AM
#
H/PC Elder

You mean ... ... this thread is not about StarWars games?? ... hehe ... of cos dear ... it so happen that the few of us were also into StarWars games alot.

And yes, TIE Fighter is one of the best SpaceSims ever. XWing alone beat Wing Commander flat in terms of its realism using a true 3D model instead of a pseudo 2D/3D or what they call 2.5D graphics. This results in the well-known "Tiger-Claw snapping" bug-by-design when you approach the Tiger-Claw at a less than optimal angle and at the last angle, the graphics engine switches to the other sprite based on the other viewing angle.

In XWing, TIE Fighter, XvT and all other StarWars spacesims, true 3D modelling was used, hence its possible to fly through the enclave of a H-Shape transport ship, the death trench of Death Star, the legs of an ATAT etc etc!

(Note to self: Stop steering thread towards SW games! )
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 10:43 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I recently had my go for a bit with GTA:SA for the XBOX. I rented the game to see what it was all about, but it's not really my cup of tea. I didnt get very far, so I didnt experience all the gameplay, but the hassle I had getting on the pushbike in the beginning brought back old nightmares from childhood. Then when I finaly stole a cops car, they got so pissed at me that I had to run to turn the xbox off to save my life.

I would love to play XvsT again, but the problem is, it needs a joystick. thats one of my biggest anoyances of the game. it totaly does not want to run without an actual joystick attached. if some one has a workaround for this, please share. TIE-Fighter is still cool, but a little bit more variation would be greatly appreciated.

I didnt mean to shout, sorry for that. it just seemed things got a little bit carried away too much towards star wars imho. Maybe I was expecting more results like GTA, Dance Dance Revolution (Try that Snappy, you'll love it), Mario DS, Ridge Racer.

So anyone ever played Metal Gear on the MSX?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_(video_game)

(just noticed this, it has been officialy ported to some smartphones too!)
http://www.gamespot.com/mobile/action/metalgear/news_6105149.html

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 5:50 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I wanted to continue talk about Rogue Squadron... oh well.

I kinda played with the Street Fighter games again. Last time I had an itch, and played Capcom VS SNK 2 on the Gamecube. Arcade mode was no challenge anymore, but survival mode was a bit too challenging, more like totally unfair. I think I managed 30 wins at most, at which point the vital bonus after each round was less than what you lose in one hit by the enemy

Then I started playing some older SF. I found copies of Street Fighter Collection 2 (which includes World Warrior, Campion Ed, and Hyper Fighting), Alpha 3, and EX2 Plus, all for Playstation I just played them on my PC thru emulators. Last time I played was only 2 days ago
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 7:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

uh, Zelda people. Only way to go.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 9:40 AM
#
I picked up Puyo Pop Fever for the NDS recently, been throwing a lot of hours into that one..

Of all time, my favorite game is a tie between Tetris and Balloon Fight (the NES versions). I love the (now) oldies
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 10:26 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I think I missed OutOfThisWorld! One of the first with cut scenes based on the same graphics engine.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/out-of-this-world

It employs *very* simple looking polygon graphics to achieve a side-view 2d effect. No fancy 16Million colors, just very simple colors, but it really is great! Superb storyline and game play.

PrinceOfPersia came out around the same time, but I prefer OOTW anytime.

The other one is "Flashback: The Quest for Identity", also by Delphine. Its another classic! Superb game play and story line, although at some point in the game, it does gets a tad bit monotonous! ...

Bubble game? I played it abit while in uni as well, on the games arcade machine in the lounge. Good for a quickie!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 9:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I have Out Of This World and the sequel Heart of the Alien on Sega CD (2 games on one disc).
The sequel has the original plot, but told from the alien's point of view. You control the alien, and use the human's help (other way around compared to the first game). You have different puzzles, abilities, enemies, locales etc.

Price of Persia is a much older game. It was an Apple II game, whereas Out of This World was originally around the early 90's, days of 486.

I think PocketDVD is about to get really mad now...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 11:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

takwu - 2005-07-12 7:38 PM

I have Out Of This World and the sequel Heart of the Alien on Sega CD (2 games on one disc).
The sequel has the original plot, but told from the alien's point of view. You control the alien, and use the human's help (other way around compared to the first game). You have different puzzles, abilities, enemies, locales etc.

Price of Persia is a much older game. It was an Apple II game, whereas Out of This World was originally around the early 90's, days of 486.

I think PocketDVD is about to get really mad now...

ok, since we've started, might as well go further and really get him mad!! hehe

yeah, POP is much older, but I think the PC version port came out around the same time as OOTW, though with better graphics etc.

Now, there is so much graphics and cpu power, but games just lack story lines or gameplay. ok ok, some are still pretty good, but most are run-of-the-mill.
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-07-13 1:06 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

OK, since you guys all keep bringing up old time classics, I guess instead of getting mad, it will just be a mixed stuff thread instead.

I played Flashback on the Sega Genesis, and while great for the time, I'm not really a platformer.

The only platform game I actually finished till the end (without cheats that is) is Tombraider 1 on the pc. I actually finished it twice, once on normal blocky graphics, and then when the voodoo1 3dfx addon card came out, the game basicaly ended up being totaly new again, and I started from the beginning again.
Same as with Carmageddon 1 though, all sequals sucked.

I am just wondering why no-one has brought up the other game side of George Lucas Inc yet.

what about the Monkey Island games, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, The DIG etc etc.

come on.

I still remember doing a workout with some weights in Maniac Mansion to be able to get a garage door open. Hows that for pure classic?

Or the Kazoo in Day of the Tentacle?
The battery powerd bunny's to clear a mine field.

etc etc.

Where is all this pure original gameplay at now?

Sam and Max 2, canceled, Monkey Island 4, flopped, Full Throttle 2, about to be canceled. Where is this going?

(that makes me mad though. Together with no one even attempting to do a port of TIE fighter to windows ce)
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 8