x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Confession: I bought an Android tablet as well

takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-10-15 6:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

The short version: I ended up buying an Acer Iconia Tab A100. The long version:

With the release of the ASUS Google Nexus 7, a lot of the technically inferior but still very nice Android tablets and devices got price drops in the last little while.

At first I was looking at a more portable Android toy, with Play Store access (an important feature as I planned to download a lot of games from it). So I was really excited to see the Galaxy Player 5.0 and Sony Walkman Z both going for $200 with change.

The former was basically a Galaxy S with a 5 inch screen and no phone... which proved to be too slow for today's web: it couldn't play flash videos smoothly. I loved the size and shape of it, and the features were good, so it was a shame the Hummingbird processor and 512mb of RAM just didn't cut it anymore.

So I bought the Walkman, which has a dual-core Tegra 2 with 1GB, but a smaller 4.3 inch screen. I had a 14-day return period, and I had a lot of fun for the next 10 days or so... It was slightly smaller than I'd like, but otherwise it was great for my purposes... except the 800x480 was a bit limiting for web browsing. I don't know why, because I had no problem with that resolution on my WP7 and IE, but with Android's dozens of browser options I couldn't find a match to the experience I had with my phone. The walkman was also stuck with Gingerbread, with no Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade in sight.

Then one day I saw the Acer Iconia Tab A100 in store, also at $200. This was the first 7-inch tablet with Honeycomb, powered by Tegra 2 and 1GB (same as the Walkman). The higher resolution 1024x600 solved my problem with the Walkman, although the larger size and more weight makes it much less portable (about twice as big and heavy). Also the screen has narrow viewing angles vertically (in landscape).

However, Acer has released Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade to this model, and after trying it in store, I just cannot go back to the Walkman. The faster speed and memory management makes a world of difference. It was hard to believe it has the same hardware spec as the Walkman that ran Gingerbread, and even harder to believe it's the exact same machine that ran Honeycomb. I bought it and 2 days later returned the Walkman.

I also compared it to other tablets. The 2 obvious ones are the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 - both are offered with more internal storage and better performance, but both are more expensive, at $260 and $250 (all prices in Canadian dollars). Considering this is a toy for me, almost exclusively for playing games and web browsing, I wanted to spend the least I can.

Now I have been playing with this Android tablet for over a month. My preferred browser is Opera Mobile, and my favourite games are Super Stickman Golf and Bad Piggies. I think I have been playing with it way too much. Fortunately the gf likes to play with it too (a scrabble clone) or I would be in trouble as with my other addictions hobbies.

I must also justify not getting a Windows RT tablet instead, which I was really excited about and wanted since announcement: the WinRT tablet will likely be 10-inch or larger, and cost twice as much in the near future.

At last, I might have a Samsung Nexio S160 I am finally ready to part with...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2012-10-16 4:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

How is the battery life on it? That is really a great price for it!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-10-16 4:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Sounds like you are happy and have a winner. Unlike me I've had those cheapie MID tablets...they were okay, but made me realize I want a capacitive touch screen, not resistant. Wife had a Kindle Fire till she broke the screen accidently...sold that at a major loss. Even then I was unhappy with the way it responded to touch and the other quirky things about it.

My niece has a Samsung Galaxy tablet with the 10.1" screen. Beautiful, huge, great everything...but she paid almost $500 for it....OUCH!

I think you made a good compromise.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-10-25 4:01 AM
#
H/PC Elder

sorry for late reply... I haven't looked at the battery life accurately, but I guess around 5 hours of web surfing and casual games, but it really depends on CPU load and wifi usage. I usually leave the brightness on auto. I bought this tablet knowing battery life isn't the best in its class, but adequate for my purpose.

rich, I know what you mean... those cheap tablets are very tempting for me too, but they all lack Google play store, that's why they don't work for me. and yea $500 is way too much for a portable entertainment device for me... for that matter I think the PS vita is too much, so it has to be less than $250 for me
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2012-10-25 8:23 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The new breed of cheap tablets come with google play store. The new wm8850's run at 1.2 or 1.5ghz, 512mb ram and 4gb nand and have capacitive screen for under $100.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WM8850-7-Android-4-0-ICS-Tablet-PC-Netbook-MID-WIFI-5-pointCapacitive-Touch-Pad-/251124865065 or just type in wm8850 in ebay search for similar results.

Cheers
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-10-25 8:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yep, nice looking toy, and pretty cheap too. Think I'll just wait for Win8 RT on a machine and see what happens then...

And for about $30 more, you could have a 9" tablet....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Android-4-0-A10-1-0GHz-1GB-8GB-Capacitive-Screen-Wifi-Dual-Cameras-Tablet-PC-/170930603286?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item27cc420516
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-10-30 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

yea the cheap tablets are getting better and better... but there is always something. you know other than play store, I was also concerned about app/game compatibility, battery life, performance, system stability, build quality etc. by the time they fix everything they are no cheaper than brand name ones.

btw, the new Gen of my tablet, a110 I think, is at $200 now, with a tegra 3 quad core... I guess I should have waited for it, oh well I am still happy with what I have
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-10-30 4:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yeah, I bought my Nook Tablet 2 months before the Nexus 7 came out. I felt so stupid. But I rooted the thing and put Jelly Bean on it...it's running much better. Build progress coming along.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-12-04 12:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Still happy with my tablet... I tried to stuff it in my jacket pocket before, but the first jacket failed to hold it in the side pockets; the second one succeeded Now I can carry it without a bag or holding it in my hand, like iPad users are sometimes forced to.

By the way anyone saw the Kobo Arc yet? It's released in Canada first, and I saw it in Bestbuy, however they didn't realize that it used a separate charger (not the USB port) so they left it discharged and I couldn't try it. However I really like the size and the raised bezel (or sunk-in screen). It's a bit of a throwback, but I prefer that so I don't accidentally touch the screen when holding it.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-12-04 1:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Saw one at Target in Mt. Pleasant. Nice enough, but I want my tablet to have the camera facing away from me, not at me. I guess I would prefer both front and rear cameras if I had a choice, but if only one, then away. I don't web chat live, but I might use the camera to capture bibliography data from a library book or something else...like naked pictures of the neighbor's wife using her outdoor hot tub late at night in the summer when she thinks everyone is asleep, not that I would ever spy on her or anything.....

For the record, I bought those binoculars to bird watch.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-12-11 1:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah it seems the trend is to cut cost on Android tablets by removing the rear camera. Since most people have phones or cameras to take pictures with, I assume the front facing camera on a tablet is a more popular feature.

My tablet however has a 5MP rear camera, with flash, for late night picture taking... But I guess once you take the first picture you can't take the second one as the flash would alert the, mmm, wild creature.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2012-12-11 5:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-12-11 6:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

They are all getting cheaper however...I saw at my local Big Lot's today some off brand Android 4.0 capacitive tablet for less than $70...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 27