x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 frozen while SD card is inserted

1 2
Anta Page Icon Posted 2012-09-14 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi everybody,I bought a Zaurus recently, the one in the subject. Now, the issue(though I am still not 100% on it being a hardware issue):
When I insert an SD card, the system hangs while the card is inside, when I remove it, all returns to normal. Do you maybe have any ideas what could it be?(the thing that causes it to hang)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-09-14 6:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Off Topic
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2012-09-15 11:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

1. Make sure the card isn't SDHC or SDXC.
2. Make sure there isn't error on the card.

Does other cards work on it?
 Top of the page
Anta Page Icon Posted 2012-09-18 5:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the quick response. Since my question was moved to off-topic, I thought it will remain unanswered for a long, long time.

1. No, it's a micro SD card in an SD adapter (when the adapter is inside, without the micro card, nothing happens, only when it's inserted with the micro SD card, it acts as I exlained. Though, if I insert the SD adapter without the micro SD card, and then insert the micro SD card into the adapter, it will take some time for Zaurus to hang - not more than a minute).
2. Formatted card. (This would actually be the question, should the card be formatted in some different than usual way, or can it be used normally regardless of the format type. Also, I heard that cards used on other systems can fail to function on this, but am not sure about that - like I said, I tried a couple formatting types and they too don't give any results)

Tried one more card, Kingstone, but Zaurus does not see it - cannot detect it.

Once again, thanks for the reply.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-09-18 5:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Make sure the card is formatted to FAT16, not ExFat or NTFS or something else...
 Top of the page
Anta Page Icon Posted 2012-09-18 7:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you, but, one thing, is the segmentation of sectors important?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-09-18 7:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It can be if the first segment doesn't contain the proper boot sector needed to be recognized. I've had memory cards that I've installed different operating systems on that needed to be re-low level formatted before they could be formatted and then used...

However, if you can simply format the memory card on your desktop using the standard Windows formatting command, then it should be just fine...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2012-09-18 11:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

SL-C1000 doesn't support 2GB SD cards according to a post I read on a blog.
Try using 1GB or less and see if it works. Also, like Rich says, you have to format using FAT16.

Edited by stingraze 2012-09-19 12:03 AM
 Top of the page
Anta Page Icon Posted 2012-09-19 7:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you for your help, as soon as I find a 1GB SD card, I will try it out.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2012-09-20 8:25 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
There's an ipk that will allow you to run 4GB SD card (and maybe larger). Search the zaurus forum:

http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?http://www.oesf.org/forum/

I have the SL-C1000 and run a Kingston class 6 4GB SD card (with that ipk).

I'm attaching the ipk, but suggest you search it out just the same since it's been sitting in my hard drive for years.

This driver may well solve your present problems as well.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2012-09-20 8:26 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments zaurus-sd-driver-update_2.1-for-Cxx00_arm.ipk (30KB - 8 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2012-09-20 10:49 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Jake: That is really cool. Maybe someday I will find myself a SL-C1000 and mod it.

Edited by stingraze 2012-09-20 10:50 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2012-09-20 11:09 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I had just dug out my Zaurus to check the sd card, and it brought back great nostalgia. Sharp kind of invented the whole netvertible thing. I had forgotten that I had even purchased the 2002 TextMaker for Zaurus app. stingraze, the zaurus forum, while pretty dead at the present, has fine stuff. A wag named "meaney" was the total hero

Jake

Jake

Edited by Jake 2012-09-20 11:10 AM
 Top of the page
neill Page Icon Posted 2012-09-20 8:27 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I too suspect the size of the SD card being the issue. More than 1gb with the stock driver causes a frozen Z.
There's at least 2 different drivers out there for greater capacity.
1....permits up to 4gb, with a SD card.
2....permits up to 32gb, obviously using SDHC (or maybe SDXC ?).
I have success with 1. Have also tried 2, but it never worked for me, despite running Cacko "heavy" ROM on a standard sl-c1000 (also with a similar setup on a sl-c3100), which worked fine according to other users.

With 1, there was a further wrinkle, during installation the driver name changed somehow/sometimes to an unsupported format. There was/is a way to make sure the name format's appropriate, but I can't remember now how to do it. Weird thing was: it only changed format sometimes!! Go figure.
A good start to track down the drivers is here:
http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=2982f07c5ec99cd447f13b19229975aa&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=sd+card+driver
 Top of the page
Anta Page Icon Posted 2012-09-21 4:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you guys, a lot. I will try everything you said. One more thing, if it's not a bother. I got an ethernet card with the Zaurus, but, I can't seem to fing the drivers for it. Do you have any suggestions, like, what to do. Now I don't know if they even exist somewhere on the net, cause I did my search, or I did it wrong.
Once again, thank you all, I don't know if I could, by myself, resolve this kind of issue.

Edit: One more thing, the SD cards I was trying to insert are not SDHC - about one I am sure, Transcend 2GB micro SD card in an SD adapter

Edit: CF ethernet card, though I believe there are no other types of ethernet cards for Akita

Edited by Anta 2012-09-21 4:59 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2012-09-21 4:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, I think we need some brand/model #, but off the cuff, I can't see how an ethernet card for such a device is worth th bother. The cable's bigger than the Z. Have you invested in a cf wifi card? Post back if you need more wifi info.

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11