x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Which Compaq Aero doesn't have the CF slot bug?

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-10-30 6:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My Compaq Aero 2130 has a major bug causing the device to not be able to power off if a CF card is in the slot. This is quite an unbelievable bug to have in a final product as it makes it useless for almost everyone that would buy one.

As I had said a while ago I stopped using the Nino 300 as my digital recipe book and now use it as an alarm clock, and now use my Casio E-11 for recipes. The problem is that the E-11 uses AAAs and therefor has only about 30% the battery life of the Nino 300. My solution to this was to use the Compaq Aero for recipes and put its cradle on the kitchen counter. Only after I set it up did I remember the CF slot bug and that it can't do the job (I leave the recipes on a CF card).

I think someone said that some Compaq Aeros don't have this bug, does anyone know how to tell if it has the bug or not as I'd like to buy a bug-free one as I really like the Compaq Aero.

Thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-10-31 3:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Having played around with a few Aero 2100 series devices, one thing I discovered is that there are two ROM versions for CE 2.11 on that device. One boots with color bars on the first screen, while the other boots with device information on the first screen. As I recall, the one with the color bars had this bug. I'm not aware of a patch for it. I'd have to dig up my parts boxes to check the ROM number; however, right now they're buried under other stuff in the garage. I'm not sure if I have a spare ROM in the latter version. (The one I've used has the latter ROM without the bug; the ROM number on that one is 177708-01.)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-10-31 6:17 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I was looking at HP's support page for the Aero 2130 and found an interesting note:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=215348&prodSeriesId=96214&swItem=PSG_I9107-27859&prodNameId=96503&swEnvOID=1022&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=3

"This Softpaq unpacks files containing a fix for the Aero 2100 Backup and Restore issue when upgrading from English ROM v1.12 to v1.47 or from European ROM v1.1x to v1.4x or v1.5x.

This fixes the issue where a backup file will not restore when it is made with an early ROM version and restored to a unit with an upgraded ROM version. "

But there's not a SoftPaq to update from 1.12 to 1.47... But this provides evidence that a patch was made available, no? The question is where could itbe?
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-10-31 10:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks for the info, this will help me find one on eBay without the bug assuming the sellers don't mind reseting it to see the first screen.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8