x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help me Obi Wan Kanobi you're my only hope!

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-04-28 7:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Once again I have turned to the dark side...

Actually, I picked it up for the sole purpose of turning it into a universal remote for my Charter cable box, DVR, Magnavox DVD recorder/DVR combo, and television and audio system.

MP900 works okay, but is a pain to open it up and point it and such...this thng will just pop out of the cradle...point and shoot.

(darkside.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments darkside.jpg (226KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-04-28 9:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Help is here... Luke Skywalker...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-04-29 1:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

May the microsoft be with you!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-04-30 2:51 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I think your setup is very cool.

Jake
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2014-04-30 5:44 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

which Axim is that? I had an x30 and I really liked it. It didn't have wifi though, so I moved on to an ipaq 110, and then to phones... Is it working well as a remote?
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2014-04-30 5:58 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Very nice setup, I had a similar idea with the Axim x51v with its nice VGA screen and Windows Mobile OS.

However, I didn't like the Consumer IR enabled program which it shipped with and could not figure out the timing and logic to bit bang the COM port to learn and mimic real IR codes from the various remotes in the household. Sold that off during this spring cleaning cycle.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-04-30 7:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have an X30 like that one lying around here somewhere - couldn't resist it at 4 USD including shipping, but the battery won't hold a charge.

The iPAQ 110 is nice too - I couldn't resist buying one of those too (though for quite a bit more than 4 USD ).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-04-30 1:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've been trying the different remote control programs...Novi, PDAWins TV remote, Total Remote, and of course Remotecontrol II. They all install and run just fine, TV Remote is the simplest to use, but is also the least configurable. I want to be able to create my own skin set and also be able to run macros that will send multiple commands to my remote with a single keypress.

The others do that. Total remote is very easy to create skins, but you have to categorize them by function, i.e. dvd, tv, vcr, etc. The problem then lies in the inability to have a single screen that mixes commands from different devices. Still creating the skins is a snap just using colors like Resco's Pocket Radio did to differentiate between the active press areas.

Still playing with Novi...mixed feelings there.

Mobi, it is the X3i. It has built in wifi which is nice. Even nicer is the button on the bottom right that turns the wifi on or off with a single press.

Remotecontrol II really does everything and much easier...probably the best of the bunch. I've been playing with the demo and it is super. Just not sure I can convince the wife to let me spend another $30 to buy the full version.

The one thing on the Axim x3 that I like is the long long range of the infrared signal. I've found it to work easily to over 20 feet.

smb_gaiden, the x51 was the Cadilliac of the Axim line...you should have kept it!

CEGeek, the x30 could almost be its twin depending on which model you got...x30 new battery is only abut $10.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2014-04-30 6:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I should rig my old iPAQ in a similar setup. After it going missing for about 3 years, my mom found it in the shed lmao. Shocked it survived in the 43C+ heat during the summers. Hacked it updated to Windows Mobile 6.1, but feel like 5.0 was a tad bit faster..but I love being on the newest version

rx1950
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-05-16 12:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So I finally got all my remotes programmed using Griffin Total Remote. And this Dell Axim is fantastic for range. I mean it works across my 20ft living room without any problems at all.

Still that got me thinking about something I had picked up years ago. They are a couple of pyramids made by Radio Shack. Model 15-1959. One is an infrared receiver that transmits a radio signal for about 100ft. The other is an infrared transmitter that accepts that signal and sends an infrared signal about 40 feet. They work great, even through walls.

The point being is that I could use any HPC to do the same thing my Axim is doing just by placing the receiver near my HPC and setting up the transmitter in the same room.

I love toys.

(Picture.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Picture.jpg (243KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-05-16 7:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You mean so you can change the channel of a TV you're not even watching?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-05-16 8:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yep...that's it. Or actually imagine you cable box is in the living room, but you have both your livingroom and bedroom tv hooked up to the same signal line. With this you could watch tv, change channels all from the bedroom without having to go into the other room to change the channels.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 12