x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

cruising Page Icon Posted 2013-10-08 5:54 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Is there no one that creates any software for HPC anymore?
Pretty tired to install total outdated softwares on my Jornada that i cant use or have any use for

I have like 45 softwares that i have, and no use for
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2013-10-08 6:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

What kind of software do you need? Is this a "fun in the toy store" thing or are you trying to fit this device into your lifestyle (use for notes, diary, keeping records, etc.)?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-10-08 8:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm curious too...what software is it you need or want?
 Top of the page
LX Kiddie Page Icon Posted 2013-10-09 2:22 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Emulation is fairly lackluster, especially on older devices.
 Top of the page
cruising Page Icon Posted 2013-10-10 10:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hmascience - 2013-10-08 6:54 PM

What kind of software do you need? Is this a "fun in the toy store" thing or are you trying to fit this device into your lifestyle (use for notes, diary, keeping records, etc.)?

Just anything that is usefull, fun and make it worth to use my jornada. Since i finaly made my Jornada work on WiFI hotspot on my phone + recieve mail (cant send mail)...i dont know anything more to fix/do with it, i WANT to use it more and not let it collect dust.

And you can barely go on internet when all sites use to much memory and make Jornada hang it self, trying to go on this forum on my jornada = soft reset 10 of 10 times.
And the webrowser is so old that you cant access hotmail/outlook, banking sites etc.

I know its an outdated machine, but it must be some usefull things you could do with it?
what do YOU use your HPC for?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-10-10 1:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The Internet problem is not going to get solved, there has never been any proper momentum towards porting an open source browser over to CE and while the possibility exists still, the market is too small, work great and hardware limitations as you have pointed out, numerous.

The lack of RAM on the 700 series means that it couldn't even load firefox's parser module, let alone render anything.

If the Jornada Flash ROM replacement project had ever amounted to anything it could have been different as a flash ROM and more ram would have meant new CE versions, Linux and Android in a more convenient form factor. Alas only a few flash boards were ever produced and they didn't add additional RAM in the prototypes.

You can stick Linux on it and it will do more in web terms, but it is extremely inconvenient and very fragile.

So with that said and ruling out accessing web content, what do you want it to do for you?
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2013-10-10 2:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm not a Jornada guy, (Mobilepro and Psion Netbook Pro), but basically use them to write. Notes, diary, rough drafts of articles, short stories, etc. I'll get 6-8 hours on a charge when needed. Listen to some music while writing. Otherwise minimal distractions (like resisting the urge to check my email or web... of course, these days, that's why I was issued a phone, so sometimes I need to overcome my guilt from accidentally-on-purpose leaving it somewhere).

I use the brower (rarely) to view downloaded webpages for references. Usually references are in PDF.

I have to admit that since I have an Atom netbook with an extended battery, it gets the nod when I'm OK with carrying around the slightly larger package and don't need true instant-on. It plays nice with my work network which in turn ties me into Google Apps... but that's another rabbit trail about my requirement to play nice with others...

jt
 Top of the page
RJP Page Icon Posted 2013-10-11 6:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

It´s very sad, that the Handheld PC World is no Growing any more. Handheld PCs are very useful Devices, wich make your life easier. Sure, i´m a Pocket PC Fan, too. But the Pocket PC World is also not growing any more. HPCs and PPCs were all "banned" by smartphones...and I don´t like smartphones ;-)

I hope everybody understand my english
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2013-10-12 10:53 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I think that the problem is that the HPC market has been sandwiched by two classes of computers: ultra-portables/netbooks and smartphones. Android for instance has instant-on but the few devices that have keyboards use the netbook form factor and remove the touchscreen factor. Productivity software pales in comparison to other Windows and Linux OSes, they really are just for media consumption.

There are a few options if say, you're not bothered about losing a Windows UI and integration. The Nokia E90 for instance, has a similar form factor but S60 was supported for longer than even Windows Mobile was. If you want a decent-size keyboard plus touchscreen, and access to some media, that wouldn't be a shabby option.

As for the word-processing side of things, the Psion 5mx was legendary at the time and the keyboard+battery life far surpasses any of the HPCs available ever. You can't really send emails or browse the web without looking like an antiquated ninny, but for note-taking, essays and some other things it gets the job done. The nice thing is that unlike CE they're not tied down to proprietary communication software, so as we enter an era where ActiveSync becomes unviable, Symbian's nature will likely lend itself a longer shelf-life. If you're not bothered about having CE, of course.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 14