x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Alternative Web browsers for HPC Pro : A new hope?

Sash[DSL]
Sash[DSL] Page Icon Posted 2005-07-12 11:04 PM
#
Ok, so I managed to run pocketDos on my IBM z50(Wince 2.11). Which opens up a whole new world of possibilities to us, poor users of an abandoned system
Anyway, the browser Ive tried to run so far is Arachne http://browser.arachne.cz/
You can run it on your pc and try it out first but I have to say this browser is totally wicked and works FLASHING fast on my pc. The problems Ive encountered so far:

1) The mouse driver in dos doesnt seem to communicate with the wince mouse driver; the only way Im able to control the mouse is using keyboard shortcuts

2)Enabling "write direct to video memory" option didn't seem to help much in performance - sadly even though after numerous tries of running arachne with different videomodes I was able to get it to actually launch, it woks at 0.0000001 fps or something close to that

I havent evem gotten to the point when Id be able to browse the internet I was really hoping a 133 mhz proccessor would be fast enough to run a simple dos application which is supposed to run on a 5, 8 or 10 mhz 8086 cpu with 475 KB of memory. Even in emulation mode.

Next thing Ill try is some text browsers, rock bottom fast. Id rather see something happening on the screen than wait ages for IE to load pages.

With all the stuff available for dos, together we can make this happen. Who's with me?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 5:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey the problem with arachne is that it's supposed to run on a 386+ cpu. it is compatible with an XT but will be slow... it isn't the Mhz that counts here (or elsewhere...).
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-21 7:40 PM
#
I wanna see Opera made available for Handheld PC Pros and Handheld PC 2000s (actually, it'd be nice to see Opera for ALL versions of the Handheld PC!)...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 8