x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP 720 Jordana / SP2 or SP3

BruceWeir Page Icon Posted 2013-09-26 10:36 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

My refurbished IBM T42 laptop XP SP2 is syncing OK with my HP 720 Jordana via ActiveSync 3.8 and the USB connection, but not yet by Infrared.

The Windows download manager wants to update my laptop to Windows SP3.

I’ve asked this question before but want to confirm; will I still get a USB connection between the laptop and the Jordana if I update to SP3?

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-26 1:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yes, no changes whatsoever...
 Top of the page
BruceWeir Page Icon Posted 2013-09-26 5:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm running XP Pro SP3 now and you are so right! The Jorndana is working perfectly in SP3, with ActiveSync 3.8.

Thank you very much for your time and your advice!!! Much appreciated.

Edited by BruceWeir 2013-09-26 5:27 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-09-27 10:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I strongly recommend that you clear Microsoft Update fully, manually as soon as possible. SP2 hasn't been receiving update for some time (Jult 2010 to be exact)!

http://update.microsoft.com/
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-09-27 5:26 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2013-09-27 1:26 PM

I strongly recommend that you clear Microsoft Update fully, manually as soon as possible. SP2 hasn't been receiving update for some time (Jult 2010 to be exact)!

http://update.microsoft.com/

SP3 update was discontinued not so long ago IIRC. He could download it earlier.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-09-27 5:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Huh? XP SP3 is supported until next April, when XP goes end of life and out of finally support.

You can download it from Windows Update or from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-09-28 6:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

What I mean: SP3 was available for download through automatic updates till not so long ago.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-28 7:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Out of curiosity, I just installed XP Pro SP1 to a new machine and then went through the automatic updates via the internet using the standard IE update...it went through the cycle and updated all the way to SP3. With broadband it took a total of 3 hours and 22 minutes for my old P4 desktop installing everything. So Alt Bass, maybe it is up running again...

Then I did it again, but this time used a CD with the SP2 and SP3 executables I downloaded. It took a total 1 hour and 31 minutes.

Then I did it one more time using a CD that I had already slipstreamed with all the updates, including the Net CF 2-3.5... Total time 59 minutes.

See what happens when you have too much time on your hands? I think later on I'll ask my mama if I can do her laundry....
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-09-29 3:29 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Anecdotally, it was hard for me to find updates, the process for Windows verification, etc when I recently installed XP Pro. Even the updates, upon discovery, were cranky about installing themselves. MS really doesn't want you to hang around XP.

Jake

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-09-29 11:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That suggests that you didn't chain them correctly, with the correct reboot points to ensure that pre-requisite dependencies were met.

I don't have problems with the process.

I have slipstreaming guides on my personal site, as Rich says, it is a hell of a time saver.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-09-29 12:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I wouldn't doubt it. But even the MS webrouting (you're at this site, and you want to do this, so click on this link, etc) is piecemeal, so figuring out that chain wasn't the easiest thing for the hard-of-thinking like myself.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-09-30 2:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The fastest way to do it is obtain the required chain list from mbsacli.exe and then use the corporate Windows Update side to batch download the full installers. No annoying MS Download Centre that way
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-09-30 7:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

This is news to me--thanks.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 13