x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Getting cheaper and cheaper...

1 2 3
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-19 6:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I just bought a brand new Android tablet from a USA distributor in eBay auction 191210504214. Nothing special about it:

Android 4.1.1
CPU Allwinner A13 1.5GHZ
RAM 512MB
4GB NAND Flash
7 Inch Capacitive Screen 800 X 480
Front camera .3M pixels
Rear camera 1.3M pixels
Data interface USB host 2.0 high speed
802.11/b/g/n wifi
2D/3D AMD graphic acceleration, built-in 3D gravity sensor

But the price for the Green one...and this includes delivery: $35.99

How cheap can these things go? Seems they sell them at different prices determined by the color of the plastic...that's weird...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-06-19 7:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Have you heard today's news about the low cost Android devices which have malware burnt into rom and are transmitting everything you do to china, self installing new malware apps and violating your accounts. ..
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-19 8:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Good thing that I don't keep any info on my handhelds that are security risks...

Unless it makes the tablet electrocute me...I'm not worried.
 Top of the page
wkt Page Icon Posted 2014-06-20 2:16 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Electrocute - a nice idea for a handy/phablet

But i read ( hopefully a joke ) that the smart guys/girls(?)
plan to fabricate beheading roboters - execution by them
is then quicker as by a guilotine...

BTW : I think in at most 10 years ( prophesy ! ) we have
a supercomputer in our pocket for the price of a pocket
calculator ( about 5$ ??? ).

I LIKE IT !

Dont tell PictureBook that I do...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-20 5:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nice little toy...posting this with tablet now. Seems to work well.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-06-23 12:38 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Your HPC:Factor account clearly isn't important to you, unless you don't save passwords/delete cookies every so often.

In my wider family there are several people who, I get the distinct impression that they are buying gadgets for the sake of keeping up with the times rather than to actually improve their work or leisure. Either that or they won't have thought it through and they end up misunderstanding the product, particularly the software.

I'm holding a Galaxy S2 phone right now, it's coming on three years but I have no reasonable reason to replace it yet. It does everything I could ever want, considering myself as a poweruser. Why should anyone else with less of a background in electronics not think the same way?

Edited by Paspie 2014-06-23 12:39 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-23 12:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

For many, their Android smartphone is a part of their life...and they do everything with it. My in-laws have all but given up their laptops and such and use their smartphones for everything.

Not me. I'm still a solid desktop type of guy and use my portable devices for those times that I'm not at home.

In the past few days I've taught myself how to manually install .apk apps on my device manually as well as using Google Play. I've installed utilities that allow me to print to my wireless printers. Most importantly I've installed a task manager that shuts down all the crap that seems to continue to run even when I've left the app.

The simple web browser in Android 4.1 is far more powerful than any ever on any of my HPCs. I love the capacitive screen that I don't have to beat to death and scratch up like my old resistive ones...and I'm sure I'll love more about it in the future.

I've pushed my Mobilepro 790 and 900C to the limit...and they just can't go no further...

This little thing can.

BTW, I don't keep any passwords on any mobile device...I don't save them or store them...unless there is some nasty that can capture my keystrokes and send that data to some evil person...then I'm really not too worried.
 Top of the page
wkt Page Icon Posted 2014-06-23 4:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I still navigate through the web under WinCE6.

The reason : I like to save Webpages in .html Format but
under Android the browsers I found dont allow this any more -
they prefer saving in .pdf Format.

Edited by wkt 2014-06-23 4:36 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2014-06-24 1:38 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Cheap Android tablets have come a long way in the past three years since this thread: tablet thread

Edited by Yoldering 2014-06-24 1:39 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-06-24 8:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2014-06-23 4:48 AM
Most importantly I've installed a task manager that shuts down all the crap that seems to continue to run even when I've left the app.

That's one of the things I hate about Android. Geez, have we learned nothing from the Pocket PC days?

Rich Hawley - 2014-06-23 4:48 AM
The simple web browser in Android 4.1 is far more powerful than any ever on any of my HPCs. I love the capacitive screen that I don't have to beat to death and scratch up like my old resistive ones...and I'm sure I'll love more about it in the future.

I like the capacitive screen too, but theoretically Windows Embedded Compact 7 was supposed to support it as well, including multitouch gestures. My recent project has been tracking down a Via 8650 tablet to install UberCE7, which does support touch screens. (More on that later.) As for the Web browser, the jury is still out IMHO. I get lots of "The browser is not responding. Would you like to close it?" interruptions even while browsing easily manageable Web sites like this one.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2014-06-24 5:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I can't understand the passion towards CE when RT is already out and even runs on some of Chinese products.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-06-24 5:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Which Chinese ones Alt Bass? I didn't think there were many more RT's out there than this list intones
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Windows_8_and_RT_tablet_devices#Windows_RT

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-24 6:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I wonder why we haven't seen an RT on some of these generic cheapo tablets yet...and if there were...what software would it run or is available. On Android right now there are tens of thousands of apps.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2014-06-24 8:45 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2014-06-24 8:24 PM

Which Chinese ones Alt Bass? I didn't think there were many more RT's out there than this list intones
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Windows_8_and_RT_tablet_devices#Windows_RT

Sorry, confused with generic Win8 Tablets.

Rich Hawley - 2014-06-24 9:37 PM

I wonder why we haven't seen an RT on some of these generic cheapo tablets yet...and if there were...what software would it run or is available. On Android right now there are tens of thousands of apps.

There is an x86Win8->ARMWinRT translator.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2014-06-26 11:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2014-06-19 1:15 PM

Have you heard today's news about the low cost Android devices which have malware burnt into rom and are transmitting everything you do to china, self installing new malware apps and violating your accounts. ..

I've actually thought that this could be conjured up by the Chinese. It seems very possible.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11