x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Running Windows CE over Android

[Frozen]
Frozen
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-01-11 2:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, there were some debates 2-3 years ago about dual boot netbooks or tablets running both Android and Win CE on Arm devices. That was in the early time of Android 1.6 or 2.2 and it appears to me that the Chinese manufactureres were able to provide the respective image ROM with drivers for both OS (not at the same time of course). In other words, the various modules suppliers were developing and packing drivers for both systems. Which I am affraid it is not the case anymore, but what do I know, I'm just a noob.

Basically I have a no-name tablet running Android 4.0.3 with CPU 1.2 GHZ Allwinners A10 ARM (based) Cortex A8 ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l) single core, that I would like to see it running Win CE. Not much luck I guess, since it looks like this topic has disappeared from the face of the earth.

Also there used to be an Android app called Windows CE, probably doing some king of emulation of Win CE on Android, but I cannot find any trace of it on the internet.

On the other hand YouTube is full of (faked?) videos showing windows running on Android and in a few cases even Win CE.

So I wonder if anybody here has a more recent experience in this field than shown in those topics of 2010-2011 on the forum. Any success?

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-11 3:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The last time I looked, There was a version of a firmware flash for Windows CE 7 for the VIA WM8650 netbook. I've also read that it will install on 8650 tablets, but doesn't support the touchscreens and in many cases, doesn't support built in wifi...hence making them useless.

I've never seen a CE emulator for Android...and there are a lot of screen hacks to make Android behave in a Windows fashion...but of course it is stil Android and doesn't run Windows at all...just looks like it. You see it a lot with Android tablets that look like Windows 8.

You can certainly find videos on YouTube that show things...they show a lot of prototype tablets running Embedded Comapct 7, but you have yet to see a release of one for sale. On the other hand, you see a lot of YouTube videos showing alien autopsies as well...so I guess it makes sense after all.

I've never seen a CE firmware flash for your CPU however....
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-01-11 4:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks Rich, you are sooo right....:-(

Have you got a link for that firmware flash for Windows CE 7 for the VIA WM8650 netbook? I know, I know, the risk of bricking the tablet is big...... unlike Windows, Android and Win CE do not incorporate tons of drivers to accomodate any board.... I even did not find any adequate app for Android to speak-up very clear what modules are there exactly in there and from which manufacturers....
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-11 6:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

PM sent
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-01-11 8:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Is this something that should be in H/PC:Update?
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-01-11 9:07 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Sorry folks, coming from the Android freeware world, I forgot to ask about the legal aspect. So how legit is it to install win ce over android?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-01-11 11:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

One of those questions better not asked....

Since the firmware is probably not licensed through Microsoft, I doubt they would be happy about it...

On the other hand, I don't see them actively trying to stop it either...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-12 3:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

They seem to be trying to pretend Windows CE never existed . . .
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-01-12 9:51 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks a lot folks! The CE compatible hardware & drivers appeares to have vanished completely from the netbooks & tablets landscape during the past 2 years......

Edited by arlex 2014-01-12 10:14 PM
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 14