x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Newer non-Windows CE handhelds?

1 2
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-16 8:50 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hi, arlex,

The jlime site at http://jlime.com/forum/index.php and its links to downloads/documentation is the go-to place. Their how-to's are sharp and their download sections along with the repositories are still up. Were I you, I would download everything from their site ASAP, including the repositories--there's not much activity or recent development, and I fear this project may have already ended.

For me, my distro-hopping was guided by my dislike of abiword. If you can live with abiword--which isn't that bad; it just has poor manuscript-making qualities (smart quotes, em dashes, etc)--then definitely go with the current jlime distro or the gpe version. They're better built than Opie or even Familiar Linux GPE.

As for the cf formatting, that can be tricky, and you have to have some knowledge of linux-workings along with gparted experience. If you're willing to ship, you could send me several 512mb-1gb compact flash cards and I'll set them up for you with distros of your choice.

Let me know if you get stuck, but do download everything and have it well-cataloged, then you won't waste time looking through the web.

[You know, I lived in Bucharest for three years, adopted my daughter in Arad. Romania, obviously, is one of my all-time favorite places in the world.]

Jake
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-02-17 8:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Let me know if you get stuck, but do download everything and have it well-cataloged, then you won't waste time looking through the web.

[You know, I lived in Bucharest for three years, adopted my daughter in Arad. Romania, obviously, is one of my all-time favorite places in the world.]

Jake

Thank you Jake for answering me so fast, thank you for the offer to support and flash my CFs with Linux and finally thank you for the nice words about my country.
Interesting about you living in Bucharest, when was that? I mean was it before or after 2006, the year I have joined this community? It's a pitty we did not meet eachother then, who knows how the market of the HPC would have looked like....;-)))
I will follow your advice about downloads and see what happens after (in terms of my JLime installation).

Thank you once more!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-18 2:46 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Yeah, I lived in Bucharest from '95-'98. I could walk to the U of Bucharest, taught there, and thoroughly enjoyed the students. I still correspond with one. Didn't buy a handheld until '98, though. The pre-Linux Sharp Zaurus, a great machine.

Good luck with the Jlime builds. Let me know if I can help.

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 26