x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Quietening your PC

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 6:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi there!

Another modding/hacking thread here ... for the PC this time.

As some of you may know, the new MOBO in the common PC I use turned out to leave the cpu and psu fan running even when turned off! ... this is very nerve racking. So a new psu came and it didn't solve the problem but came with an even louder fan! grrr

A quick search on google refreshed my memory on a few articles about quietening your desktop (fans).

http://www.nomad.ee/micros/quietpc.shtml
http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/cnoise.html

There are more, but I used the tip from these two sites.

I first tried a single rectifier diode across the positive terminal for the fan but it didn't quite quieten the fan. I think there is virtually no voltage drop for a rectifier! ... but that's all I have lying around. A zener diode is supposed to introduce a 0.7v drop, so I figured its not working. Still sounds like a vacuum cleaner whining!! grrr

I then tried the +ve to 12v and -ve to 5v trick. Heck, it works! Now its a quiet hum.

The CPU fan is still fairly loud but its much much better already! Have fun, but remember this mod has the potential of causing the temperature of those components that the fan was meant to cool down to rise beyond specs! ie, burn up. ... so you've been warned.

In the mean time, its quiet-hum nirvana (or nibbana for Pali! )
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 7:02 PM
#
Very nice work!

I took the lazy route out and just bought quiet components - The case is an Antec Sonata with it's special quiet power supply and autovoltage fans (I have two 120mm fans controlled by the PSU to speed or slow down depending on system temperature). The CPU (Athlon XP 2400+) is cooled by a Silent Boost with Arctic Silver 5 paste.

All in all, a very quiet rig - still noisy compared to some of the small form factor computers built by Dell and the lot, but far far quieter than your regular ATX box.

Next up, I think I'm upgrading to a new case (Antec Sonata 2 ), a new CPU and an even quieter CPU cooler.

I don't get those people who have 8 80mm fans all blowing at full speed.. I like to be able to hear my music and games without having to wear noise-cancelling headphones, thank you!

Edited by corporate 2005-07-12 7:10 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 7:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 7:37 PM
#
C:Amie - 2005-07-12 5:22 PM

Mmmmmmm.

I think I'll just dunk my computer in oil while I'm at it.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 8:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It'll be just cool if you could also get your hdds and cdroms on it and seal it. it's such a shame both require air inflow
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 8:52 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Amateurs....

Quad redundant 150gpm water pumps.
Automatic pump control tied to PC power supply via relays.
Flow sensor and backup pump switchover electronics.
5 gallon tank of distilled water, water-wetter additive, corrosion inhibitor and fungicide.
Derale Series 7000 all copper heavy truck transmisison oil cooler.
Dual Xoxide spiral all copper waterblocks.

Dual AMD Opterons, Baby!

PS. The heat removing capacity is so high, I now regret bolting the radiator to the box fan. 90% of the time, I don't need to turn the fan on. The only sound you hear is the very faint hum of two small aquarium pumps. If you can hear them at all.

Edited by Zapper 2005-07-12 9:03 PM

(DCP_2561s.jpg)

(DCP_2563s.jpg)

(DCP_2566s.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DCP_2561s.jpg (72KB - 16 downloads)
Attachments DCP_2563s.jpg (67KB - 16 downloads)
Attachments DCP_2566s.jpg (58KB - 16 downloads)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 10:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Nice Zapper. But what do you do when you have to move it? Check out this one.
http://www.quietpcusa.com/articles/how_to_silence_a_computer.html Has some good ideas.
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 10:41 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Indeed those are fine ways to silence a PC.

The objective of my rig though was focused on maximum cooling for overclocked dual processors in a loft apartment in an old underinsulated building under a hot asphalt roof during summer. The silence was a bonus.

With regard to moving it.. If the need ever arose, I had built a rolling platform...

Something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38970

Oh, well. Those are the tradeoffs for using salvaged bits and pieces, coupled with excessive enthusiasm I suppose...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 11:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Zapper, you are the cooler man!!

I always thought those water cooled cpus can only be found in those mod shops!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 11:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Just how fast is your PC? Is that a car radiator? I could have used it about a month ago. Anyhow, that is a very creative solution for what you needed!
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 11:28 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Not cool, hot! Too cheap to turn on the air conditioning....
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 11:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yodering, it's a heavy truck transmission oil cooler, stol... um... RESCUED from the dumpster! Sheer waste, that. It was brand new, so I don't know why it got chucked. Anyway, not owning a truck myself, it sat in the miscelaneous junk shelves for over a year before it found it's true calling.

You might get a kick out of the following, considering your avatar.

The dual Opteron's name is Zaphod!
(for those who haven't read Hitchhiker's Guide, Zaphod is the two-headed alien.)

Anyway, Zaphod is a dual AMD Opteron 244 system. My company asked for a bunch of eval units from vendors to try out, and we liked how it obliterated the Xeons, so we upgraded most of the corporate servers with dually blades, and a bunch of workstations from a whitebox vendor as well. Apparently the deal was sweet enough that they gave the 3 eval units to use at no charge. Since these were off the book and I do a lot of CAD work at home, I was able to sweet-talk the boss into taking one of them home with me. Then I promptly overclocked them from 1.8 to 1.9ghz, then ran into the thermal problem. Got the waterblocks from Xoxide, which was having a disposal sale of discontinued Socket-A waterblocks. $10 a pop, out comes the dremel, and bodge them onto the opies. Now they tick along at 2.2. They're beginning to show their age, but hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth...
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-13 2:34 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Zapper, that's impressive!! wow!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10