x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Pocket Outlook options

KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 11:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I swear I've asked this before and forgotten the answer. However, I did a search and couldn't find any posts, so I'll ask again.

In Pocket Outlook on HPC2000 (J720 if it matters), is there an option anywhere to "leave messages on server". I've searched my HPC and can't find it. I'd love to use Pocket Outlook vs. Yahoo! Mail when I'm travelling, but I want to keep permanent storage of my messages on my desktop.

Before someone chimes in with "use synchronization", let me just say I don't synchronize and have no need to do so. Furthermore, my desktop email client is Netscape 7.1 and I'm not sure that synchronization will work that way.

If there is no checkbox to leave messages on server, I'll just stick with Y! mail. Thanks,
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 1:05 AM
#
H/PC Elite

You can try nPOP instead, it offers more features than PO, and it leaves messages on server by default (well, it's the only allowed behaviour ). It also let's you authenticate with an SMTP server for sending mails
 Top of the page
elecconnec
elecconnec Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 1:50 AM
#
There's no "leave messages on server" option because it's not needed. Pocket Outlook always does! The theory is that PPCs and HPCs are traveling devices for keeping in touch on the road, and shouldn't allow your "real PC" back at the office to miss an e-mail.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 11:58 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Lol, thanks for the tip, i didn't knew that PO has that option, because i don't use it a lot, i'd like nPOP.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 11:43 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

elecconnec - 2005-07-11 12:50 AM

There's no "leave messages on server" option because it's not needed. Pocket Outlook always does! The theory is that PPCs and HPCs are traveling devices for keeping in touch on the road, and shouldn't allow your "real PC" back at the office to miss an e-mail.

Through personal experience, I've found this is utter BUPKIS! After the PS died on my desktop, I used my HPC as my home PC. Only the email messages remaining after my last HPC P-Outlook connection were downloaded when I logged back on. This really makes using P-Outlook an unattractive option. I may look into the other email client mentioned in this thread.

Thanks,
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 12:50 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

gee does it really delete emails?

delete is set to manual delete in my settings. don't know what that means but..

..use nPOP! or qmail3!
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 1:07 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2005-08-22 11:50 PM

gee does it really delete emails?

delete is set to manual delete in my settings. don't know what that means but..

..use nPOP! or qmail3!

That's for emptying messages from your deleted folder. I'm talking about removing/leaving messages from/on the mail server when they are downloaded.

Cute kitties by the way. My girlfiend has a gorgeous (but mischievous!) black one, but he's a bit bigger than your black one, here. He and his adopted "brother", an orange tabby, have lots of fun together.

Thanks,
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 1:14 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I have to ask. You folks all appear to use a pop mail account. Why not use all web based mail?
I've changed dsl providers recently and by using webmail everything stays the same for me. In fact, I've changed high speed providers a few times over the years.

I've never had issues wih overloaded mailboxes, spam, big attachments taking forever to download and what not. I'm certainly not into making my own dedicated mail server and caring for it. I'm moving away from desktops, remember? Plus I think my dsl eula says no mail servers allowed.

The last time I needed a pop account was to sign up for paypal moons ago. since then I can't recall needing it. AAMOF, I don't even know my pop account details.

To each their own I guess.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 1:38 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

wallythacker - 2005-08-23 12:14 AM

I have to ask. You folks all appear to use a pop mail account. Why not use all web based mail?
I've changed dsl providers recently and by using webmail everything stays the same for me. In fact, I've changed high speed providers a few times over the years.

I've never had issues wih overloaded mailboxes, spam, big attachments taking forever to download and what not. I'm certainly not into making my own dedicated mail server and caring for it. I'm moving away from desktops, remember? Plus I think my dsl eula says no mail servers allowed.

The last time I needed a pop account was to sign up for paypal moons ago. since then I can't recall needing it. AAMOF, I don't even know my pop account details.

Wally,

I own my own domain. That pretty much explains it. While I hope to someday have a Linux box for an email/webserver, I currently have it hosted on Westhost, Inc. (a great hosting service, I might add) I too have DSL, and am on my third service. I went with my own domain upon the last change for the same reasons as you--I'll never have to change email names again! I also have a 500MB website w/10GB per month bandwidth.

That's why I use pop mail. Others, I would imagine, use their HPC for work and may well use their work POP account. Like I said in my original post, one option for me is to access my POP mail through Yahoo! mail, but then I can't send under my own domain. That's the major drawback.

Hope that helps. ;+)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 2:11 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-08-23 7:14 AM

yeah to each their own

it is important for me to have the emails and files on my own hdd (cd, dvd, etc). i can archive them easily then. and i don't have to delete anything - i hate deleting emails if it's not complete junk (spam and the like)..
also i never liked webmail user interfaces... and they don't always work on an hpc,.. and it's much faster to read and write+send emails via pop3 and smtp. especially on an hpc.
gmail is the only exception, i use the webmail interface there, nice, and i don't have to delete stuff. i just archive it sometimes by downloading everything to my hdd.

oh and i certainly don't need a dedicated mail server for all this...

i agree about the isp independent mail account. i've always paid attention to that
 Top of the page
Stephan Bradley
Stephan Bradley Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 11:13 PM
#
Say,

What if you are using your pocket device as your only device? I have an older desktop, but have been slowly getting away from it for anything but website maintenance. I started using my iPaq's Pocket Outlook and pop3 for all my email a couple of days ago, not realizing that my messages were staying on my server.

Is there a way to delete them from the server when you download them with Pocket Outlook?

If not, I am just going to set my server to delete messages after they are more than 7 days old - but my concern with that is downloaded deleted messages again??

Thanks,
Stephan Bradley
Bradley Boatworks
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 11:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Everyone agrees thath npop is the best tool for managing pop mail. I gather it's very flexible and allows you to pick and choose where the messages go.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8