x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Another nail in the coffin!

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-12-06 12:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Since the development of Windows RT meant that the Windows software stack ran on ARM, there was no longer any reason to stick with Windows CE...
Read the full article HERE.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-12-06 12:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
And in the article linked further down the page http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/as-dell-drops-out-microsoft-still-doesnt-give-buyers-a-reason-to-pick-windows-rt/ folks there don't have much good to say about the Surface, either.

Discouraging; it's all going Zune (two of which I own).

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-12-06 11:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

So what will they be using in embedded devices, GPSs, and the like? I don't see Windows CE going away - I just see it becoming more concealed.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-12-07 12:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually I think you'll see GPS devices start going with Android...

For embedded devices, most have ARM processors, and that is what the article was about...expanding Windows Phone 8 to work with everything that is ARM based and dropping RT completely.

That will certainly end any hope of Embedded Compact 7 to ever gain any momentum...which it really never has anyways. I've yet to see any tablet with it even though it has been out several years now....not that I really care since it doesn't run any of the older CE stuff anyways...

But you don't even see CE6 tablets these days either...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-12-07 1:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The big advantages of CE are that it has a small footprint and can run well on low-power devices. I have to wonder whether Android would perform well on a GPS. Maybe more GPSs will rely on smaller versions of Linux than Android, though, given that some GPSs were already Linux-based before the Android era.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2013-12-07 8:10 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I thought we had a similar discussion 20 months ago...
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16581&posts=8&start=1

Android is no smaller than Windows Phone, as Linux is no smaller than Windows NT... it all depends how much you want to include in your build. so yea its entirely possible to have an embedded system running a form of Windows 8 - if not the entire thing.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-12-08 9:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Just went by my local Big Lots. Having a pre-Christmas sale I guess. I picked up an Emerson EM545 Android Tablet. It is a little 4.3" Android 4.1 capacitive touch screen tablet...pretty nice really

Anyways, the cost was $29.99 on sale with another 40% off. My entire cost after Michigan taxes.....$19.07.

I can't believe how cheap these things are these days....another reason for the demise of CE

(em545.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments em545.jpg (56KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-12-09 3:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have a 7" Android 4.2 tablet, and I'm already tired of having to repeatedly use a file manager to close apps I stopped using a long time ago (hasn't anyone heard of an 'Exit' command?), and tired of it confusing swipes with taps. It's not as wonderful as it's been made out to be.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-12-09 1:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You get no argument out of me about how convoluted Android is...I agree. I love CE hands-down! But for the average person on the street with little or no knowledge of CE, all they have to choose from are various versions of Android tablets since nothing else is on the market. And the price...wow, what a driving factor.

I just don't see anyone else being able to compete...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-12-10 10:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Gotta admit I can't argue with that. I paid about 75 USD for mine, including a USB keyboard case.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2013-12-11 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Android would be better if it wasn't so locked down to a single UI. Other Linux distros give you the option, why not Google. The OpenPandora's desktop UI (XFCE) is nice but unfortunately the hardware is too geeky, too expensive, and not even close to mass production. I can see it as a good model for future devices but most companies don't see where the profit is, so there's no chance of that happening.

The closest we've got so far is some Android UMPCs that were made in limited quantities and to an extremely limited market. There's nothing now that fulfills all the requirements that were met, say, 10 years ago.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10