x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Got a new Nino 300, turns out my old one was defective

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-11-15 7:18 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I was always amazed at how atrocious my Nino 300's screen was and couldn't believe Philips would have put a product on the market with such a horrible screen.

I decided to get a new Nino 300 because the card reader door on mine is broken and I wanted a spare. The second I turned it on it was obvious my other Nino 300's screen is severely defective because the Nino 300's LCD looks like any other grayscale LCD.

The problems I had with the original Nino's screen:
-VERY poor contrast, white pixels are much darker than they should be (even if you try to adjust it)
-Unacceptable banding all over the screen
-Weird "stains" where the white pixels sometimes appear darker than they already do, it seems to be affected by room temperature
-Very dim backlight, likely related to white pixels being darker than they should

My new Nino 300 has none of those problems and a crystal clear screen and much brighter backlight, I now almost want a 3rd one because I now realize my previous Nino has a severely defective screen while I thought it was normal until yesterday.

Edited by aab 2012-11-15 7:20 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-11-15 7:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You may be the world's Nino King!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-11-16 5:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

My experience with CE 2.01 Palm-size PCs is that the display sucks period. 2-bit grayscale means a far less sharp display than the 4-bit grayscale in, for example, the Casio E-15. That and the cramped 8 MB of RAM are the two things I don't like about the Nino 300, even now that I've gotten tons of CE 2.11, 3.0, and .NET CF 1.0 apps running on it.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-11-17 5:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2012-11-16 5:58 AM

My experience with CE 2.01 Palm-size PCs is that the display sucks period. 2-bit grayscale means a far less sharp display than the 4-bit grayscale in, for example, the Casio E-15. That and the cramped 8 MB of RAM are the two things I don't like about the Nino 300, even now that I've gotten tons of CE 2.11, 3.0, and .NET CF 1.0 apps running on it.

I honestly don't notice much difference between the E-15's screen and my new Nino's, mostly because I rarely take advantage of the 4bit capability. Anyway, you'd really have to see my Nino 300's screen to understand just how absurdly horrible it is, if you think a properly working 2bit screen is bad, you haven't seen anything. I may post a side by side photo of the 2 Ninos later, it's night and day.

I mostly just use the Note Taker and To Do apps on it so even 4 MB RAM would have been more than enough, in fact until I got this new one I didn't even know if it was the 4 or 8 MB model. I can always use storage cards if ever I needed more space.

What apps do you use on your Nino?

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-11-17 5:02 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-11-17 7:15 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Too many to list here. I just wanted to see what I could get to work on it.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-12-10 9:13 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well it didn't last too long, I had put my Nino on the bed and then I literally jumped back in bed in a way to land my arm on the Nino to prevent it from bouncing off onto the floor, instead I smashed the screen which is the one thing that doesn't work right on my old one! I also just let the last Nino 300 sell on eBay and it was like new!

Luckily it still "works" (you can't really view screen content but it recognizes clicks and I knew where to click) so I was able to backup the data to my PC and restore it to the Nino with the atrocious screen.

Now I need to find a Nino 300 again because I know the screen on my old one is defective and how much easier it is to read with a normal one.

If anyone has a Nino 300 they want to sell let me know. Hopefully one in good condition will appear on eBay soon, they were quite popular on eBay still a few months ago.

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-12-10 9:16 AM
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2012-12-11 12:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

*facepalm*

Seriously, if you found a replacement Nino that you were happy with, why not just take care of it to spare you all the hassle with going through unit after unit after unit. And besides, from the looks of things you already have plenty of PSPCs to play with so why would you bother with just one. Maybe thats just me, I clearly have different priorities to you so go your own way if you want to....just seems strange to me.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-12-11 10:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I think I would swap out broken to good screen to see if it was in fact the lcd or just the invertor or motherboard causing the problem...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 28