x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Extending HP Jornada 720 battery life

[Frozen]
Frozen
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2013-04-24 6:16 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I don't know if it was my illusion, or something unexplainable.

For once I thought one of the battery pack in My HPJ 720 was going to let down on me, when it constantly gave me only 3.5hours of usage on one full charge. A search online revealed that lithium ion batteries do not have memory effects, meaning you can plug in the AC charger anytime you like.

BUT seeing that the battery pack got less than half of what it's supposed to deliver when new, I was on the verge of stripping it out to swap in another new sets of Sanyo replaceable 18650s.

Before going out to buy that set of new cells, I tried this:

1. I charged the pack till full (the charging led turns green, or so it meant), and let the HPC run non-stop (playing songs with the dimmest backlight on), until it finally died down (true enough, only 3.5 hours).

2. Recharge the pack (without using it at all) back to full, and then turn off the AC power. Without turning on the HPC, turn on the ac power again, the charging LED becomes amber again (not full yet), and starting to recharge again. Let it charge to full again (LED green), and allow the charging to continue until 1 full hour.

3. Turn on the HPC and again run it down non-stop using the same music playing method. This time It lasted 5.5 hours. WOW.

4. Repeat step 2 again.

5. This time I got more than 7 hours.

So, I guess the lithiums also have memory effect like the NiCds and MiMHs after all.

Who knows I may repeat step 3 for another time and finally get 9 hours? (not that I am not dreaming)

Edited by roychanyl 2013-04-24 6:20 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2013-05-30 4:21 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, in my experience, lithium ion batteries DO have memory effect. This is true with my HTC EVO WiMAX's battery, and also my Vaio Z battery.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-05-30 9:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I think it is really a false memory effect, affected by the triggering voltage of the charging/current limiting hardware of the battery.
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2013-05-30 12:06 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

maybe you have a point there, Rick.

after some calibration, my sk17i phone battery monitoring gets back to normal again. I guess, if we alternate ac and powerbank charging on the lithium-powered devices, the battery monitoring may get confused or what not, LOL.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2013-06-01 10:36 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

haha. reminds me of a time my Vaio Z got "51hours" left. lol
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.155 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8