x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Reflashing Ubisurfer?

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4 5 6
Frozen
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2013-04-08 8:39 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

To hell with it. I'm gonna phone them tomorrow.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-04-10 6:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I copied over what Rich sent me, including importing the registry file. Then, when I rebooted the device later, I got an inaccessible desktop with the icons labeled "My Device\0" and "Recycle Bin\0," both of which open and close immediately when tapped. I thought, Wonderful, now I have two UbiSurfer bricks. Not knowing what else to do, I tried opening the Control Panel (which did open from the Start Menu) and opened the Storage Manager. I tried dismounting and then remounting the flash drive, but that had no effect. In desperation, I tried dismounting and then formatting the flash drive, and - whew - I got back the barebones desktop that came up after the original crash. I'm now adding files manually to bring it as close to the original version as I can.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-04-10 9:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Maybe Mark will have better results than we have had...what we really need is a factory firmware image and directions on how to flash it.

BTW, my sister bought 3 of these units and hers are a little different than mine was. The model number ended with a D and didn't include a internal radio, otherwise identical.
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2013-04-10 9:21 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I'm thinking of just giving up right now. I have a dissertation to write at the moment, so I haven't got the time. I would like something notebook-like and cheap that I can use with CE6 on it, something on the same architecture to play with. Any suggestions?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-04-11 5:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The 10" CE 6 netbooks are almost identical in appearance, though a little larger. A few of these are still popping up on eBay from time to time.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-04-11 1:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There were 5 of them for sale this past few days from some guy just 100 miles from me...they were all brand new, 8850 cpus, and they all sold for $51-$66 in auctions.

I bid on one, but really didn't want one again as I had the Wabook Sky and didn't need another...and I was outbid anyways...so no loss.

But they sure were a lot easier to type on!
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2013-04-11 2:27 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

OK, phoned Datawind. The number's disconnected.

Would it be possible to manually replace the OS on the Ubisurfer with another copy? I know it keeps replaced system files on the flash, so that should be possible, right? Or should I just sack it off and try to get hold of another one, a better and faster one, maybe with a higher screen resolution?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-04-11 3:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Newer is always better...
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2013-04-11 3:38 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

OK. Any particular model you'd recommend? The radio isn't necessary, all I want is the standard OS, maybe USB and SD, and WiFi Just something I can muck about with the system on and maybe even use a little.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-04-11 5:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

CEGeek...you're the man with all the toys...what is the most powerful CE device you have, and the most useable with a decent size keyboard?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-04-12 4:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'd say the TinyBook T706 wins in that department, but it's only a 7-inch netbook. I was interested in those 10-inch netbooks too, but got too busy to bid on any of them.

There's a lot of 5 UbiSurfer 9s on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271187340557&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_126wt_913

The one on the upper left has the desktop image that showed up on mine after the crash.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-04-12 10:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That image is one of two that was on mine as well...
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2013-04-12 4:16 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

The TinyBook looks perfect actually. I'll try and get one when I next have money Thank you.
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2013-04-12 8:54 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hmm, here's something I was wondering about... is it possible to get Embedded Compact 7 on one of those things?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-04-12 8:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Only if someone can build a flashable ROM image compatible with its processor.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9