x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Hard drive is failing....

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-03-05 5:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My desktop is an old Gateway E-4610S with an E6700 dual core cpu and 8Gb of RAM. Works fine for me. But my hard drive has started acting up...it keeps getting write errors and has locked up on occasion.

I completely reformatted it, doing low-level formats...and got a ton of disk errors in the process. It automatically locks out the bad tracks/sectors, but after a while, new ones pop up.

So I'm thinking it is time for a new one.

Here is the big question: Do I just replace with a standard SATA drive or do I go the SSD route? And do I get a true SSD, or would it be worthwhile to use one of those SATA/SDHC adapters like so:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-SD-SDHC-SDXC-MMC-TF-Card-to-SATA-2-5-SSD-enclosure-Adapter-with-RAID-function-/111021822394?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item19d96a91ba

or a cheaper one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/high-speed-SD-SDHC-TF-MMC-Flash-Memory-card-to-SATA-Adapter-as-2-5-SATA-SSD-/321026110870?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item4abea5b596

Remember, I'm not into super speed nor am I a power user. I have a handful of unused 16Gb SDHC cards lying around, so I could actually populate the first adapter with 64Gb pretty easily.

Of couse I could just buy a 64Gb SSD for about $60 also...but I was thinking that if I used an adapter, then if something failed, replacing the SDHC cards would be a pretty inexpensive way to effect repairs.

Thoughts...opinions?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2013-03-06 12:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I'd go with SATA SSD.

Nowadays, SSD last much longer than the older SSD according to many sources.
It's much faster than SDHC too! 500MB/s Read on SSD compared to 50MB/s (at max with expensive cards) Read on SDHC. I think if you use SDHC, it will be slower than your HDD.

My Vaio Z is about 2 and a half years old, but its SSD is in very good condition. The boot time for me is the key too. (It's fast!)
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-03-06 1:14 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have A hybrid 7200 rpm/4gb ssd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148940&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Laptop+Hard+Drives-_-N82E16822148940&gclid=CO_Krrj05rUCFcZFMgodUBsAdg is the larger one i linked, i dig it... much cheaper and you will see the difference in cache more than anything i personally think.

just have to get a 2.5-3.5 adapter with it. Better per Dollar in my opinion ....

Edited by thcrw739 2013-03-06 1:22 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-03-06 2:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The hybrid looks sweet...but is more than I paid for my entire computer...don't think I want to spend that much. I can get a new 160gb drive (normal type) for only $40. But I always wanted to try SSD, so I'll probably go that route...if I can beg my wife's laundry money from her...
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-03-06 3:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah i did notice they were a crazy high dollar right now that you mention it, I got the older momentus xt 500gb/4gb ssd early last year for 69.99.

Perhaps its because sea gate just announced that they were going to strictly ssd drives, and dropping hard drives completely so i guess these are going to get rare.

None the less i still don't think ssd drives are at that right amount of GB per dollar enough for me yet, a decent 160gb ssd is going to cost around the same amount if you find a good sale as what i showed you.

Edited by thcrw739 2013-03-06 3:04 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8