x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Newest toy...

1 2
dusty_dex Page Icon Posted 2013-04-29 11:15 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

OK I have finally got this Chips Extreme PC to boot into the CE6 desktop, there's not much else besides Media Player 9 and IE6 browser. Audio plays fine which is the biggest hurdle solved. Oddly there was no audio output until I inserted the 3.5mm jack and rebooted.
Also, I've compiled a couple of test apps with embedded Visual Tools 3 and created a test-SDK for VC++ 4 using Platform Builder 5.0. The test apps compiled and didn't crash when I tried them on the device, the test-SDK isn't 100% fault free however.

I need to get hold of a regsistry editor, file manager and command prompt for MIPS. It turns out the CPU is 100% R4000 and not the stated R3000 of the AMD au1550, perhaps it's a later revision.

Edited by dusty_dex 2013-04-29 11:16 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-05-05 2:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

After numerous configurations for permanaent storage...I finally went with an old fashioned hard drive. I did the usb booting thing, the ide to CF adapter thing, the standard XPE flash rom thing, and I find that for the fastest and cheapest method is the old fashioned hard drive, which works best.

So I cut a slot for the ribbon cable, mounted a 2 1/2" hard drive on the outside, popped off the decorative HP logo cover, fastened the hard drive to the plastic shell, reattached the inner metal bracket, and the reaffixed the logo cover to the hd itself using just a little silicone adhesive. Everything works well....

My total expenses:

T5720 $17 (used)
44pin IDE cable $3 (new)
6gb 2 1/2" HD $5 (used)
1gb SODIMM chip $8 (used)
a/c adapter $7 (used)

Total costs: $40 for a 1gHz full working XP desktop in tiny thin client case....

(Picture 001.jpg)

(Picture 002.jpg)

(Picture 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Picture 001.jpg (263KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Picture 002.jpg (287KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Picture 003.jpg (306KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-05-05 7:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

dusty_dex - 2013-04-29 3:15 PM
I need to get hold of a regsistry editor, file manager and command prompt for MIPS. It turns out the CPU is 100% R4000 and not the stated R3000 of the AMD au1550, perhaps it's a later revision.

There are versions of TRE and Total Commander for MIPS. Now I wanna know where to get IE CE 6 and Windows Media Player 9 for MIPS.
 Top of the page
dusty_dex Page Icon Posted 2013-05-06 8:54 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

@Rich Hawley Nice job.

Be careful with the Windows Updates, it will come to a drive space 'crunch' if you attempt too many all at once. .Net Framework updates are by far the worst if you have .Net v3.5 and up. (and IE8)

Edited by dusty_dex 2013-05-06 8:56 PM
 Top of the page
dusty_dex Page Icon Posted 2013-05-06 9:05 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

CE Geek - 2013-05-05 7:15 PM

Now I wanna know where to get IE CE 6 and Windows Media Player 9 for MIPS.

Platform Builder 5.0 has options for IE 6 or PIE, plus there's WMP9 OCX, plus, command line only wavplay.exe & wavrecord.exe

I don't have much experience with using these tools yet. Biggest unknown is licensing, AFAIK you apply the license to NK.bin.
Also the built files exist separately in the PBWorkspace folder [project name], also they'll need base-address setting adjusted to run from RAM instead of ROM.

Edited by dusty_dex 2013-05-06 9:09 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10