x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Need an HPCFactor tile

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-10-30 5:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

"I find the new explorer shell offputting and generally unappealing"

Shell is the pseudo-technical term used to define the inteface environment(s) in an operating system
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-10-30 5:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oops! I interpreted that as literally Windows Explorer with the ribbon..... I wasn't intentionally trying to make you mad! bahahah
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-10-30 5:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I dont mind the Ribbon so much, I can see where they wanted to go with it and that it does expose functionality in many better ways than was ever possible before. What often drives me up the wall with the ribbon in Office 2007/2010 is the fact that it decides when it wants to change tabs and quite often when doing aesthetic editing or document finalising I have to spend a lot of effort tabbing or clicking back to the correct ribbon tab. I also dislike the fact that in Outlook they have hidden ribbon tabs (the Search ribbon tab for example). Why would you hide something like that?

Where I do find the interace changes objectionable (other than disliking the look) is where they dumb it down with no way to reverse it. Dumb it down, fine. I am in the <10% of PC users, so fine. Just do not try to tell me that I have to do it that way too. I did not spend years learning how to programm computers and studying computer science to be told how I must use a computer or to be told that I am wrong for wanting to do things on MY computers MY way.

If I wanted that, I would buy into Apple. I CHOOSE not to. If I want it with Windows I will CHOOSE to offer money to Microsoft. I am not CHOOSING to do that
If you want to that is your business; at no point in any of my criticism have I ever said that anyone else has to do anything. The reverse is not necessarily true of what I am hearing back.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-10-30 6:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh, I know we're all entitled to our opinions. I think it's fun for us to mess with each other when we talk about 7 vs 8. I think it's all good sarcastic fun. Bring it!

Personally, I think it's a shame that Microsoft forces Metro on the users that would otherwise reap the benefits of the 'under the hood' changes that Windows 8 brings. Ars Technica wroteup a great post about that. I realize it won't change your mind--nor do I intend to. I just think it's interesting to read about the underlying foundations of what makes Windows NT 6.2 different.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/better-on-the-inside-under-the-hood-of-windows-8/
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-10-30 9:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have said many times in open forum that I have been impressed with the kernel, driver, security and stability changes in the developer previews. Having Hyper-V for example is a major step forward.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-10-30 11:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think it's cool what they did to further improve ASLR--to implement it on DLLs not specifically compatible with it.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 8