x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ordered a ASUS Transformer Book T100

thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-11-15 10:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Got really fed up with the flaky (4 total) dell xps 10 refurb units they were sending me a wile back when i ordered one, so i gave up and went another route.

Got a Transformer Book T100, full windows 8.1 detachable keyboard dock, 8-11 hours of battery life.

Maybe this Asus will make up for it, it did cost more than the xps 10 refurb but at least its not a dell.

I'll have it later today...ordered local delivery

Amazon Link below

They sell a cheaper 32gb version as well

lot of videos and reviews around the web, but if anyone is interested in what i can say ask away.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2013-11-16 5:20 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Spoiler alert: None of the below is Windows CE, but the form factors do resemble our HPCs of yore.

Recently someone listed on ebay a few instances of my most wanted computer of the past few years, the lifebook UH900. I was about to do some serious bidding to land one for $400-600, but by happenstance I walked into a staples shop and noticed an Acer W3 Windows 8.0 8" tablet with a bluetooth keyboard with tablet stand and 64GB eMMC storage + matching 2GB RAM. The lower price, newer windows, better screen, and newer tech hence newer battery led me astray. In the mail today arrived the W3 and in the ebay completed auctions were some sold UH900 devices which had been pardoned from my bidding activity. Everyone seems happy!
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-11-19 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Here's a link to a boot video i made, extremely fast. http://youtu.be/QGVqYrI8k60
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-11-19 6:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Good stuff. The machine looks like a lot of fun. Keep us posted during your experience.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-11-19 7:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Impressive Steve...but who is the guy at the end of the video...he looks much older than the thumbnail person here...
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-11-19 8:27 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I actually ended up getting it for $349 because amazon had put down the price over the weekend so they refunded the difference from the original $379 price.

Will try to think of somethings to post about... It seems as fast as my pentium G645 desktop when it comes the web surfing & loading things.

Rich that's a kid from a movie called better off dead (1985) always asking for his "2 Dollars" he is probably my age or older now.... That other guy is me, 38 years old.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-11-19 11:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

What made you go w/ the Transformer rather than the MS Surface? They're about the same price. Obviously, the T's keyboard looks far superior?

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-11-19 11:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Liliputing gave it a very good review. I'm starting to jones. I assume the battery is not replaceable, and if not, does that worry you?

Jake
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-11-20 1:14 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

well after fiddling with the dell xps 10 for the limited amount of time i did, I found RT to be to limited.

I found i could get something in the same form factor, but faster, full windows & more powerful under $400... so surface was out.

Yeah its got a built in battery, but so does most of the other tablets out there...

I did a short battery test today, 3 hours played a 480p YouTube video streaming and only lost about 10% an hour.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-11-20 11:23 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Amazing battery life. When the battery eventually gives up the ghost, I wonder how hard it is to replace... But clearly, users don't need a second battery for long trips, etc.

Jake
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-11-20 11:39 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

And it charges on from a standard micro usb port you find on android tablets and such, A matter of fact the charger looks almost identical to the nexus 7 charger. I i dont see why you couldn't just use a phone charger or any standard universal micro usb if in a bind, and need a charge.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-11-21 10:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It may be the same 5V DC, but some devices require a higher amperage rating to charge a lithium ion or polymer battery to full capacity. What is the amperage rating on the charger?
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-11-22 4:44 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

As far as i can tell 2.5 amp, I know for a fact however it takes a twice as long to charge from flat to full than a phone or tablet would take.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-11-22 10:49 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Takes twice as long to charge...but last 3 times longer too! Sweet!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2013-12-07 7:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

That is a nice tablet indeed.

For me I am still liking my surface though.

My only question remaining is heat and gaming performance (both speed and battery). My tablet stays fast, cool and efficient even when I play Halo for hours. How do the Bay trail atom tablets compare in that regard?

Note that I am using Surface RT... the Surface 2 has a faster quad core processor and full HD screen, so that may compare even better to the current atom tablets. I am not saying atom is not good - back in the netbook days I often found netbooks way more powerful than a more expensive iPad. But nowadays I think arm processors have gotten ahead of atom...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9