x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Surface RT Woes

torch Page Icon Posted 2014-04-30 6:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

So, yesterday, I was wanting to get my Surface RT charged (that I bought back in January 2013) so I could go to the coffeeshop and work on my online class. I always prefer charging prior to going as outlets are always scarce. I plug in my charger, and the tablet says it's on, but not charging. Charge using different outlets, and different cords..no avail. Grrrr!

I bought my RT from the Microsoft Store, so I called them up to see if I could bring it in to see what was wrong with it. The earliest appointment was a few hours from then, so I set it up. An hour before, I get into my truck and head over. Rush hour traffic in Phoenix starts way early, and I hate taking the highways during rush hour, so opted for side streets. Finally, I get there a bit early, check in... Twenty minutes after my appointment, finally get helped.

The associate tries both of my cables, and his, to no avail, then chiding me for using the 48 watt plug with my RT. I had bought the 48 watt plug for my RT that I know for a fact supported the RT, haha, I know what I'm doing--I'm a tech geek! He then tells me I will need a replacement (I bought the insurance on my Surface), and he'll look up to see if he has any more Surface RT 64GB models (analogous to what I have). The next available shipment wouldn't arrive until 3 May (four days from that time), but it wouldn't be of any cost to me.

I did want to explore all of my options, however, so I asked if I could somehow turn in my nonworking RT, and pay the difference to get the Surface 2..and what the breakdown would be--cost difference between the 32 and 64GB models. He insinuated there would be a $50 deductible plus the difference of upgrading. I was prepared to pay up to 200USD I think. I mean, the RT did get kind of slow...lol.

He comes back a few minutes later and tells me the cost between the 32 and 64GB models are the same, so I may as well go for the 64GB model...which only cost me the $49 deductible! So I got a brand new tablet for 49USD! He also reset my warranty so it applies to my Surface 2 now.

I love the Surface 2..the subtle things it adds make the experience so much better, especially after being on the RT for over a year. Slimmed down weight especially is noticeable. The screen is ten times better-even my mom noticed!

Now just at the coffeeshop writing this post, with my Microsoft Trackball Explorer. Decided to take a picture. No selfies though...lol.

Edit: Fixed Image Code

Edited by torch 2014-04-30 6:55 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-04-30 8:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Joe, we almost had a "selfie" if the bezel would have been a tad larger...

(joe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments joe.jpg (33KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-04-30 8:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Great story and well done Microsoft for thinking customer care first in allowing the warranty upgrade option.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2014-04-30 9:12 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Rich Hawley - 2014-04-30 1:02 AM

Joe, we almost had a "selfie" if the bezel would have been a tad larger...

Hahah! I should make an HPC:Factor #Selfie thread!

C:Amie - 2014-04-30 1:32 AM

Great story and well done Microsoft for thinking customer care first in allowing the warranty upgrade option.

Well, I'm glad I thought to ask about trading it in. By default, I don't think they would've told me about it unless I asked.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-05-01 4:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You have to be careful with those accidental "selfies," Rich. We had a thread some time ago about a guy who posted a computer on eBay and took a pic with the display up and the computer off - while wearing only his underwear. You can guess the result.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9