x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Newer non-Windows CE handhelds?

1 2
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-02-11 7:09 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I'm thinking about getting another handheld computer but I'm not sure I want to get another CE device. I've had several over the years and know the platform and its limitations pretty well. Frankly, I do wish sometimes that my devices could do more. Even with Jlime, these are old machine we're talking about.

I do really like the pocketability of the HPCs but there have been some other devices out there which offer a lot more capabilities than the Jornadas (sorry I think the MPs are just too big). The thing is, however, that pocket computers are a rather niche market so I'm sure I don't know of all the handhelds which have been marketed. Here's my list of known non-CE handhelds:

OpenPandora
Viliv S7
Viliv N5
Fujitsu Lifebook (not pocketable I believe)
Sony Vaio P series (not pocketable?)

Are there any other more recent keyboard-based handhelds that were/are made that I've left out?

Edited by Duckworth 2014-02-11 7:32 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-02-12 4:29 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

What about Netwalker PC-Z1?

http://www.sharp.co.jp/netwalker/

It's made by Sharp and runs Ubuntu 9.04 .

Edited by stingraze 2014-02-12 4:30 AM
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-02-12 6:56 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yes, thanks. I also remembered the UMID palmtops as well.

Does anyone on this forum have one of these devices and can share some thoughts?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-02-12 10:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I really want to have the Netwalker PC-Z1, it's pretty cool.

The only experience I have are various Linux SL-C Zaurus series, but I like the SL-C750 the most.

The good thing about this Zaurus SL-C750, compared to devices like Zaurus SL-C3200 is that it has Compact Flash slot and SD slot for expansion but with no spindle.
The SL-C3200 has 6GB Microdrive inside as well as Compact Flash and SD, but for me, I don't really trust having a miniature hard drive since I move and use these mobile devices a lot.

For me, I like being able to use various Linux tools like tcpdump and things. (I'm learning to use those tools still btw).

Recently, I've started programming on Scheme on my Sigmarion 2 using Pocket Scheme.
It's pretty nice experience, much better than trying to program on modern smartphones with touchscreen keyboard.

Maybe someday soon I will get the Netwalker PC-Z1...

Edited by stingraze 2014-02-12 11:09 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-12 12:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I've always wanted a Netwalker PC-Z1 as well, despite its tepid reviews. Sealed battery too, right? Oh, dear... I have the Zaurus SL-C1000 and I agree with stingraze that I'd rather have the ssd model than an actual hard drive. The Zaurus was a lot of fun, and I tricked it out as best I could with a full TextMaker, Opera, ftp, bluetooth, the whole bit, but I never use it now. Which says something, I'm not sure what

Jake
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-02-12 4:00 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I used to have a Zaurus 3100. I never used it. The keys were too small and I never liked the Qtopia interface. Unfortunately it somehow got broken so I could never load up an X-based distro on it.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-12 4:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I tried the other distros, too, and while it was a feat of programming and there were so many enthusiastic users, I ended going back to Qtopia. Speaking of Qtopia, I recently got Familiar Linux Opie 8.2 to work well on the J-720. Using a custom 2.4 kernel, it does do a real suspend and I was able to get some nifty Qtopia apps to run--TextMaker, HanCom, Opera 7.55, and PortaBase. Never liked the limits of Abiword, so I was glad to have Jornada Linux that could do real word processing.

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-02-13 12:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Jake - 2014-02-13 1:26 AM
I recently got Familiar Linux Opie 8.2 to work well on the J-720. Using a custom 2.4 kernel, it does do a real suspend and I was able to get some nifty Qtopia apps to run--TextMaker, HanCom, Opera 7.55, and PortaBase. Never liked the limits of Abiword, so I was glad to have Jornada Linux that could do real word processing.
Jake

That's cool! I want to try getting NetBSD working on my Sigmarion 2, but partitioning the CF card is a little bothersome. Maybe when I have lots of time I will get around to it.

Seems like Familiar Linux Opie 8.2 works on Zaurus too? Maybe I'll try it, or get Debian working on Zaurus.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-13 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, I think Opie Familiar 8.2 does work on the Zaurus. And I certainly cribbed heavily from the Zaurus forums to get the Qtopia apps to run on Opie.

IMHO, Debian is a big reach for the Zaurus' CPU. It's been done, I know, but everything has to work overtime. Let me know if you ever need pointers about an Opie install on the J-720 (I don't have a Sig, unfortunately). It took a while, but I ended up liking it better than Jlime or even the GPE userland. Konqueror is an okay browser for the J specs.

J
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-02-14 7:48 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Just for reference, here are some other devices I've found:
* Fujitsu UH900 aka LOOX U/G90 (Windows)
* Kohjinsha PA (Windows)
* Sharp IS01 (Android)
* Willcom D4 (Windows)

I ended up purchasing a Jornada 728 instead, however

For what it's worth, it looks like you can still buy a Netwalker here:

http://shop.conics.net/index.php/computers/pda-mid.html
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-02-14 9:47 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Oh yes, IS01.

I have the device, it's really good, I like how well the keyboard is made, but it's a little too small for typing "normally", so you would have to thumb type for regular use, I think.

There's one phone called F-07C that runs Windows 7. Very small, with a fold out keyboard. Maybe I'll buy one day when it becomes in the $100 range.

http://www.fmworld.net/product/phone/f-07c/
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-14 9:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Good choice, I think, the 728. Runs Linux much better than the 720, and when you trick out WinCE with Netfront, RedGear, and some PPC apps, you'll be glad for the doubled RAM.

Oh, take care w/ Jlime/Opie/etc. You'll be playing w/ kernels and some of them will freeze the J w/ a sharp yellow line across the screen. Not a problem if you're there, a problem if the battery isn't pulled right away.

I burned a nice little line in my screen. But the screen wasn't in the best shape to begin with, and interestingly, the line has substantially faded over the past weeks. I have a better 728 that only runs CE.

Good luck,
Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-02-15 8:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Jake - 2014-02-15 6:06 AM
Oh, take care w/ Jlime/Opie/etc. You'll be playing w/ kernels and some of them will freeze the J w/ a sharp yellow line across the screen. Not a problem if you're there, a problem if the battery isn't pulled right away.

I burned a nice little line in my screen. But the screen wasn't in the best shape to begin with, and interestingly, the line has substantially faded over the past weeks. I have a better 728 that only runs CE.

Good luck,
Jake

Ouch.

I installed Jlime on my MP900C a while back, and it didn't have issues for me... Maybe because I stuck to the regular kernel?

Duckworth - 2014-02-14 4:48 PM

I ended up purchasing a Jornada 728 instead, however

Cool! I always wanted the Jornada 72x series. It's kinda hard to get em here in Japan.

Edited by stingraze 2014-02-15 8:46 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-02-15 8:17 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Might be just a J thing. The 2.6 kernel has suspend issues which is why I had to kernel-hp to a custom 2.4.

Jake
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2014-02-16 6:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2014-02-12 11:26 AM

I tried the other distros, too, and while it was a feat of programming and there were so many enthusiastic users, I ended going back to Qtopia. Speaking of Qtopia, I recently got Familiar Linux Opie 8.2 to work well on the J-720. Using a custom 2.4 kernel, it does do a real suspend and I was able to get some nifty Qtopia apps to run--TextMaker, HanCom, Opera 7.55, and PortaBase. Never liked the limits of Abiword, so I was glad to have Jornada Linux that could do real word processing.

Jake

Hi Jake, by reading your lines it looks to me that you are well experienced on making Linux distros running on Jornada. I have a J720 and a J728 as well as an MP900C, that I'd like to try Linux on. I did some reading on JLime a couple of years ago, somebody here on this forum helped me with advise on how to format the CF card, but I did not find the time to really do the job. Nevertheless it is still on my agenda.

Your post showed me that there appears to be major differencies on functionality among the distros, therefore your advice would be most than helpful. It would be absolutely great if having a bit of time you could summarize your experience with various distros you've played with by comparing the functional features, better said by highlighting those that do not work properly. I imagine the list would be shorter that way with less time spent from your side. But certainly not in this thread, I don't want to hijack it. Thank you in advance.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.188 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9