x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

An Experiment: Life without Google Search

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-11-20 11:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

So it would seem that I have become resolutely fed-up with Google at this point. Perhaps I'm just getting old. Perhaps I just find their increasingly insidious use of data mining to be a step too far. Perhaps I've simply lost the plot in a way that has detached me from the sheepish normal masses.

Actually, there have been several things which have led me to stand on the edge of the search engine cliff looking down at the Internet is distain.

Google's lack of desire to stay signed out should I ever use Webmaster tools

The amount of information that my Android smartphone is venting back to Google on a regular basis, coupled with Google's innate ability to be able to background sync even though background sync services are turned off
The months of being bombarded with smartphone adverts everywhere I go because at one point this year I got a new smartphone and Google now think that every search is an opportunity to get me to buy another one

I don't use other Google accounts or services, so I am never signed in. This means that the only profile they have on my is based upon my static IP ne tblock. Every time I have house guests they pollute the information against the ne tblock and as happened one month, you get a month of lingerie adverts popping up everywhere.

Customised searching is also annoying. If I search for the same thing on my home machine it will be different if I do it at work because Google attempt to filter the results based upon what they think they know about you (that I need a new smartphone every 2 weeks and copious amounts of lingerie... obviously). It's just annoying.

The fact that in the fairly recent past, they stopped linking you to the website that you click on in the search results - when you click on a blue link header in Google, it doesn't link you to HPC:Factor (say). The message in the status bar in the browser is fake. When you click it now routes to a Google exit tracking server and the bounces it to HPC:Factor (with all of the correctly modified HTTP and JavaScript to try and hide it). This slows it down and just adds another layer of insidiousness.

The final one however is a more recent addition. Google appear to be performing a site activity check as part of their exit tracking. This seems to be causing a noticeable lag when you click on search results. This also frequently causes problems for me when browsing obscure sites because if Google detects that the site is down, it doesn't seem to route you to the destination site and a 404 page, it appears to be holding you at the search results. At least this is my hypothesise. It also seems to happen if the site responds slowly because in recent weeks I have become fed-up of clicking link on Google search results and the browser sitting there in perpetuity with no activity going on.

It came to a head last week when I tried to get into the Microsoft.com download centre from a Google search result and Google would not let me. It just sat there. In the end I have top copy paste the information into the search box on Microsoft.com to get to where I wanted to be (and yes microsoft.com was running slowly as it frequently seems to).

I blocked access to Google API service off of my network last year. The interesting thing is that it means any site that uses JQuery but doesn't host a local copy of the API file (i.e. Google gets to follow the user across the Internet like Facebook do with their damn "like" buttons [also blocked]) doesn't work properly. Half of Yahoo now no longer works, funnily enough along with a large number of other websites.

So this morning I have subsequently removed Google as the default search provider in the browser, on the smartphone and on my intranet.

We were talking about this last week at work and someone mentioned that they have been using a new search engine which has "almost as good results" but is privacy orientated (currently).

As is custom it has a stupid name, being "Duck Duck Go" of http://www.duckduckgo.com/

I have now set this as the default search provider and so far in the last few hours it has been OK - although I haven't done anything too serious so far this morning.

It does lack some things like image search which can be useful. If you need reverse image search http://www.tineye.com/ is the place to go. They started before Google "me too"'d the idea. Sadly their index is now smaller than Google's is.

I shall see if I can survive.

Has anyone else attempted to escape the Goolactic Empire? Will Darth Tracking Cookie try to convert me back to the dark side?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2012-11-20 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Since *I* certainly don't want any trouble with Google, I felt it necessary to report your decision to them and let me say that Google is very unhappy with you, Chris. More to follow, I sure

Actually, since I attend Linux forums, there is a huge movement among Linux users against anything Google (mostly add-ons to their general MS arguments). Midori browser for Linux has duck-duck-go embedded as its search engine. I find Midori still buggy, so I don't much use duck-duck-go, but my limited experience was positive.

I too have an Android phone and have disabled all possible auto-syncing, but you're right, it can't really be done. I'm constantly told about software updates, etc. I use different timezones in different computers/Android and the auto-syncing can be maddening if I'm not careful.

I'm willing to sacrifice all privacy, sexual and otherwise, to Google in return for better search results. When I'm searching a computer problem, the amount of repetitive websites is astonishing--3 million hits of the same ten places. Too busy controlling our personal lives to execute their original purpose. Much like a spouse in that way.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-11-20 2:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I liked the little duckie picture...

however, you may expect a visit from MI6 this week...especially since they just called me about you...I really couldn't understand the accent, but I did pick up something about "some plank just waiting to cop it..." what ever that means...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-11-20 3:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jake - 2012-11-20 2:04 PM

Too busy controlling our personal lives to execute their original purpose. Much like a spouse in that way.

Jake

At least I can sleep easy tonight knowing that no matter how much trouble I am going to be in from the Internet Maffia Google. Jake is going to be in more trouble once I present that to his other half. Though I am intreagued as to what the original purpose of a spouse is

I am afraid that not letting me go to Microsoft.com really was the straw that broke the camel's back. They read everything you write, they filter your searches to make it politically correct and better for their advertisers come their faux profile of you... and we keep consuming.

I am mindful of this

(Facebook.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Facebook.jpg (56KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-11-21 4:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Can I still use Ask.com?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-11-21 9:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You can use whatever you want I've not become supreme lord and master of the Earth... yet.

... but when I do *shakes fist*
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-11-23 7:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Dissidents log: end of day 3

So far so good. I've had some technical and API issues to resolve and duck duck go has hit the mark. In actual fact while starving for a COM issue it returned my own site as the this result. Which can only be a good thing as it is mine

I've had to resort to google image a couple of times as duck duck go doesn't do images.

Still, so far so good.

The SSL search is useful too.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2012-11-24 6:43 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2012-11-23 1:25 PM

Dissidents log: end of day 3

So far so good. I've had some technical and API issues to resolve and duck duck go has hit the mark. In actual fact while starving for a COM issue it returned my own site as the this result. Which can only be a good thing as it is mine

I've had to resort to google image a couple of times as duck duck go doesn't do images.

Still, so far so good.

The SSL search is useful too.

For image searches try typing this before doing an image search. !bi or !gi though I think it takes you directly to bing or google images...

Edited by Yoldering 2012-11-24 7:12 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-11-24 7:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's right, the extension stuff is quite useful.you can write and submit your own extensions for it too.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2012-11-26 8:56 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie, under these challenging circumstances how do you manage to pay for the Android applications? Did you find any work around?
Did you root your phone? Did you scan and clean it of the CIQ and the other rootkits? How do you prevent your phone sending amounts of data, which can be quite costly while roaming?
Your experienced views would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by arlex 2012-11-26 8:57 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-11-26 9:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Arlex,

I have not done a whole lot to it to be honest. My biggest motivator is to stop Google datamining me. I let it go onto Play once a month to do an update check, but that is the only Google app that I allow to run on it. The phone is retail (for a reason) so it shouldn't have a runnable version of CIQ on it.

What do you mean when you ask how I pay for them?
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2012-11-26 7:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2012-11-26 4:41 AM

Arlex,

I have not done a whole lot to it to be honest. My biggest motivator is to stop Google datamining me. I let it go onto Play once a month to do an update check, but that is the only Google app that I allow to run on it. The phone is retail (for a reason) so it shouldn't have a runnable version of CIQ on it.

What do you mean when you ask how I pay for them?

For CIQ there are a lot of free appks, you can download and scan your phone with. Just search in the Play for Carrier IQ. Of the 11 scanner appks I have installed (retail phone), some say no, some say definitely yes, while some say there are traces of CIQ processes. Whom to believe then???!!! :-( There is a funny part also, i.e. a negative result of a scan with a particular appk becomes postive if you install another CIQ scanner. Ha!!!
But beyond CIQ there were rumours about Google own keyloggers that you might highlight with TrevE_LoggingTestApp, details on the XDA Forum. You might get rid of these on a rooted phone if you would also buy the key for that appk (1USD).
There has been a lot of buzz on this privacy topics from Dec.2011 to April 2012 and then complete silence. There were strong recommendations to not even access your bank account. So were there only rumours or not?

Paying for app on the Play by credit card would add heavy points on the profile that you are trying to keep as low as possible, isn't it. So, is there any work-around?
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2012-11-27 8:02 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I left Google in 2009 I believe and I'm feeling so much better for it. I've been a Googledite since what, 1999? I was in Gmail when it was a closed beta. I vowed by Google. Then I heard about their opinions that we don't need anonymity online, and that they scan your incoming and outgoing emails for target words to give you "better ads". Then they messed up and released a ton of search history. The list goes on and on.

So I ditched Gmail for GMX.com, Google.com for Bing. (Bing isn't that bad actually.) I will use DuckDuckGo from time to time. I don't need Google. With online storage that is free and secure, I can upload my documents and download them wherever I am replacing the need for Google Docs.

My dislike towards Google is one of the reasons why I would NOT get an Android device. But after a long hold out, I finally did. Now, I'm trying to skip the Google store as much as I can and instead ask developers if I can deposit money to them directly via Paypal and have them send me an APK file. For the most part, the developers are totally fine with it. Then you have those who are worried I'll upload those APK files. Something I totally understand. It's those times I have to use the Google play store. Ugh.

Screw Google. As soon as Firefox releases their mobile OS I'm ditching Android.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2012-11-28 5:20 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Very nice to hear from you Solidus. Thank you for sharing this with us....;-)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-11-28 4:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Made by Microsoft, so take with a pinch of hypocracy, but it's relevant: http://scroogled.com/#first

I also note that this afternoon Play decided to update itself and suddently presented new terms and conditions. More of "you will do what we say" and "you will only use an app if we say you can" plus they appear to now require you to have Google+ to fully use Google Play.

Expleted to that.

arlex, Samsung's official statement on the subject was (effectively) that retail phones had the API but not the service. The carrier had to request the service be installed, which would explain the partial and inconsistent set of positives. Who to believe in this game... who knows.

Google will never be provided with my bank or card information, so I will never buy anything directly from them and I will never use Google Checkout either. So as Solidus says, if I ever feel the need I will try other methods to get the APK (you just lose the ability to get updates easily). Buy heck, I'm in the camp of people who think a cell phone is a cell phone, so what do I know.

Someone needs to write a new, open source, multi-platform, distributed app store for universal app distribution forn iOS, Android, Blackberry and Windows Live, with an unaligned commerce and payment module that people can use as a real alternative. After all, Samsung has their own app store, as do many OEM's.
It would also mean that things like emulators could go back into the app store.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9