x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Reflashing Ubisurfer?

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4 5 6
Frozen
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2013-03-29 12:07 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

CE Geek - 2013-03-29 6:25 AM

Okay, mine quirked out big time today. When I booted it up, it wouldn't load the default wallpaper, and the "My Computer" icon had a hex sequence in place of the icon name. When I tried to open the wallpaper image file in the built-in image viewer, I got an illegal operation message and the device froze up. When I rebooted, everything had been wiped away (including the driver for the GPRS modem - and an "Unidentified USB Device" dialog popped up as long as the modem was plugged into the slot; I determined this after opening up the device, removing the card, and rebooting). Everything I had put into the flash ROM was gone, as were all the SoftMaker Office files and other pre-installed programs. But, weirdly, it did show a different seaside image for the desktop wallpaper. (I'm wondering if this is a "safe mode" ROM image like the one first flashed on the WM8505.) It was kinda like a hard reset on our earlier CE devices. I have a second one on the way, and I'm going to try making backups of the second device and experiment with them on this one. Maybe I'll find a workaround that can help Mark replace the proprietary interface he's been stuck with.
That would be brilliant, thank you very very much That's what happened to me, I tried running a flash reinstall from within the OS itself (it wouldn't boot from SD)... it wiped it just fine, but wouldn't reinstall, so I rebooted and copied everything across manually, to find pretty much what you described - right down to the "Unidentified USB Device" message.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-03-29 1:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If it is of any help, I sent C:Amie a factory default brand new dump of the registry for these things to add to the H/PC Updates for the Ubisurfer. It would have been neat if you would have dumped the registry when you thought you were in the "safe mode" to see if there was something different there...also to explore the partition manager in the control panel while in that mode.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-03-29 4:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The dump file is now in H/PC:Update
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-03-29 5:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Here you go, Rich:

Attachments
----------------
Attachments safemode.reg (286KB - 6 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-03-29 5:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Cool...I just ran a side by side comparison using CeRegistryEditor...they are as you would expect...the safemode is missing nearly all the keys and values present in the final registry. One interesting difference is in the Datawind Commodule value...the safe mode has GPRS-G105 as the value while the complete registry has EVDO-MC2718 as the radio module. Not sure what that means except it is returning what it expects to find in minipci express slot.

You might try importing the registry that C:Amie just added and see if that recovers anything for you. I had dumped it from the Ubisurfer the first thing before I started adding anything or playing around with anything...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-03-29 7:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No effect on mine, except a change in the desktop wallpaper.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-03-30 1:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Good thing you got another coming...otherwise I'd be all day copying everything...
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-03-30 7:46 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Maybe its just mine, but does thing run really slow & the screen washed out looking?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-03-30 9:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It does seem slower than some netbooks...and the screen is overly bright I believe...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-04-05 8:44 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, so much for making a backup from the second unit. I just got that one the other day, and it doesn't even boot up - just stays stuck on the UbiSurfer bootloader screen. And the seller has sold all the remaining units it had in stock. Can't blame the seller - the listing was "as is" with no returns. I've usually had good luck with these "as is" buys, but not this time.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-04-05 2:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Even "as is" means it should work since it was sold as "new." Ask for a refund...you'll get it. On the other hand, it is cheap enough for a backup parts unit, plus you get a great 3600mAh battery with it which is worth the cost alone.

Send me an email of what you need and I'll copy whatever files you are missing and get them to you. As far as Office 10 goes, you can download that directly from Softmaker once you register with them...

You know what else is weird...this is the only CE device I have that you can actually delete Internet Explorer from...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-04-05 7:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I registered the authentication code online directly from the first device before it crashed - can I just re-enter the code on the device to unlock it after installing?

Is the CDMA card driver copyable from the device?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-04-05 8:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Good question...I imagine so since I erased mine. But I bought one for my sister to play with which is untouched...so I'll make a complete backup of everything and get it to you in the next couple of days...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-04-08 5:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Here's the contact info for Datawind in London, from the site. Maybe someone's actually still there. (The e-mail contact system on the Web page doesn't work.)

Unit 1 Chase Centre
8 Chase Road
London
NW10 6QD
Tel: 0844 999 0990
Fax: +44 0207 636 9550
Email: support@datawind.com

I also sent an e-mail to the above e-mail address using my e-mail client, and got a "delivery failure" notification.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-04-08 7:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Email sent to CEGeek...but for everyone else, most everything is flashed into the ROM and not accessible by any copy program in any method I could come up with. I thought I deleted my CDMA driver, but I didn't....I only deleted the software that call's for it...the customized Ubisurfer program itself. Not looking good for total recovery...wish we could get someone from Datawind or Ubisurfer to respond to our emails.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10