x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IRDA on SIMpad SL4 running CE.NET 4.1

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 11:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi,

Anyone had any success running IRDA on SIMpad SL4 running CE.NET 4.1? I cannot seem to use it to send or receive anything.

TC2.0 seem to start sending, but cannot find any client eventhough a valid device with IR port is facing the SL4. It cannot even start the receiving process, saying that the port is currently in use.

I cannot seem to find any applet in the control panel to access the IRDA port. Running ActiveSync does not show IRDA as an option as well.

Is it the same for the SL4 on HPC2000? Want to make sure before I make any changes.
 Top of the page
kennc Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 6:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I currently run hpc2k on my simpad and there is irda support for activesync (unless "infrared" means something else). I have not used it since I don't have any other devices that use irda. I HAVE used a RemoteControl II software somewhat succesfully so I know my simpad can transmit.

Hope this helped!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 6:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Thanks! ... looks like its time to do some flashing again ... no, not THAT flashing! ... hmmm, do I need IrDA more or IE5.5 more .... grrr

EDIT: I think I will flash to hpc2k just to verify that the IrDA port is working. Then try to figure out what's wrong with it in 4.1.

I got a feeling that the config in 4.1 might have some processes listening on the port by default, locking up the port. But I cannot understand why TC2.0 manages to start the port call but fails to find a device thereafter. ... hmmm

Or maybe I'll write a quick IrDA testing app ...

EDIT: hmmm ... Windows explorer in 4.1 has an 2 options to send to Infrared Recipient and to Receive, presumably via Infrared as well. But both are greyed out. Hmmm ...

It seems like the IrDA is not active at the system or driver level already!

Edited by Snappy! 2005-07-12 7:01 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 7:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Can you flash it to the German ROM, and see if it works. If it does may be we can try some kookiness.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 7:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-07-12 5:12 PM

Can you flash it to the German ROM, and see if it works. If it does may be we can try some kookiness.

Idea is there ... I don't have the link to the German ROM on hand ... psst ... hopefully I do not get stuck on it!

I'm actually quite surprised that so many folks got the SL4 and did not see much of them post anything here (yet!).

Edited by Snappy! 2005-07-12 7:26 PM
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 8:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Try Linux, if the port has a hw error, it'll tell you... Linux always tells the truth (but damn gentoo embedded, it won't boot!! )
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 11:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

matrixcore - 2005-07-12 6:48 PM

Try Linux, if the port has a hw error, it'll tell you... Linux always tells the truth (but damn gentoo embedded, it won't boot!! )

I loaded opensimpad on it before, cannot remember seeing any error messages back then. I might load it with hpc2k afterall, since the 5GB datapak pccard drive will also get detected then.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-13 2:30 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Error messages won't just appear, you've to look for them. in your linux console type dmesg, it'll tell you everything the kernel has done since booting. but beware, that might be a lengthy log...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-13 9:26 AM
#
H/PC Elder

well ... the verdict is out. I reflashed the unit with hpc2k image and lo and behold ... the IrDA is *DEAD*.

I believe it was working but not it seemed to have just died. And I think its just the receiving Ir LED that is dead, 'cos TC seem to be able to get the sending sequence started but not proceed.

Maybe its just a cold solder or something. Ah well ... the good news is that in hpc2k, the 5GB datapak pccard drive works. It spins up and gets detected and works fine. On 4.1, it just stays quiet quiet quiet.

So, I now have to figure out if the LED itself is blown (very unlikely) or whether its a cold solder or what. Time to take out that multi-meter tester.

hmmm ... should this go into the hardware thread, now that its more like a hardware fault?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-13 1:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Certainly worth a chat with Chiark on this one, having successfully salvaged his dead IR lamp.
In his case a transistor had fallen off.

I'm content with it being here or in hardware. I'll move it if you think it'll draw more attention.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-15 9:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-07-13 1:24 AM

C:Amie - 2005-07-12 5:12 PM

Idea is there ... I don't have the link to the German ROM on hand ... psst ... hopefully I do not get stuck on it!

I'm actually quite surprised that so many folks got the SL4 and did not see much of them post anything here (yet!).

haha because earlier only germans had them... now that there were a lot of them for sale on ebay this has changed

german rom... you need emule or some other p2p to find it.. as far as i know
 Top of the page
Niteman1969 Page Icon Posted 2005-07-15 10:57 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Try this site

http://simpad.pdaclub.pl/linki.htm

the rom images are at the bottom of the page.

I do not consider this as being warez etc because
updates USED to be freely available to simpad users
from siemens website before they stopped support
for the simpad

If i am wrong then I apologise in advance for posting the
link.

Regards

Niteman1969
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 8:32 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Niteman1969, it's OK.

The trouble is that we were looking for the German 4.1 ROM, and I don't have it archived either.
As Snappy! Flashed down to prove whether it was the OS or the Diode, and found it to be the diode, I think this threads resolved... but it would be nice to get the German 4.1 image up on the server, several users swear to me that it exists so...

If anyone has it archived, drop me mail.
 Top of the page
Niteman1969 Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 9:20 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

The german rom you're looking for is
right there......
angielski = english
niemieczki = german

Also 4.0 roms
as i can read polish it says the sinuspad
rom has been tested on the sl4 and works.

hope this helps.

Niteman1969

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 10:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Niteman1969 - 2005-07-16 2:20 PM
angielski = english
niemieczki = german

We're specifically after the German CE 4.10 ROM, not 4.00

"niemiecka, CE.Net 4.0" = 4.00