x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP 720 Jordana / XP Pro SP2 / Infrared connectivity

BruceWeir Page Icon Posted 2013-09-26 10:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a refurbished IBM T42 laptop running XP Pro SP2 with all its updates. Plus the HP 720 Jordana which is syncing properly with the laptop via ActiveSync 3.8 but only through the USB connection. At the moment they won’t connect by Infrared.

I suspect the problem lies with the Windows OS because the icon for IF never appears on the taskbar. According to the Device Manager the IF device exists, is enabled and is working properly.

In the Jordana there is a drop down menu enabling a document to be 'sent' to an IF recipient but my laptop, the recipient, doesn’t respond. On the same Jordana menu is a 'receive' IF function.

But on the laptop there is no such function for sending or receiving a document via infrared even though it has an infrared port ready for use.

Either way I can’t connect via IF.

Any ideas anyone?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-26 1:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Read: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14788&posts=4&highlight=infrared protocol&highlightmode=1#M135439

Read: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0017.asp

In other words, your desktop doesn't use the protocol you need to communicate with your handheld to transfer files directly. But check the device manager on your T42 and make sure the infrared drivers are there and working on your laptop. If they are, then you should be able to use Activesync to connect to your handheld via infrared...of course the IR windows need to be aligned to each other, normally within 6-12 inches away, and you have to select infrared as your connection means in the Activesync window...

And it might help to make sure that baud rates on the handheld and desktop match up...though C:Amie would disagree with this one as theoretically, they should auto adjust themselves to match speeds...
 Top of the page
BruceWeir Page Icon Posted 2013-09-26 5:36 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

At last!!!

I'm not sure how I achieved it but after trying to update IR drivers (several times) in Device Manager something actually happened and I think I have new drivers.

The blessed thing works now - both USB and IR connectivity!

Now I can get on with some writing - and I shall make a donation!

Many thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-09-27 10:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The issue is usually that once you've touched the baud rates in device manager or DCC once, it loses the ability to auto negotiate. After that you need to uninstall the driver or define the speeds manually at both sides.

That said, with older CE 1/2 devices, I found that it was often a requirement with serial connections to step them down from 115200 in order to connect reliably.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 42 - Executed queries : 32