x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

So, I have a MS Surface RT...Now What?

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-10-03 9:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CDF was the Channel Definition Format, there is one here on HPC:Factor if you go into the RSS section at the bottom of the page.

It was basically a way of pushing content to devices before anyone had thought up RSS or the idea of pushing content to devices. IE4/5 could do it as could the H/PC and PsPC (which had no browser). The vision was off-line synchronised content that you would catch up with while on the move. That became RSS ultimately which is XML, which underpins all the feed sync on the apps that you consume on your smartphones, browsers and news feeds.

Microsoft got the commuity aspects wrong, made it too complicated and locked it down to major partners. It failed and was completely removed from IE by version 6.

Yet Mobile CDF was the only official way to consume web conent on the PsPC, showing yet again that they got hardware out there and fell short on ever getting anyone to buy into it.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2013-10-04 10:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Actually, since I have had it a few days, I love the interface and keyboard options this has. It is very fast and has an outstanding battery life as well as touch screen. I think I was disappointed at first because of the lack of a good market. I just have to remember that this is a work issued tablet, that I have for free to use and help me be more productive. It fits that function perfectly. I do however need to order a case for it. I was also disappointed at the size as I didn't realize how big it is compared to a seven inch. I am growing quite fond of this and it can only get better from here. I just have to realize that it will not have the same type of apps that I am used to.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-10-05 8:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What is it that you do? Perhaps that can help with app suggestions?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2013-10-05 2:15 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

One of the uses I will use it for is walk through Safety audits and inspections. On my phone I have the App I-Auditor http://www.safetyculture.com.au/iAuditor/ But, I have already customized my excel files for touch input. It makes the process a little slow. I also do ergonomic assessments, however, I will soon be converting to an online system for that. I am sure that there are other Apps I will need, however, I quit looking after the first few I couldn't find.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2013-10-14 2:15 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2013-10-01 2:16 AM

As side loading linux onto the RT is a full scale chore of quite some proportion... there is a server manager app and a remote desktop app if you have servers to manage.

Other than that, I'd really put it in a draw until October 17th when you can put 8.1 on it. At least then you'll have Outlook and can use it as an email reader.

I cannot see the point of them though all in all. I'm even more disgruntled that I ordered 8 of them for work colleagues in mid-July and they still have not showed up.

So will 8.1 be available as an update? Or will it cost $?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-10-14 2:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you own 8, you'll get it free through the app store on the 17th.

You can get it retail from the 18th.

MS have already released a 200MB service update for it.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2013-10-18 4:14 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, I upgraded to 8.1 and it is much different. Now it is more like a laptop OS. I am so used to using android that I assumed that this would function the same as my normal tablet. Now the surface can be used almost as a real PC.
Also, I now have the snap on keyboard. I am very impressed with this device after a few weeks of use.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-10-18 8:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I dropped 8.1 onto a Surface Pro yesterday, looked at it and my prevailing view is still "meh" (that I an academic viewpoint as well as a technical stance ).

I'm afraid they've lost me on the endeavour and there is nothing that they can do to soften my thinking.

Did you get the hard type or soft type cover? They are quite nice I will contest. The new ones that are thinner and backlit even more so!

Did you clear out Windows Update too? The feature update and hardware base packs should have appeared on there.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2013-10-18 7:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I got the hard keyboard. I forgot to say that I am now in graduate school and this will come in very handy for my needs there as well. I actually do not have the need for the app store at all for the moment. For any tablet needs I still have my nexus. Thanks for the reminder about the update!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-10-18 8:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I see that Microsoft have been releasing apps left right and centre this week too. They released a Remote Desktop Client for Android and iOS this morning.

They've also released a reloaded version of the old Windows 95 Hover game for 8.1:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/hover/4ed20ddc-7d3d-470a-b496-17882f7146d7

If you install it, try typing "bambi" on the start screen
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2013-10-25 11:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I've had my Surface RT since January. Love it..funny thing is, I'm in desktop mode 95% of the time. Love the new 8.1 update. It's genius to have the Metro Screen match desktop wallpaper. Much less visually jarring now. Thank goodness. I also have some RT desktop apps installed. Mainly use 7zip.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 8