x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Question about Smartphone / Mobile Usage

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-02-06 2:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Hello,

I am conducting a research for an online course I'm taking on edX.

I have a question:

Q. When and how is smartphone / mobile needed for information?

One answer I got from a Japanese participant is:
"Mobile is needed for information in event of earthquakes."

Answers will be greatly appreciated.
-stingraze
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-02-06 9:10 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Creating info:
Line of work documentation
Evidencing faults via camera for immediate delivery to resolver groups
Evidencing quality issues for recording and resolution (camera)
Taking photographs of network point plate port labels when they're stuck behind something and you cannot see it (but need the number on the label) -- prevents moving desks, cabinets etc. in rooms
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-02-06 9:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Thank you C:Amie for your answer!

This really helps in my research.

As for me, I use when I need these information:

Train ride transfer information on the go.
Checking blogs and Facebook for fun.
Checking things I don't understand while researching in the library.
Locating my exact location with GPS using Google Maps for guiding me to a new place I visit.

Edited by stingraze 2014-02-06 9:35 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-02-06 9:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I was trying to think of some non-standard (true) answers for you. To be honest though I'm not really a consumer on the smartphone and I do not allow app location tracking to occur.

I suspect that you'll find that most IT departments use them for creation in one way or another, be it for accessing hard to reach places, documentation or support provision/escalation. It is far more convenient than carrying separate devices and often easier and faster than trying to describe issues to colleagues. Why describe when you can Skype them in or send a photo?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-02-06 9:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Thank you for the non-standard answers.

C:Amie - 2014-02-06 6:45 PM
It is far more convenient than carrying separate devices and often easier and faster than trying to describe issues to colleagues. Why describe when you can Skype them in or send a photo?

Yes, I guess these days companies are doing the BYOD (Bring your own device) things these days too.
I guess companies issue smartphones for business use when this cannot be done.

As for 3rd party location tracking, I'm not too fond of it so I limit location service to mostly Facebook and Google Maps.

Edited by stingraze 2014-02-06 9:57 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-02-06 12:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Smartphones are needed by families these days, when both parents are working, it is critical for them to stay in constant contact with their children.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2014-02-06 2:05 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm under a Wifi (and 4G) umbrella, so the smartphone can generally replace my laptop/desktop for info access. But, that's just a fancy way of saying email, text, and reference docs (that are either online in Google Drive or downloaded pdfs).

I'm not a big fan of using it for creating much more than short emails or texts due to my irritation with the touch screen keyboard.

My Android phone has a 4" screen. I work as a secondary school administrator in the US. I live 3 blocks from work.

If it wasn't a work phone, I suspect I'd be consuming information that looked like games, music, videos, and webpages. But, I'm not sure that it'd be able to displace my other (less mobile or older) devices.

I can say that a much greater number of clients (parents) respond almost instantly to emails these days compared to even only a few years ago. Out of 250 student families (at a private boarding school), I can think of 2 that specifically don't do email or text (their accounts are flagged so that they get a phone call). A handful probably have given us bogus "special" email accounts that they don't actually use.

jt

stingraze - 2014-02-05 9:43 PM

Hello,

I am conducting a research for an online course I'm taking on edX.

I have a question:

Q. When and how is smartphone / mobile needed for information?

One answer I got from a Japanese participant is:
"Mobile is needed for information in event of earthquakes."

Answers will be greatly appreciated.
-stingraze
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-02-06 11:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Rich Hawley - 2014-02-06 9:51 PM

Smartphones are needed by families these days, when both parents are working, it is critical for them to stay in constant contact with their children.

Thank you for your answer. Yes, parents need constant contact with their children. I heard there's a law or guideline where there's a minimum age for children to stay alone in USA?

hmascience - 2014-02-06 11:05 PM

I'm under a Wifi (and 4G) umbrella, so the smartphone can generally replace my laptop/desktop for info access. But, that's just a fancy way of saying email, text, and reference docs (that are either online in Google Drive or downloaded pdfs).

I'm not a big fan of using it for creating much more than short emails or texts due to my irritation with the touch screen keyboard.

My Android phone has a 4" screen. I work as a secondary school administrator in the US. I live 3 blocks from work.

If it wasn't a work phone, I suspect I'd be consuming information that looked like games, music, videos, and webpages. But, I'm not sure that it'd be able to displace my other (less mobile or older) devices.

I can say that a much greater number of clients (parents) respond almost instantly to emails these days compared to even only a few years ago. Out of 250 student families (at a private boarding school), I can think of 2 that specifically don't do email or text (their accounts are flagged so that they get a phone call). A handful probably have given us bogus "special" email accounts that they don't actually use.

jt

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I think email is really crucial on smartphones. My friends and I usually use Facebook for messaging nowadays since I can get a general update of where they are and things, but in business, email is very much used and important for me too.

It's good that you are under a WiFi and 4G umbrella. We have a lot of 4G/LTE coverage here in Japan, but not a WiFi umbrella that much. Most WiFi spots here are subscription based and the ones in Starbucks are free, but need registration to use.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.157 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9